Super and Turbo Charged 1.9 TDI

joediesel

I am throwing an idea around about doing the same as empire diesel has with the duramax, powerstroke, and soon Cummins engines.

I fired this idea out at fred's tdi forum with not much interest of enthusiasm in response (i figure here would be the best place).

I'd like to throw a Rotrex C15 or C30 centrifugal charger blowing into a larger charger (for the 4 pot tdi) to create around +300hp smoke free. How do you size the turbo and supercharger for this level of power?

Is there much difference running a vgt style turbo vs a wg turbo when its blown into with a supercharger?

The turbo... not really, and the Rotrex.. Can be found cheap. I would use a vortec etc but the rotorex will spin higher rpms, so i could get more boost down low if need be.

I bet something like an hy35 with the 9cm blowing into that supercharger would fit purty well. If u wanted bigger an he351cw with a ported wastegate would work well too,, you could adjust boost ossie rather easily on both turbos to control overall boost.. Now, fuel is the question. low end boost will be playing around with the combo, pulley sizes etc on the blower... Sounds like a killer little street combo

There are guys getting close to 400hp practically smoke free. The turbo's are either VGT or VNT computer controlled and so is the fueling of the electronic VE.

400hp at the crank i assume? I havn't seen too many over 250hp without a built motor, but I have seen a 433hp lupo (4x4) that runs in the 10's.... Know anything about how much boost they run, and what they use to make the engine hold together at the level of power??

I have thrown this idea around my self. Building the motor is actually very cheap. What year are you putting this on?

IMHO using supercharger as the HP unit would be waste of effort. You can get a small VNT turbo to build you 1.5bar@ 1500rpm and you just cannot do that with a mechanical charger unless you can bypass its pulley at higher revs. Very large mechanical would work OK as a LP unit tough. Not as efficient as a turbo but work and be easy to tune in.

BTW the HE221 might be good HP turbo for a monster twin setup, but it has no play as a LP unit and is pretty crap as a single too. Suprisingly slow boost response and turbine starts to limit at high revs.

Rods, studs, pistons, and ARP studs. You will also need head work done. I would go with a port and polish, valves and springs. You can do a short block for under $2,000.

99-2003 (?) AHU from what I read.

Yeah, 400hp at the crank.

Go to tdiclubs.com and check out their performance section.

Thats great news. $2000 for a built motor is quite cheap.

Don't the procharged setups run the blower into the charger? From what I've read they have had instant spool, better economy, and lower egts... Not to mention the ability to greatly reduce drive pressure vs boost pressure. Seems like Empire Diesel has been able to get double the boost to drive pressure, running this way.

Last edited:
Sure you will get way less EMP with one turbo and a blower compared to two turbos both making their own drive pressure. But the blower will suck power straight from your crank. Considerable amount.

Doing the supercharger and turbo setup is what a few European guys are running and having great success. Its not popular because of all the fab work. Most tdi people are after bolt on parts.

BTW the HE221 might be good HP turbo for a monster twin setup, but it has no play as a LP unit and is pretty crap as a single too. Suprisingly slow boost response and turbine starts to limit at high revs.

Interesting. I thought the 6 blade billet turbo was a good single because it was efficient at higher pressure ratios.

maybe better suited for a larger engine? 2.5?

Back