rod and main bearings

True but $20 is cheaper to me then chasing parts and waisting time trying to figure out who does certain things. Now if it saves me half then I would source it

Yeah, it doesn't pencil out for everyone. I have the luxury of having everything close to me I guess. Get them shipped to me, drop them off at the coating shop down the street, pick them up the next day. Save some money. Done and done..

Same thing goes for a lot of parts out there. Take a little time and do some research on what they are selling. You could save yourself some money.

Last edited:
I don't like the OEM multi piece thrust bearing. I've seen a few of those fall apart. Clevite is one piece. At I believe 210 hp Cummins recommends the 2 layer bi-metal aluminum alloy/steel rod bearing over the typical 3 layer tri-metal lead/copper/steel bearing. I haven't seen Clevite offer a bi-metal rod.

I have seen cases where tri-metal bearings were not holding up and just switching to bi-metal took care of it.

where are you getting the bi metal clevite

what is your goal? stocks bearings have lasted at the 1K hp mark for several engines

I am looking to build a 2.6 local/brush puller. I want to put it together right the first time and not have to worry about it breaking due to junk parts. This will be the first diesel motor build for me so this is the first of many questions I will have.

who uses the P or the H clevite, and how many use the .0001 additional clearance bearings

How thick is the coating? Does anything have to be done to compensate for it to get the desired bearing clearance?

Back