rod and main bearings

super duty04

What is everyones preference on rod and main bearing brand? The machine shop that is doing my motor is a friend of mine and I get everything at his cost if I order them from him. He uses a lot of federal mogul bearings but I'm not sure if they hold up well in these motors. Thanks in advance for the help.

Clevite mains and Cummins bi-metal rods for anything stock to fun, Clevite H series rods and mains for all out.

Clevite for stock engines. Scheid coated race bearings for performance builds

Scheid coated race bearings for performance builds

Anything special about these bearings other than the coating? Assuming its a DLC coating? Coatings are very inexpensive these days. I've noticed some huge mark ups from retailers supplying these "special" parts. Im fortunate enough to have a coating shop within driving distance but for the price some people charge I could still see a cost savings by shipping and having it done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I want to say Scheid gets their bearings coated at PolyDyn here in Houston

When should rod bearings be replaced? I'm rebuilding an engine with 135,000 can the stockers be left alone?

When should rod bearings be replaced? I'm rebuilding an engine with 135,000 can the stockers be left alone?

That would partially depend on what failure you're during to fix by overhauling it.

Monkey Fist Rage

Nothing mechanical, left water in it and cracked the block.

I'm sorry i didn't realize it was you. if they have no physical defect i wouldn't worry about them.
It's not something i would do, but some people will reverse the position of the bearings to account for wear from thrust.

Monkey Fist Rage

King bearings

Anything special about these bearings other than the coating? Assuming its a DLC coating? Coatings are very inexpensive these days. I've noticed some huge mark ups from retailers supplying these "special" parts. Im fortunate enough to have a coating shop within driving distance but for the price some people charge I could still see a cost savings by shipping and having it done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Homewrecker see above
What's the difference between cummins and Clevite bearings.
Nothing that I know of. I believe they are one In the same

I was just making sure. I have an engine I am slowly collecting parts for and I can get cummins parts at a semi decent price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homewrecker see above

Nothing that I know of. I believe they are one In the same

By a set of King Bearings, get them coated by the shop of your choice and you'll have the same bearings that the retailers call a "custom" "hp" bearing. You'll save a little money in the process too.

I don't like the OEM multi piece thrust bearing. I've seen a few of those fall apart. Clevite is one piece. At I believe 210 hp Cummins recommends the 2 layer bi-metal aluminum alloy/steel rod bearing over the typical 3 layer tri-metal lead/copper/steel bearing. I haven't seen Clevite offer a bi-metal rod.

I have seen cases where tri-metal bearings were not holding up and just switching to bi-metal took care of it.

By a set of King Bearings, get them coated by the shop of your choice and you'll have the same bearings that the retailers call a "custom" "hp" bearing. You'll save a little money in the process too.

I've checked and you don't save much

True but $20 is cheaper to me then chasing parts and waisting time trying to figure out who does certain things. Now if it saves me half then I would source it

Back