Summer purchases

Rob D

Get R' Done
Over the winter I have managed to save up around 5k to put towards the truck. I think its a good idea to start off with fuel system upgrades. I know there has been a pretty in-depth thread already made regarding FASS vs. Airdog - seems like most guys prefer the FASS esp for the Fords. I have stock injectors and pump - so what setup would I want?

I also want to get a fuel system by either DJ or ITP and was wondering who has experience with both these systems and which one is better.

I am going to finally get gauges put in as well, although have been battling with the fact that I have to lose my grab bar and that sucks...might just go with a three or four pod over the rear view mirror.

I also plan on getting an intercooler - seems like spearco is the way to go on those?

Let me know if you guys think I should be focusing on other upgrades first...see my signature for what I have currently already.

Thanks

fwiw, I'll be using ITP's kit. I guess ITP's is an actual RR kit and dj's isn't but I'm not 100%. You don't have to lose your grab bar...you can use the quadzilla commander and the pillar mount. If interested in a pic let me know. As for what else you could look into for your upgrade list I would recommend removing the scoop from your up-pipe and blocking off exhaust gas from entering the cooler. Hopefully you'll have some left over for injectors maybe!

Fass 150/180

ITP RR kit

Spearco or Banks

I would go with analog gauges..not a fan of digital..
like you said ..you could go with over the mirror pod or an underdash pod.

I wouldn't worry about the Fuel pump with stock injectors unless you plan to get bigger ones. But a good regulator system should be good for you, and yes DJ's Fuel system+ is a regulated system too just as well as the others. The EGR block off should be #1. Some gauges most defiantly at min. boost and pyro. those two there will help diagnose a problem if one ac-cures. As for the inter cooler well i wouldn't spend that much money on one for stock injectors. But all in all it just comes down to what you want, all of us might have different taste.

DJ's is a RR return..it justs doesn't have the crossover line to allow fule to run thru the back of the heads..Like ITP's does.

EGR up pipe block off is a very good idea.

the mods he has listed seems like he would be upgrading injectors at a later time..

I spoke with Dennis @ITP - the stock fuel pump is good for the stock injectors with upgraded fuel system kits...don't have to worry about the pump unless putting in new sticks. His kit comes with a gauge, and Im not sure if DJ's does or not - but it seems like ITPs may be a little more thorough?

I am waiting to decide about new sticks becaue I feel like they come more with the category of a next round of mods which would be head studs and turbo etc and I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet or not.

I am also against digital gauges that tack into the trucks computer (not just digital screen) because in reality with our tunes we are tricking the trucks computer, so to plug into it and trust the #s we see isn't the most accurate way to go about things...best is to put a gauge directly to what you want to monitor.

As for the intercooler - it's something I feel that even if I decide to stop after this round of mods - it will keep the truck healthy...and if I so chose to keep going with modifications...which usually ends up happening, its already there.

EGR block off...doesn't the SCT turn it off anyways - and is this a kit or more of just a labor type upgrade.

I know FASS has the fuel heater...does Airdog? I live up North and have terrible winters - seems like a lot of reputable people have good things to say about both systems, but a fuel heater would be the difference for me.

Last edited:
I dont think that the IC is a stupid idea..do it.

The SCT turns off the EGR valve..it cant stop pressure from getting to your coolant like the up pipe delete can.

the up pipe is like this:

stock up pipe is the top.bottom up pipe is with the EGR deleted.
soildvsold.jpg

hmm thats nice looking! Whats the cap for next to the new up-pipe Abran? Also, what else does blocking the EGR do - will it effect emisisons...and why wouldn't Ford have done this stock?? Hows the install on one of these...

the cap is to block off the opposite side of the EGR cooler

picture of one installed:
upipe5.jpg

its not a super easy install..2 people make it alot easier and its just a few bolts..but its the location of the bolts that make the install difficult.

Block off the EGR cooler just like I said above.It blocks the Exhaust pressure from entering the coolant. No real power gains..just helps with alot of problems that you 'could' have in the future with HG's etc,etc.

I have emissions testing in my state - does anybody on here know if the up-pipe with EGR delete will not allow for me to pass inspection....need to know if I should keep the original or not. Thanks

I think you'll be fine just put the cat back on. Once you go injectors though I don't see how you would pass emissions testing.

Back