something weird is going on??

Problem child

Double nickel @
So it's an 03 ccsb, 47re swap for nv4500, 271-d tease, 4:10 gears, this truck had a 10:50 rear in it and I swapped it out for an 11:50 with 4:10's. So now that I have recently put this nv4500 in it everything seemed fine till the first pull. Had a little bounce at the start and the tcase was broke, least that's what I thought. So took it apart, the input shaft was knocked out of it and things were moved around but nothing broke. Took everything out of it and checked it over looked good other than the bearing so replaced it. All back together and noticed the rear drive shaft has tension when unbolted. It'll want to make a quarter turn every time when unbolting it. I took the rear cover off the 11:50 pulled the carrier out and check to see if them were 4:10 gears, all is good. So my question is, is it normal for the rear drive shaft wanting to spring like that when I unbolt it? Sorry for it being so long but wanted you guys to get an idea what I was talking about. Thanks!

If it was under tension then yes. Like in gear then Park brake applied that would put in a loaded Under tension situation. Or a down hill driveway but you'd get run over if the Park brake wasn't on! If none of this applies then it's in the transfer case. If it was in gear that would explain it too.

Everything look good in the tcase only thing I changed in it was the input shaft so I could run this tcase behind the nv4500 so I must be missing something. I can move the truck 5 feet put the trans in neutral flat ground and it'll have tension on it again. I'm kinda stumped

Is the 4x4 engaged? Different gear ratio will do that to a 4x4! I would confirm the front and rear have the same gear ratio. Simple check put it in the dirt go forward which tires are jumping ahead?

Last edited:
Back