square tubing inserts

Well PM me some prices, I guess I could get by with the 1.5 x1.5 solid, just need it clearance to fit inside 2x2x.25" wall square tube.

I had a shop down the street from me make the same thing for me when I built my bars, only I had them made for round stock, not square. I also had them made a foot long to spread the load out farther over the bar instead of right on the end. I also drilled half inch holes in my bars before I slid them in and plug welded them in addition too welding the ends.

Just wondering why you are wanting the square tube???? I know you bent yours rather easily on Saturday. What rod ends are you curently using????

Just wondering why you are wanting the square tube???? I know you bent yours rather easily on Saturday. What rod ends are you curently using????

3rd point tractor links, I could reinforce them, and probably they could have been designed a little better.

The issue is the the square tubing is very rigid. I could go with larger diameter tubing and probably be ok.

I would bet the square tubing is much cheaper too. That DOM is some pricey stuff!

I would bet the square tubing is much cheaper too. That DOM is some pricey stuff!

Yea your right, I know the DOM I think I had almost $200 in it. The square I will have less than $75 dollars in the tube, the inserts well....

what size of tubes where you running before that bent?

The traction bars we are building are a bit over kill but have been working great and mine where 118" long on the old truck! We are running the same tractor style 3pt hitch pieces you are but we are running a large DIA dom tube. We cut the center section of the link bar in half and then slide it into the DOM right up to the neck, weld the neck and do some plug welds...never ever had an issue. Our wall thickness is just over 1/4".

Ryan

Mine were the same OD as the tractor link(1.75" or so) I turned down the OD of the DOM and slid the tractor link over the DOM, then welded it. THe bars were in compression so the lip on the DOM was not going to allow the tractor link to move. Where the failed was right where the DOM ended and the tractor link was the only thickness that was there. If you watch the vid you can see where they broke. Hindsight I would have shortened the part of the third point link, but it would have been on a smaller diameter which has even less strength. Sliding the links inside tubing would be better, and then probably placing a bushing around the small diameter of the tractor link and the tubing to take up that space then weld it up would be the best route. My tubing was 1/2" wall and the tubing was bent. If it wasn't bent I would probably try to reuse them with some reinforcement.

The square tubing comes from a mechanical engineer I know, who is all the time reciting equations LOL. What I found interesting is as far as buckling in a column(I think that is the term) metal type doesn't have much impact. I was looking to go chromoly and he said that the chromoly would be less resistant to yield(permanently deform) but wouldn't offer much more strength. So on his recommendation I chose to go with the square tubing.
My next set of bars will not bend!

Why not go to a ladder bar setup?

I might, but this is simple, easy and quick. It is middle of the season, I have to pretty much order everything that I would need.

I just really like the idea of going to a large single unbendable bar. The ladder usually doesn't take into account side loading, which with my luck would probably happen!

I don't follow, how would it be any less resistant to side loading than a single bar?

I didn't mean removing the leaves and all that. Just a 3 point bar to control axle wrap.

Do you drive it on the street?

I don't follow, how would it be any less resistant to side loading than a single bar?

I didn't mean removing the leaves and all that. Just a 3 point bar to control axle wrap.

Do you drive it on the street?

Typically the advantage of a ladder bar is you can use lighter components and the ladder adds more strength. I am sure that it is stronger in one direction than others.
Well I want complete strength in all directions. I figure use a larger single bar and that will give me the best resistance to buckling in all directions, than a smaller bar in a ladder setup.

Example build a ladder out of 1x1 or use a single bar out of 2x2.
Truck sees less than 5 miles of street use per year.

I was hoping there was something readily available or some of your machinist would be able to churn something out.

Alot of our guys run the 2x2 and have never had a problem. I used to run 2x3 on my dually and thats what i was going to run on this one but when i sent a guy to get the steel, he brought back 2x4 so they are big but i figure if i ever go open driveline, i have a good solid foundation to start with.

Alot of our guys run the 2x2 and have never had a problem. I used to run 2x3 on my dually and thats what i was going to run on this one but when i sent a guy to get the steel, he brought back 2x4 so they are big but i figure if i ever go open driveline, i have a good solid foundation to start with.

What are they using for ends?

Just buy the big ones and a piece of threaded stock the size you want. Heat it up in the forge and hammer it over the threaded stock to get the right fit. Send me a picture when you get them done.

What would it be like to get square tubing large enough to have the round tube slide the full length of the square tube with the tractor links welded inside the round tube? Pretty much a double walled traction bar with both round and square benefits.

What would it be like to get square tubing large enough to have the round tube slide the full length of the square tube with the tractor links welded inside the round tube? Pretty much a double walled traction bar with both round and square benefits.

LOL I thought about that, my fear was when I was done with what I had I wouldn't be able to hang any weights on the truck. LOL

I had a member PM me and I think I am set.

Hah alright, just throwing out an idea. You do have a point, all said and done it'd probably be 200 pounds you couldn't hang off the front. Hope you get things squared away, no pun intended..

Didn't get to see you run over there, wish I would've. I heard about your truck all summer long working there at Harvest Land from Chris.

Hah alright, just throwing out an idea. You do have a point, all said and done it'd probably be 200 pounds you couldn't hang off the front. Hope you get things squared away, no pun intended..

Didn't get to see you run over there, wish I would've. I heard about your truck all summer long working there at Harvest Land from Chris.

There are vids. LOL

Back