Rebirth of Monster Mudder

Pretty sure, going to check cylinders and injectors tomorrow when I'm off.

Had the best laugh tonight. Went to little nephews kindergarten graduation. They were dancing to some song and they were supposed to hold up 1 finger.... he flips off the whole crowd. We were all dying except his mom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was worried all along something got bound up in your pump to shear that key. We didn't start slipping timing until we say blew a trans on take off and the engine went half way to the moon.

Of the vids I watched of you, you weren't close to those R's. Once we installed the adjustable gear, we spun it half way to the moon several times and had no trouble. Even stuck the rack twice at wot. Still, we never sheared a key.

Just some info for ya. Might want to just pull down the pump.

If it won't run on Ether, I'd say there is a valve train problem. Even when we sheared the key at UCC with the big bad 16mm pump and 5x038" injectors injecting fuel around 100* ATDC, it still ran and fired up on Ether. It sounded weird with fuel burning so late in the engine cycle but it ran. I wonder if you broke the cam or slipped/sheared the cam's key and the valves are no longer opening at the correct time. Did you pull the valve cover and see that all the valves are actuating properly when you crank the motor? If yes, pull and injector and see if the valves are in overlap when the piston is all the way up.

Last edited:
I pulled the injectors yesterday and stuck my scope into each cylinders and watched as each piston moved up and down as I barred it over. It all looked great. So I started putting it back together yesterday evening. I triple checked the injection pump timing before closing it up.

Had to stop and put a carrier bearing in my dually and found the trans seal was leaking too, so after 3 trips in town yesterday, had to wait a day for the right trans seal to get in. I finished putting the truck back together this morning along with the dually.

Bled the injectors, and it fired almost right up. Sounded and ran much better than before the race. Was easy to start. BUTTTTTTT found the head gasket was blown on the front of the head. So, guess I'm ordering a new HG and fire rings for it monday and hope Haisley has them in stock when I call monday morning to order it and I make the cut this time when they ship.... Didn't last time and had to scramble to find a head gasket.

Not a very good pick of the scope screen viewing a piston...
33792573594_3f9f7be2c8_b.jpg

Well, after pulling the head.... found 6 melted pistons around the edge. So I'm betting that had something to do with it. Guess I'm building a new engine now. Anyone have the winning lottery ticket numbers for Weds' powerball?

I'm guessing the timing was off when I put it on, my fault for not double checking it, combined with the .90 housing on the turbo and the fuel from the 13mm pump, that's what did it in. As to why I couldn't get it to restart, I don't have a clue.

Will start pulling the engine tomorrow night when I get home from work and making some phone calls tomorrow to start figuring out parts and how I'm going to swing an engine rebuild at the first of the season. Not looking realistic to make the first points race in 3 weeks now.

34502602562_a0d0473c1d_b.jpg

34502601702_df9662722c_b.jpg

34623769386_9daec3d82e_b.jpg

34623768246_81e8490605_b.jpg

34623767506_59747d2f11_b.jpg

34623766696_767dd64d8c_b.jpg

33854707993_4304f7670a_b.jpg

33854706553_a9a759c244_b.jpg

33854706013_ee983739ae_b.jpg

33854705233_fe3b70c240_b.jpg

33854703913_5bf21fd1c3_b.jpg

33854703213_ae3a86364a_b.jpg

why I couldn't get it to restart, I don't have a clue

I didn't look back to see if you did a compression check. The first time we blew ours up, Will Terry nailed the problem. We had tiny pieces of material holding the valves open just a little bit. I lapped the valves in, filed on the pistons, honed, installed new rings and pistons where necessary, thing ran fine. Didn't mind beating on it a little harder after that. lol

Guess I'm building a new engine now

Maybe just a set of pistons 'eh?? What pistons are you running??

Last edited:
I'm running machined down pistons because I'm using .80 longer rods for a 19:1 CR

No, I didn't do a compression check, rings are all intact from what I can tell so far by just looking at them from the top. Might be broken though.

Sent some emails and made a few calls today and have come up with my game plan. I'm going to be building myself a new engine long term, but to get through the next few weeks of races in June, going to find a set of std bore marine pistons, and put them in the engine and run it while I'm getting work done on a second block and crank. Once it's ready, we will pull my engine and swap all the needed parts over to the new block setup.

I'm moving from my s475 with 87mm hot side to an s480 with 96mm hot side and a 1.1 ar.

Will post more up about the new engine plans as I get them finalized and move forward on it.

34302764760_68e8c41723_b.jpg

34302764700_ae0b2b1985_b.jpg

I'm moving from my s475 with 87mm hot side to an s480 with 96mm hot side and a 1.1 ar.

Just curious why you selected the 96mm exhaust wheel? We have always ran the 87mm. Harder to spool for sure but more air up top.

Sounds like a good plan you've put together. At least you will hopefully get to race more.

need more air up top, that's what caused the melt down... talked to phil a little bit today on my converter, he thinks it's loose enough to handle the 96mm, if not, will ship it to him to get loosened up more when we drop the new motor into the truck.

Put the engine on my stand last night and pulled the pistons. They are pretty ate up. Should have some new ones machined in a few days to drop back into it. Just going to do a hone job on the cylinders to clean them up as much as I can before putting them back together. If I was building it for long term, it would be bored out, but this is just going together to hopefully get through 3 races and then I will be getting my new engine together, then this one will be torn down and bored with the rods going back to CP for them to inspect.

The new pistons and rods for my engine are about 6 weeks out, so I'm picking up a 2nd block and getting the machine work done on it to bore it out and bore out the cam journals to run a billet steel cam.

Today I received the new head gasket and fire rings and my huge order from Altronics with all the sensors I ordered. Going to spend the next few days getting bungs welded in and wires routed while I'm waiting on parts. Also have a new turbo on the way.

33897532274_e9e0754e71_b.jpg

34577782382_4cfc58e7ae_b.jpg

34739880735_4c45266806_b.jpg

33897529794_2de8a95a8e_b.jpg

34739879195_283509760e_b.jpg

While waiting on my pistons to get done, spent a bit out in the shop today and pulled the pipes off the intercooler so I can drill the holes and weld in the bungs for the air temp thermocouple on the hot side and the pressure and temp for the cool side.

How do most people rig up the a pressure port on the exhaust manifold? cooper line for a while and then the gauge or sensor?

Should have the last couple of weld in bungs I need monday along with the ball hone I ordered to hit the cylinders with before going back together.

We coiled a couple feet of copper up and then switched to plastic. We didn't run a filter and it worked for a while.

Back