s478 vs s480

478 is a 6 blade low inertia wheel, Jose said it is very "thin". He told me I would really understand it when I saw one. He also mentioned he has sold a few to some pullers in the 1000hp range. Not too shabby. The 78 I'm looking at goes: race cover 78/87/1.0 t4. I have a 50mm gate on the shelf if needed and will be spraying it later on. How much of an edge does the 80 provide and is it worth that extra bit for all the weight gained?
How much did he say a 78 wheel was?

I would say no...the spool should make up for the extra top end as far as driving goes...and I really wouldn't think there would be much of a power advantage to the 80 anyway.

I love the 6 blade 78 wheel....have had one for about 3 years now:D
Chris

Good spool is NEVER a bad thing, even in a competition vehicle. I think I have made up my mind:rockwoot::tree::thankyou2:

Your going to have to wind it up to stay on top of it, and a looser converter then that 1700 stall will have to be in your future. I have one coming around 2700 right now im not fighting with this turbo. Dad was shifting around 4500 to stay on top of the 480 and didnt have a problem. Hes going bigger.

Your going to have to wind it up to stay on top of it, and a looser converter then that 1700 stall will have to be in your future. I have one coming around 2700 right now im not fighting with this turbo. Dad was shifting around 4500 to stay on top of the 480 and didnt have a problem. Hes going bigger.

I have a 2400 stall in it now. Have not driven with it yet, probably won't be able to drive it for awhile, needs a couple more things. A turbo is one of them:hehe:

The 78 sounds like it would be fun under my hx40 with a h2 cam :) just wish i had the mulahhh!

Brian, where does your 478 take off at? I know you have a cam and head work but also run quite a bit of timing. I am very interested in how this charger would run with one of Weston's spool flanges. The only thing that scares me there is I have read the 478 6 blade LI wheel is prone to surge. That could be an issue if put in place with one of these spool flanges.

keep hearing everyone say it spools a fast as the 71 but are they dead serious? i know its quick but could i swap a an s472 .9 T4 with an s478 with a the 83 or 87 in wheels and actually have the same or better spool up? sorry it just boggles the mind lol

Dead Serious....I'll bet you won't notice much change

It's all about weight

Chris

Question asked about the GTX4202 compared to the 78.
Spool up is about the same, and HP would be about the same as well, with the nod going to the 78 L.I.

Thread where the comments from other members originated from:
L.I. 78mm S4XX Compressor wheels... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

All of these comments don't line up to me regarding the 78 wheel. Some make it sound as if it will light pretty damn fast. Some make it sound like it will not. I guess in the world of relativity and free information this is what ya get :p :bang :doh:

Our member base is all across the US and canada so i think elevation difference needs to be mentioned when talking spoolup. I live at 7k elevation and its kinda tough to get things going up here.

Our member base is all across the US and canada so i think elevation difference needs to be mentioned when talking spoolup. I live at 7k elevation and its kinda tough to get things going up here.

Good Point

I was only running 24 deg when I had it out last time and my converter is just a hair to tight for it. I cant really say what rpm it was coming on at because i was having alil trouble spooling it that day. I will have an update within the week, new converter and valve body are here.

I was only running 24 deg when I had it out last time and my converter is just a hair to tight for it. I cant really say what rpm it was coming on at because i was having alil trouble spooling it that day. I will have an update within the week, new converter and valve body are here.

What converter was in the truck brian and what is going in it now? You had no issues with the 475, but stepping up on compressor size did make a difference in spoolup?

I had a V10/Cummins it was around 2300-2400 and like I said I had no trouble last year with the 475 but seemed to have had some trouble when I took it out with the 478. I have a goerend that is around 2700 sitting on the work bench maybe going in tomorrow. Just got it running again today, changed injectors, timing, hamilton springs so we shall see shortly.

I had a V10/Cummins it was around 2300-2400 and like I said I had no trouble last year with the 475 but seemed to have had some trouble when I took it out with the 478. I have a goerend that is around 2700 sitting on the work bench maybe going in tomorrow. Just got it running again today, changed injectors, timing, hamilton springs so we shall see shortly.

Huh, thats weird. In talking with jose at forced he said the 478 should spool as well or better than the 75, all things equal. He helped me decide that a 78/83/1.1 t4 should work well when the time comes to purchase.

Huh, thats weird. In talking with jose at forced he said the 478 should spool as well or better than the 75, all things equal. He helped me decide that a 78/83/1.1 t4 should work well when the time comes to purchase.

Initial spool up (Build boost at the line for drag racing)

is different that general spool up (how quickly the charger reaches full boost).

I have not tried the 475 7 blade or the 478 6 blade turbos. I will say that based on other turbos I've tried, the higher blade count turbos seem to initial spool (against the converter at the dragstrip) better than the lower blade count turbos.

There is a lot more space between the blades on 6-12 vs a 7-14 to bleed off the slightly compressed air as it's building initial 5-10 psi boost. Once the compressor rpm starts to come up, then the aggressive low-inertia 6 blade 478 takes off and out-spools the 475.

you really comparing how a turbo works on a 12v to your hogd out 24v cr head?:bang

i think its gonna get a little toasty with that smaller wheel but with the wastegate should be ok?

you really comparing how a turbo works on a 12v to your hogd out 24v cr head?:bang

i think its gonna get a little toasty with that smaller wheel but with the wastegate should be ok?

Brians head is ported Cody, sounds like a decent amount from what he has told me. Just sayin.

I mentioned the 87 wheel to Jose but he said the 83 will honestly do fine. They are completely different wheels, only thing they share is blade count. I told him the truck lives under 5k, he said go with the 83. The 92 would be great if 5k+ was common, but its not. So I'm taking his advice.

I have been told that setup is a surge monster and not all that impressive. Too small of a center section for the 78.

I have been told that setup is a surge monster and not all that impressive. Too small of a center section for the 78.

I thought the same and thats why I had the 87 turbine in mind, but according to Jose thats not the case? I'm assuming it has to do with the weight of the wheel.

Im gonna say you will not be able to light the 87 and 1.0 and if you do probly wont be able to stay on top of it pulling or during a gear change drag racing. I say go with the 78 with 83 turbine and 1.0 housing. I would love to try that setup

Back