Small turbo question

Outside of no oil drain, my GTX30 is ready to rock. Should be up and running tomorrow. It sure looks tiny in the engine bay where the twins used to be. Especially since there is no battery on that side. Nice being able to drop the downpipe down from the top.

Outside of no oil drain, my GTX30 is ready to rock. Should be up and running tomorrow. It sure looks tiny in the engine bay where the twins used to be. Especially since there is no battery on that side. Nice being able to drop the downpipe down from the top.

pictures!

Wish I would've saw this thread when it started. I'm runnin a gt3788r 63.5/74/.99. It spools pretty quick and makes pretty decent power. Only downside is they only recommend 40psi, so with my 150's and no tuner they clean up good and spools pretty fast, but if I turn my comp box on it over fuels it like crazy till at least around 2300-2500 and with it on or off my egt's run pretty high. Usually 800-1000* daily drivin.

Last edited:
Sad stuff.
How so?
So no EFR discussion in here?
Is that Bw stuff?
Wish I would've saw this thread when it started. I'm runnin a gt3788r 63.5/74/.99. It spools pretty quick and makes pretty decent power. Only downside is they only recommend 40psi, so with my 150's and no tuner they clean up good and spools pretty fast, but if I turn my comp box on it over fuels it like crazy till at least around 2300-2500 and with it on or off my egt's run pretty high. Usually 800-1000* daily drivin.
Doesn't sound fun on a 1.9l lol

Is that Bw stuff?

Yeah. I have a 57 sitting here. stupidly lightweight turbine, and stainless gated housing. I take a deep breath and blow on the compressor, it spins a couple times.

My lungs aren't all that great either.

I got the GTX3076R on tonight. I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. It starts making noise at 1000 rpm, which got my hopes up. But nothing till after 1500 rpm. Dragging the brakes in 5th gear at 1500 rpm barely gets the boost up. Although I did hear a bit of surge below that line, which surprised me. Once above that, it moves pretty good, especially after 20 psi (no surprise). It tops out around 40 psi with my 5x14s, 18 degrees timing, no plate and fairly stock AFC. Its a weird sounding turbo. Lots of whooshing noise instead of the typical turbo scream. But at 35-40 psi, it sounds much more like a standard turbo. Pressurized the system to check for leaks, found one real small one in the piping, but nothing that would be a cause for the lack luster performance. I don't see any soot around any of the exhaust flanges, so I'm assuming the hot side is sealed up.

On my next days off, I'm thinking I might retard the timing a bit to see if it'll get it online a bit sooner. I might order a smaller housing to see if it helps. Right now it is just on a stock manifold without a wastegate. Once it makes it into the twin set, it'll be on a Steed Speed with an 44mm Tial gate.

The maps for the GTX3076 with the large turbine housing is very similar to the GT3782R I was running in my twinset. I'm gonna swap the GT37 in as a single when its time to finish the GTX twins to see how it compares.

Attachments

• 20150513_211154.jpg
    20150513_211154.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150514_031207.jpg
    20150514_031207.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150514_225742.jpg
    20150514_225742.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
I got the GTX3076R on tonight. I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. It starts making noise at 1000 rpm, which got my hopes up. But nothing till after 1500 rpm. Dragging the brakes in 5th gear at 1500 rpm barely gets the boost up. Although I did hear a bit of surge below that line, which surprised me. Once above that, it moves pretty good, especially after 20 psi (no surprise). It tops out around 40 psi with my 5x14s, 18 degrees timing, no plate and fairly stock AFC. Its a weird sounding turbo. Lots of whooshing noise instead of the typical turbo scream. But at 35-40 psi, it sounds much more like a standard turbo. Pressurized the system to check for leaks, found one real small one in the piping, but nothing that would be a cause for the lack luster performance. I don't see any soot around any of the exhaust flanges, so I'm assuming the hot side is sealed up.

On my next days off, I'm thinking I might retard the timing a bit to see if it'll get it online a bit sooner. I might order a smaller housing to see if it helps. Right now it is just on a stock manifold without a wastegate. Once it makes it into the twin set, it'll be on a Steed Speed with an 44mm Tial gate.

The maps for the GTX3076 with the large turbine housing is very similar to the GT3782R I was running in my twinset. I'm gonna swap the GT37 in as a single when its time to finish the GTX twins to see how it compares.

Hows it feel for power? Those pinhole leaks raped my 66 for a while. Completely killed the spool.

Around 2k is common.

Ouch. That hurts LOL

Last edited:
Say I wanted to retain the hx35 compressor elbow with the new turbo, what size vband flange would I need on the new turbo? I never checked if the measurement was ID or OD lol

I was running around with it yesterday. I'm surprised how smokey it is just tipping in the throttle below 1500. I didn't think the twins were cleaning it up as much as it was. I wasn't romping on it at all, just out picking up some bricks for landscaping. My intent is to order the next tighter exhaust housing, but our dollar is in the crapper and its gonna take time to get here. So instead, I pulled the old Colt 181/210 cam out of my 24v and swapping it into the 12v in the evenings. I got the old bumpstick and tappets out, got the #1 tappets installed and called it an evening. Should have it finished tomorrow night and probably try it out on Saturday sometime. I'm also swapping in my adjustable timing gear, see how much that is going to affect it. I know its not really an apples to apples comparison on the truck, but I'm interested to see what is gonna make this a tire fryer. The final combination is gonna be a GTX3076 over a GTX4202 on a 5.9 with a 6.7 crank, with around 19 or 20:1 CR.

What housing did you end up going with on your GTX3076?

Also very interested in your soon to be motor combo I read about how you plan to address the extra stroke on the top end but are there any negative thoughts about the extra .080" the piston will be traveling out of the bottom of the bore?

I was running around with it yesterday. I'm surprised how smokey it is just tipping in the throttle below 1500. I didn't think the twins were cleaning it up as much as it was. I wasn't romping on it at all, just out picking up some bricks for landscaping. My intent is to order the next tighter exhaust housing, but our dollar is in the crapper and its gonna take time to get here. So instead, I pulled the old Colt 181/210 cam out of my 24v and swapping it into the 12v in the evenings. I got the old bumpstick and tappets out, got the #1 tappets installed and called it an evening. Should have it finished tomorrow night and probably try it out on Saturday sometime. I'm also swapping in my adjustable timing gear, see how much that is going to affect it. I know its not really an apples to apples comparison on the truck, but I'm interested to see what is gonna make this a tire fryer. The final combination is gonna be a GTX3076 over a GTX4202 on a 5.9 with a 6.7 crank, with around 19 or 20:1 CR.

That is going to be an awesome combo. I'm actually thinking about going to something a little smaller than the he351 for a secondary, since the 4202 is the largest primary the truck will ever see again without pulling the whole block and starting again.

Whats the compressor size on the gt30?

Back