Super myth

The current crop of 9 sec trucks takes 20-30 secs to spool up @ the line. The tree only has a 10 sec bulb delay before red light. A stock prius could beat every 9 sec diesel If they used this advantage. It will force the others to start spooling before they get to the lights to try to compensate and many will make mistakes doing so.$.02
Only because they use wrong size of turbocharger. Pulling turbos don't work in dragracing. Or they are just badly tuned.

Dont see/hear much lag here https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=741844919225489

Turbo vehicles just arent fast/consistent enough in drag racing. Thats why all the fastest vehicles are supercharged. 9s and faster for diesel trucks w/o sitting on the line for 10+ seconds spooling is the future of the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2dAG0_KnU

For diesels yes, but turbo's are catching up. When guys like larson and lutz are running 4's in streetable cars, and using turbos, you can't really argue for superchargers. Except for top fuel lol.

I don't think there are a lot of diesel vehicles that have to sit and spool for long periods of time now.

Turbo vehicles just arent fast/consistent enough in drag racing. Thats why all the fastest vehicles are supercharged. 9s and faster for diesel trucks w/o sitting on the line for 10+ seconds spooling is the future of the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2dAG0_KnU

Superchargers are faster because turbos are forbidden or restricted in those classes. Topfuel is just stupid, there's nothing hightech in that class because it is not allowed.

Even if they did go allow turbo in top fuel, I doubt there's anything material wise that can take the shock load, heat, and sustainability like a super can.

Even if they did go allow turbo in top fuel, I doubt there's anything material wise that can take the shock load, heat, and sustainability like a super can.
They were allowed originally in Topfuel but forbidden because they were too powerful. Same reason screw was forbidden in Topfuel.

I think this setup will really shine with the older mechanical trucks that want to run a lot of pre-boost fuel and dont want to attract the EPA nazis. Tow rigs that run larger turbos and dont want to be restricted by secondary size.
Heres another thought.. wonder if theres a safe way to plumb the intake side of a super to pull a vacuum on the crankcase without risking a runaway?
I know my damn motor is practically a charger itself.. it builds its own boost in the form of blowby, lol!
:nail:

You can route the ccv into a forward facing venturi in the plumbing before the blower inlet. Unrestricted flow but will stop it from becoming a straw. I will be testing this soon as just routing the ccv into the blower on my setup resulted with an oily blower and coated intercooler.

Also to add to the parasitic loss comment earlier. Supercharger technology is advancing to engineer higher effeciency units. Whipple, lysholm, vortec, Eaton, Magnuson, Kenne Bell are all spending thousands on R&D. Not at blowers have internal compression. The newer roots TVS blowers are still just a pusher with no internal compression and much higher effeciency and lower air charge tempatures. The TVS like I am running is said to consume about 1/2 HP when in bypass. Once my turbo spools it bypasses the charger and creates a 0 pressure differential

Last edited:
I got a question for you folks, Carl in particular.. Whats to keep you from using a very small procharger in place of the supercharger? The sound of those superchargers is awful sounds like a bad steering pump. Doubt theres a lot you can do about that, its under load till the bypass kicks in.

They same thing that stops you from using an hx25 in compounds.
I've eliminated 80% of the noise in mine by installing the butterfly valves back in the scoop and connecting them to the throttle. anything under 1/4 throttle and they are pretty well shut and very little sound escapes.
Bypass open is LOUD, havent figured that one out yet.

Last edited:
well if you can bypass the blower, you can bypass a small procharger right? any reason to favor a scroll setup over a fan?

well if you can bypass the blower, you can bypass a small procharger right? any reason to favor a scroll setup over a fan?

I'm pretty sure the reason to use the blowers is because they are positive displacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not so much a matter of bypass as output. any excessively small compressor simply wont have enough output to bother with. I had to drive the mp90 nearly 4x crank speed to use it. Even the 2.3L was working pretty hard for a higher powered application, so We went to a 3.3L.
So there is no reason you cant use a small procharger and bypass it, other than it wont be worth the bother.

So theres really no option to that suffering power steering sound eh? damn.
well on the plus side once its bypassed its done till boost drops low again.
Is the sound coming from the intake plenum? Suppose you could baffle it a little if it was.

Last edited:
I haven't read this thread, and I'd not like to start chit, but take a S475, hook the compressor discharge only to the intake of a 5.9, to do the same same test with it. Money says you won't have to rev it up to make it turn.

Vacuum is some strong chit.

Back