Spammer Attacks Increasing????

The only drawback with limiting people to a sandbox till your sure they are legit is you would lose about 85% of new real members. Most people join a forum to talk in a thread they found via google or get involved in something that interested them. Newbie land isnt going to keep folks like that. Most dont join right off the bat and just watch till they feel ready to get involved and want to get in instantly. They will go elsewhere if they can't.

Locking them out for a time would stop all spam but would end up killing the sites in the long run.

Balancing against spam and keeping things fun for members is a rough balancing act.

We gots over 30,000 logged user names. It wouldn't hurt if we lose 50% of the new ones because of a delay. The serious ones would wait it out. If they ain't serious, no loss. 50% of the newbs end up being tards anyway. Just sayin'. :D

The only drawback with limiting people to a sandbox till your sure they are legit is you would lose about 85% of new real members. Most people join a forum to talk in a thread they found via google or get involved in something that interested them. Newbie land isnt going to keep folks like that. Most dont join right off the bat and just watch till they feel ready to get involved and want to get in instantly. They will go elsewhere if they can't.

Locking them out for a time would stop all spam but would end up killing the sites in the long run.

Balancing against spam and keeping things fun for members is a rough balancing act.

This is true. My guess is that every 100 new members you might get 6-8 willing to stay and out of that maybe 2 become contributing members. I could be way wrong, it was just my assessment. I would like to know how many just post on here to sell stuff and then just wander off?

So you're right it is a balancing act. I don't envy the mods.

I will say this. Most Forums and the owners of those forums. Internet Brands, Gigathreads, and VerticalScope Inc. are in my opinion Forum Slumlords. This one just forgets to call when they say they will. LOL

There are very few that get it, and most don't know how to get there. Spam is just a part of internet life. We as members will just have to work harder to stay on top of it and flagging the spam.

Personally, and this is off the cuff. I think the more the independents are able to talk about each other (linking) and spark good rivalries, would be a benefit. I have more incite from everything I have learned, but that is for another discussion with a different group. I believe we can make things happen with the right plan.

The forums are not dying. The best just keep getting better!

The four Ive seen today were all in the vendor areas. Is there something about that section that is attracting the spammers?

Noticed a bunch of new spam tonight, is having new member registration closed until a few select times a year an option? Someone told me yellow bullet did this...

Fellas- please keep reporting the spammers. It helps us moderators out tremendously. Thanks for making this forum what it is.

Noticed a bunch of new spam tonight, is having new member registration closed until a few select times a year an option? Someone told me yellow bullet did this...

i think its a great idea, but YB can do it and not flinch , these sites are a good bit smaller and we dont wanna lose a second of getting new members signed up, so we have the staff battle this. apparently theres a bunch of viral issues going on with the software that makes up this site, vbulletin. psa got completely hacked yesterday, first time ive seen such a thing. they only got to the front end bs with the hack because it was thru the software, they never got to server side or privacy side thank god. we're trying some steps in the registration process to help.

i think its a great idea, but YB can do it and not flinch , these sites are a good bit smaller and we dont wanna lose a second of getting new members signed up, so we have the staff battle this. apparently theres a bunch of viral issues going on with the software that makes up this site, vbulletin. psa got completely hacked yesterday, first time ive seen such a thing. they only got to the front end bs with the hack because it was thru the software, they never got to server side or privacy side thank god. we're trying some steps in the registration process to help.

I saw that about PSA. When was the last time the Forum software had an update? I believe internet brands owns the rights to V-Bulitin, I could be wrong? Security is always an issue! So if any member on here has given any sensitive information through PMs. STOP IT! Clear all messages stat!

I dont remember all that CompD asks for on the signup page, but if these are computer-driven spammers and not actual people, could it be as simple as adding a question or two that a human has to answer during signup?

x2 on reducing the 60 second wait between reporting posts.

I see you found the hack was going thru the chat function. Dont these people have anything better to do than hack truck websites? LOL

Last edited:
These Spammers are a Pain in the Ass! But realistically they aren't as bad as it could be. Some of the Larger lamer sites are getting several hundred a day.

Just keep reporting the Spam and our Staff will get rid of it.

Thanks!

you would be wrong.

Interesting, Things must have changed again, are you sure?

This PDF was dated February 22, 1013

PDF press release of vBulletin's 5 Connect Emerges Beta. On the bottom of the pdf, that was pulled form IB's website shows:

Contact vBulletin:
Joe Ewaskiw
vBulletin / Internet Brands, Inc.
310-280-4539
joe.ewaskiw@[B]internetbrands[/B].com

Internet brands announcement, vBulletin Community Forum; September 20th 2010

vBulletin Acquired By Internet Brands; Mashable's article from July 10th 2007

Big R, how long have you know that Internet Brands no longer owns vBulletin, and who now owns the forum software?

I'm at a loss, because there was no press release of the sale?

Last edited:
Back