School me on TDI's......

Got the official word from the VW doctor, she's getting a colt stage 2 cam..... And my dual mass flywheel is making noise so I'm gonna give Peter at southbend a call.

They replaced mine just before I bought the car. Literally while I was waiting on the paperwork. I don't know how much dealer inflation was involved but parts and labor they said it would have cost me around 2K.

Just got it back and put about 30 miles on her so far, power is better and seems to run smoother overall except for one thing......it idles really rough, and I'm getting a code for a fuel temperature sensor, could that be causing the rough idle?

Yes that could. Check and make sure it is plugged back in. You will see it along fuel rail at rocker cover on right hand side. Just above oil filter housing area.

I've been wanting to get my 09 to sound a little more like a diesel but don't want to go to the extreme of deleting the DPF just yet. I'll wait for it to go bad before I delete it.

So, I was thinking about deleting the mufflers. I was under it the other night and there looks to be 2 mufflers on my car? Is this correct? I've never delt with an emissions engine so I don't know what all of the parts and pieces are. It looks as though there is a resonator, catalytic converter, then one muffler then a second muffler just before the tips. Does this sound right?

Thinking about one of the Banks Monster Exhaust kits. Being that it is a "cat" back kit I'm not sure how much it will actually delete. I'm hoping for something that will eliminate the rear two mufflers. This kit http://www.xtremediesel.com/Banks-Power-46180-B-Monster-Exhaust-w/-Black-Tip.aspx

Any insight?

catback exhaust while retaining emissions makes the car sound more like a hair dryer than a diesel :p

Even straight exhaust won't make it sound like a diesel, it makes it sound... interesting.

pull off the engine sound treatments(cover and oil pan cover) if you want some sound out of it, that is about all you're gonna get.

Has anybody used Ams Oil in their TDI?

I've owned my 2009 TDI now for about 10,000 miles and am looking to have the oil changed a second time. The first time I took it back to the dealer to have them change the oil but its just to much of a pain to go to them every time I need the oil changed. I'm considering using Ams Oil equivalent to Volkswagen 507 00. Do anyone of you have experience with this?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/european-car-formula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AELQT-EA

Also, how often is everyone changing their fuel filters in these. I was considering changing the filter every other oil change but for the price of the NAPA gold I think it may be a yearly think or twice a year thing.

I won't run amsoil in my lawn mower, let alone in an engine as picky as a TDI. I used castrol synthetic that's got the higher zinc content. Can't remember if the 09 is a PD or common rail, but my opinion of amsoil is the same either way

Common rail. Calls for Volkswagen spec oil 507 00, which Ams oil claims it meets.

I'm going to call the Volkswagen dealer and find out what Volkswagen oil cost tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Castrol Synthetic in my 06 for 5,000 miles between changes, bought a boat load about a year and a half ago when Advance Auto had buy one quart get one free. Just ran out with my last oil change two weeks ago. Cheapest place I have seen to buy VW spec oil is Amazon, but not sure if shipping negates it or not. Fuel filters are changed every 15,000 miles. Right now an oil change lasts me about 6-7 weeks. Once I move at the end of the year an oil change will be 4-5 weeks.

Unless you are under warranty, VW spec isn't going to save you from anything.
Mine had maintenance records to prove it had never had anything but VW oil from the dealer. Cam still failed, because it's a heat treat problem, not a magic oil problem.
I've been running TDT Mobil in mine. Easy to find.
I wish I had the paperwork but there was something wrong with Castrol when I went through my fluid power class.

I was told with the 09 and newer TDI's VW spec oil was an absolute must. Something about the new common rail engine.

If you have the dpf installed still, definitely run a 507 oil like Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200. Its expensive but its not that bad.

I run Rotella T6 in mine :D I have heard one very smart guy who said that even with a DPF installed, T6 would realistically be just fine but I still wouldn't if I wanted it to last a long time.

So, in my 06 I can run Rotella, as long as it is the 5w30 or 5w40 that is needed? That would save me a ton of coin in a year.

The only concern with the oil in that situation would be the ash produced. What does 507 do that any API rated oil does not?

Please do not run 5w30 in your 06! Run 5W40 or even Rotella T 15W40, keep that cam alive as long as possible.

I got 187,000 out of my first cam, I run 5w40, the dealer wants me to put 5w30 in it but I knew better than that. If I can run 15w40 rotella synthetic is will much cheaper for me than this castrol crap.

I've always run T6 in PD TDI's, its a great oil for it. I don't know how much data and info there is on 15W40 but its what I'll run in my 06 when it gets warmer out.

T6 5w40 is all I run in both my 2006 Jetta TDI's. Cam lasted in wives until 365,000 and I'm at 161,000 and still original. Was considering the T6 0w40 for winter but haven't decided yet.

Searching around the Castrol 5w-30 that meets the Volkswagen spec is the same price per quart as the Ams Oil stuff. I spoke with my local Ams oil rep and he can get me a case of 12 quarts for $95. Which j think that's the route I'll go. I've talked to a few guys and they said Ams Oil was a quality product.

I'm thinking Ams Oil because I can buy it in a larger quantity for a little less. I know Walmart or Autozone won't give me a deal on a larger quantity of oil.

I won't run amsoil in my lawn mower, let alone in an engine as picky as a TDI. I used castrol synthetic that's got the higher zinc content. Can't remember if the 09 is a PD or common rail, but my opinion of amsoil is the same either way

Why do you dislike Ams Oil so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amsoil is completely unnecessary and is not a proven oil like T6 or TDT is. 12 quarts of TDT or T6 is less than HALF that cost, You can buy that "larger" quantity at walmart by picking up 3 gallons LOL

Back