Rebirth of Monster Mudder

Yes, it's getting fuel, broke the injector lines loose at the race when we were in the pits to ensure we were getting fuel to the injectors and cranked it over. Got fuel to all injectors.

Well, it was gnawing at me, so I quit working for a few minutes and ran out to the shop and pulled the gear retainer off the cam. Key looks intact to me.

34464303941_607e8ef68a_b.jpg

No obstructions or fluids mixing that I know of. Oil looked good when it ran onto the ground pulling the plug out of the pump to pin it. Will pull the air filter off the turbo and check that way, it just has a short piece of upturned pipe on the exhaust side and smoke comes out when trying to start it.

When trying to start it, it smoked, wouldn't fire off on either in the pits. It died coming out of the pits, not sure if I'd let off on the throttle yet or not, but pretty sure I hadn't. Hard to remember chain of events in 5 seconds time... and of course my logger didn't record the run... so I have no data to look at.

Just going to check all the other components out hopefully tonight or tomorrow and see if I can see anything odd or weird. If I don't, then put it back together and time the pump back to 20 degrees and see if it will start.

I checked the rack, removed the afc housing and watched it move as I moved the throttle linkage.

Don't know on the govenor or plungers sticking. Can check out the plungers as I start putting the truck back together. I talked to the pump shop guys at Thompson's today who built my pump and they can't think of a reason it happened with all I've checked.

Won't get the dampner bolts till saturday so will do a little more poking around till then tomorrow and see what I can spot.

Didnt you say it wouldn't crank on starting fluid either? If so it almost sounds it's a cam or valvetrain issue.

yeah, it wouldn't start on either either, why I was worried the cam was broke. But got to thinking if it's not starting the injection cycle till after TDC, it could be quenching. It would smoke on cranking it but wouldn't fire off.

If your rack is free the plungers will not be stuck. Don't check rack by moving throttle by hand, plunger could be stuck and you are just seeing the back part moving. Use a long screw diver and lightly push forward just behind the big spring. It should take very little effort to move forward.

Last edited:
I'm sure you would know if this was the case but no chance water is in the fuel. Did you go thrue any bad weather on your trip?

OK, will check it out. Not going outside in the 60+mph wind and driving rain right now... Might mess my hair up. Will probably be late tonight or in the morning before I can look at it, getting ready to head to my nephews elementary school graduation.

No water in the fuel, ran fine up until it died and I put over a gallon in the fuel cell of new fuel I mixed the day before from the same source I fuel up all my trucks from. Never have an issue from the place, all brand new tanks and equipment in the last year and they sell bulk to all the oil leases around here and other companies.

Ran out real quick, tested rack after removing my fuel plate, and moved it with a screw driver behind the big spring

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back