S478 vs S480

Shocker444

Fummins Time!
Looking to pick up a primary charger for my twin build, I am going to be going with a T6 foot, 1.32 ratio housing but not sure what compressor size to get. Do the 8 blade s480s spool that much slower than the 7 blade s478s? I see they are the same price, just wondering.

Looking to pick up a primary charger for my twin build, I am going to be going with a T6 foot, 1.32 ratio housing but not sure what compressor size to get. Do the 8 blade s480s spool that much slower than the 7 blade s478s? I see they are the same price, just wondering.

The new 78mm is a 6 blade design, flows 112lbs/min and is the same weight comp wheel as the 71 :nail:. Spools ridiculous fast and makes BIG power. It will flat outspool the 80mm all day long by a good margin.

The new 78mm is a 6 blade design, flows 112lbs/min and is the same weight comp wheel as the 71 :nail:. Spools ridiculous fast and makes BIG power. It will flat outspool the 80mm all day long by a good margin.

How about max HP?

How about max HP?

It will make with a race cover right at 1200hp is what we have squeezed on the dyno......crank #'s. Its 40 grams lighter then the 80mm wheel and 5 grams lighter then even the 71 wheel.

Last edited:
It will make with a race cover right at 1200hp is what we have squeezed on the dyno......crank #'s. Its 40 grams lighter then the 80mm wheel and 5 grams lighter then even the 71 wheel.

Thanks, I meant between the 80 and the 78. Does the 80 still have the edge on top end flow?

Thanks, I meant between the 80 and the 78. Does the 80 still have the edge on top end flow?

The 80 does have a touch more top end flow.....but just not the response. The 78 seems to be the happy ground for us....we get the ~ power of the 80 and the response of the 71mm.

The 80 does have a touch more top end flow.....but just not the response. The 78 seems to be the happy ground for us....we get the ~ power of the 80 and the response of the 71mm.

Thanks!

That 6 blade 78 wheel is a wicked mother for sure....have one running on a VE truck and it will spool about 40' off the starting line, even on that little engine:D

Hmm...make's me think about something...
Chris:evil

That 6 blade 78 wheel is a wicked mother for sure....have one running on a VE truck and it will spool about 40' off the starting line, even on that little engine:D

Hmm...make's me think about something...
Chris:evil

Dang right, we have been building a ton of them for some of the big diesel shops, and they love them...have yet to hear 1 single negative feedback. All of them have said....holy crap it spools fast...lol :lolly:

Dang right, we have been building a ton of them for some of the big diesel shops, and they love them...have yet to hear 1 single negative feedback. All of them have said....holy crap it spools fast...lol :lolly:

The 78 will not spool as fast as a 71 in single applications with the same turbine side or is that incorrect?

What about a 7 blade 75 in a single application compared to the 6 blade 78?

What about a 7 blade 75 in a single application compared to the 6 blade 78?

78 will flow more air, 75 does have a slight edge on pressure, but less flow at any equivalent pressure of the 78.

The 78 is an awesome piece. We have one from Bullseye and it spools crazy fast. The truck went quite a bit faster with the 78 vs the 75 and spoolup is almost the same.

Been told there is a mod for my 480 race cover that is a 7 blade wheel from ED, Heard it spools better and flows more... Supposed to be great for a truck like mine with twins which is a street / strip truck...

Are all 7 blade wheels smaller than the 80?
I wasn't told that it was a different size... Even if it is though, if its better and I can still make my 800+ hp but with quicker spool, Then it sounds like a plan!!

Should I have mine modded to put under my current 62/71/13ss?

Thoughts?

Is the 83mm turbine enough for the 78 or would it be a good idea to move to the 87mm?

Back