Second turbo in 10 months

50% nozzle, arson cp3, max effort tune from Dans Diesel Performance.

Here is your issue if you are running this tune on the street. This tune is for DYNO/TRACK ONLY. If you bog it down and slam your foot to the floor you are going to overfuel with that tune, guaranteed. I have the same tune for my 06, and have never loaded it since I have never had a chance to put it on the dyno since I got the tune. I watched him write my tune, definitely not a tune I would be running other than three dyno pulls or a pass or two at the track.

Here is your issue if you are running this tune on the street. This tune is for DYNO/TRACK ONLY. If you bog it down and slam your foot to the floor you are going to overfuel with that tune, guaranteed. I have the same tune for my 06, and have never loaded it since I have never had a chance to put it on the dyno since I got the tune. I watched him write my tune, definitely not a tune I would be running other than three dyno pulls or a pass or two at the track.

First mistake was using that tune. Commanding 3100Us and 29k psi can't be helpful.

In a manual, with a charger where the map is wider than the engines operating range, surge is almost unavoidable while running through gears.

I've always preferred a map that was wider than the operating range.

It's when the map is too narrow and you get to the left of the surge line that you get into surge.

A manual can be more surge prone because you can lug it down, whereas an auto should be tuned to kick down to stay out of surge.

Also, when you shift to the next great, you lose boost, so you can go into surge of you fall off the left of the map. Whereas, worth an auto, you'll still be under boost, so you might be able to shift a little earlier without meeting compressor surge on the next gear

A BOV goes in the intake, Extrnal wastegate on the exhaust before the turbo

ame]

ame]

:nail:

Last edited:
Just a thought but I would think that the BOV might be hurting more then help. I know that its bleeding off boost but everytime the valve opens up it releases the load on the turbo and lets it free wheel for a second which is probably causing it to overspeed and then boom.
I would think you would be better off with a waste gate to slow it down with all the fuel your pouring at it. Or just go with a bigger S-400 turbo to slow it down and get rid of the BOV

Just a thought but I would think that the BOV might be hurting more then help. I know that its bleeding off boost but everytime the valve opens up it releases the load on the turbo and lets it free wheel for a second which is probably causing it to overspeed and then boom.

I would think you would be better off with a waste gate to slow it down with all the fuel your pouring at it. Or just go with a bigger S-400 turbo to slow it down and get rid of the BOV

I understand your theory. Lots of different factors come into play here, the fact that I am stretching PW because of the relatively small nozzle size, and the lack of rail flow both have an effect on the exhaust pulses that the charger receives.

The past two turbos I believe had failed because the bronze shaft bearing developed so much slop from repeated surging, that when the charger came up on boost so suddenly the way it did it side loaded the shaft forcing the compressor wheel into the housing...causing this
b7a1fc14055ccf0c0c7991b4cee76ac9.jpg

670d5ad44674519c587d4fbaec181333.jpg

49fbcb2232fe254fc0f47cb9b5503eab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my theory at least. The BOV I believe releases pressure built in the intake to atmosphere, preventing at least the subsequent intake pressure charges from side loading the tubing shaft and causing bad noises and explosions.

So far this charger currently on the truck has .017" of side to side play with about 11,000mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back