s478 vs s480

shiftycapone

wandering the desert
For a single competition application. 87 or 92 turbine, 1.0-1.1 t4 housing. P pump 24v, 47re manual valve body, 2400ish stall converter. What do you guys say? I have spoken to Jose at Forced, but not in much detail on which would be the way to go. 78 wheel weighs a whole lot less, but the 480 has the edge on overall flow. I will make the decision soon enough, but I wanted to see what some fellow members have to say.Lets hear it!

Billet? I'd use a Higher Stall converter

Cast. I told spec rite what the truck would be used for and what charge size (ballpark) would be run and they built it for me. I spooled a 71/74 s400 on a lower than stock stall (around 1600ish), I have no doubts about this one. If it absolutely does not work, it will get a looser version. Until that time its staying.

If street driven I would say the 478. If truly competition only and that is it the 480. My only basis of suggestion is reading on the interweb, not first hand experience. I would like to hear more about these billet wheels (batmowheel, ET-R, and others) though as well.

If street driven I would say the 478. If truly competition only and that is it the 480. My only basis of suggestion is reading on the interweb, not first hand experience. I would like to hear more about these billet wheels (batmowheel, ET-R, and others) though as well.

As of right now Nick, no street use. Maybe in the distant future, but not now.
Billet means nothing if the wheel profile remains the same. As for the batmowheel, I think its a joke. A marketing ploy at best. I may take heat for not jumping on the cool new bandwagon, but so be it. There is no way in hell that a wheel with material removed from the face, flows more than the same wheel with said material in place. That's a loss in suface area, doesn't take a scientist to see that. The 478 wheel weighs 5(?) grams less than a 71, the 480 weighs about 100 grams more. Its the fat girl on the block:hehe:

I am liking the 78. Price is about the same as the 80 also.

I went with the GTX45 vs the 400 based route. My option was to either run what you are looking at or the GT45 but I could not obtain anything larger than a 76 in the GT form. Depending on what you are looking for as far as flow I think the 78 wheel would be suffice unless you wanted that edge. I preach the 87 turbine but was going to give the LDP 92 wheel a try this go round as I have no experience with it just yet. I would run the 87 with the 1.0 and the 92 with the 1.1.

I went with the GTX45 vs the 400 based route. My option was to either run what you are looking at or the GT45 but I could not obtain anything larger than a 76 in the GT form. Depending on what you are looking for as far as flow I think the 78 wheel would be suffice unless you wanted that edge. I preach the 87 turbine but was going to give the LDP 92 wheel a try this go round as I have no experience with it just yet. I would run the 87 with the 1.0 and the 92 with the 1.1.

How do you like the gtx45?

I think the 87 turbine would handle what I can dish out, but the 92 is always an option, especially at this point. I don't know anyone who runs it so thats what I'm looking for, info.

What is your truck setup like?

It's going on a motor I'm building for a tractor puller. It will be a few months before I have any data. My other build will utilize the 400 in which I'm going to try the 92 1.1 in. I'll keep you updated unless your pulling the plug very shortly?

It's going on a motor I'm building for a tractor puller. It will be a few months before I have any data. My other build will utilize the 400 in which I'm going to try the 92 1.1 in. I'll keep you updated unless your pulling the plug very shortly?

Within a month I will be ordering. It seems like most people (on the forums in particular) only run the 83 or 96 wheels on these chargers, with few running anything in between. I would hate to buy a charger with too big a turbine and end up hating it. I drag race but also pull, more for fun but its still competition.

As of right now Nick, no street use. Maybe in the distant future, but not now.
Billet means nothing if the wheel profile remains the same. As for the batmowheel, I think its a joke. A marketing ploy at best. I may take heat for not jumping on the cool new bandwagon, but so be it. There is no way in hell that a wheel with material removed from the face, flows more than the same wheel with said material in place. That's a loss in suface area, doesn't take a scientist to see that. The 478 wheel weighs 5(?) grams less than a 71, the 480 weighs about 100 grams more. Its the fat girl on the block:hehe:

I am liking the 78. Price is about the same as the 80 also.

I agree regarding the billet comments, but the designs are different it seems in most billet wheels being marketed in blade count, countour, hub dimensions, etc etc. I'm just curious why so little has been heard about all of them. Regarding the batmowheel the only thing I see intriguing about it is that GE designed a similar design for a turbine engine but that is a far different animal I suppose.

The light weight of that 478 wheel is really hard to get around.

Last edited:
Within a month I will be ordering. It seems like most people (on the forums in particular) only run the 83 or 96 wheels on these chargers, with few running anything in between. I would hate to buy a charger with too big a turbine and end up hating it. I drag race but also pull, more for fun but its still competition.

I think the 80 with an 83/74 turbine isn't a good match, yes you could gate it, run a larger turbine housing etc. The 87/80 is a good turbine option and price competitive. The 96/88 turbine is a good turbine, but housing sizes are limited unless you clip the turbine or go with a custom housing.

I'm sure you've read this thread...
First pass of the year, 10.95@122.98 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I thought I read in another thread that it took 4500 rpm to stay on top of it, but I could be wrong. The last post in the thread says they're thinking of going bigger.

On the other hand, I can't help but think of ponci, brett, and some of the other guys that have made pretty big power on small s300 based chargers. I guess if it's not a dd, it doesn't matter.

-jp

What makes the 78 wheel lighter than the 71...

There is a thread on Forced's sponsor section addressing some of this atleast. More or less just the design from BW, couldn't tell you the exact reason for the difference.

If you ever have to pedal-it during a drag race, you will wish you had the lighter, faster spooling 478.

478 is a 6 blade low inertia wheel, Jose said it is very "thin". He told me I would really understand it when I saw one. He also mentioned he has sold a few to some pullers in the 1000hp range. Not too shabby. The 78 I'm looking at goes: race cover 78/87/1.0 t4. I have a 50mm gate on the shelf if needed and will be spraying it later on. How much of an edge does the 80 provide and is it worth that extra bit for all the weight gained?

478 is a 6 blade low inertia wheel, Jose said it is very "thin". He told me I would really understand it when I saw one. He also mentioned he has sold a few to some pullers in the 1000hp range. Not too shabby. The 78 I'm looking at goes: race cover 78/87/1.0 t4. I have a 50mm gate on the shelf if needed and will be spraying it later on. How much of an edge does the 80 provide and is it worth that extra bit for all the weight gained?

I would say no...the spool should make up for the extra top end as far as driving goes...and I really wouldn't think there would be much of a power advantage to the 80 anyway.

I love the 6 blade 78 wheel....have had one for about 3 years now:D
Chris

Back