Super Stock Diesel 2012

this could end up like the fastest street car stuff did..when car craft brought the idea it was a 20 mi drive headlights oem parts etc....not theyre pro stockers with mtn mtrs and 100k to race one...jus sayin..

we dont want that..id love to build a truck to race this....hmmm..maybe ill sell some cattle

Gang,
before I get into the usual catch-up game in the shop I'd like to throw my couple cents in here.

From my personal point of view.
First of all, where else can you get involved in setting the rules for your class. Us guys make the rules for us. That alone is in my opinion HUGH.

OK, now let me look at this as a sponsor.
What I really find interesting in this class is the fact that average Joe can build his truck for this class and compete. In other words, get new folks involved in racing their trucks. BUT to do this, the build should be doable at a somewhat reasonable price.

I would tighten up the rules a bit in order to allow "everyone" to compete and not being scared away from this class by the big dogs with hugh funds.
Nothing against the big dogs! They're doing great for the diesel sport! BUT average Joe just does not have the funds to compete with them. The big dogs have other opportunities / races / classes to push the limits.

I believe the SS class is a good thing if it can get more people involved in racing. Let's consider this for a moment as an "entry level" into racing.

With this being said I would:

1) Weight 6500. It's easier to add weight to the older trucks than having to cut the new trucks to get to 6000. Aaron's truck is the perfect example. Even without the hood 'n stuff he was still way heavier than the trucks he had to compete with....

2) Stock axel(s). Any internal mod to them is OK.

3) Stock transmission with a converter, any internal mods allowed. With "stock" meaning any transmission as found in any diesel truck truck of that brand. ( In poor words, a 48 into a 6.7L that had a 68 behind it is OK. )

4) Stock ECM's, no standalones.

5) No ECM tuning allowed during the quick 16 eliminations. Get it dialed in during the test sessions....

That should keep the $$$$ needed to compete in the class at reasonable level.

OPS, I forgot to mention...

6) Anybody who does not behave himself in the after hours is out. LOL

Just kidding here! Yet, I really enjoyed the very friendly feeling we all had during and after the race. The Diesel brotherhood at it's best!

Let me get this clear one more time. The above is just my personal idea.
It's just food for thought for the guys who will have the burden to take the final decision.

Whatever you guys will settle on I will keep supporting this race.

Thanks for listening!

Marco

I'm really glad you typed that cause I wouldn't of had a clue what you said if you was talking to me...And that would pretty much only let about 5 people race, and they would be the old guys LOL...

I agree with everything on what you said...What about narrowed rears and 9 inch ford rears or narrowed Dana 60's...

I think Marco pretty much said it all.

except i think what he meant to say was anybody that DOES behave themselves after hours is not aloud to race! :evil

I am interested in possibly building a truck for this class one day and if it stays where it's at, as far as rules go, I feel that it would be cheap enough to get into (or at least as cheap as racing can be).

I like the idea of off the shelf 66's and stock appearing transmissions.

I also like the idea of trying to set the rules to try and keep breakage to a minimum so that people won't have to do rebuilds every other weekend.

Last edited:
holly chit, did Marco say 6500#?!?!?

:)

on the transmission toptic, I don't think it's fair to force GM's to run only an allison. Allowing a 48re in a Ford should be acceptable for example.

holly chit, did Marco say 6500#?!?!?

:)

on the transmission toptic, I don't think it's fair to force GM's to run only an allison. Allowing a 48re in a Ford should be acceptable for example.

Wanna put a 48 behind a Dmax, Go Head on..

Wanna put an Allison behind a Cummins, Go Head on..

OEM style that CAN be street driven / tow is the thing.

Lencos / Dancos / Jasoncos / Davidcos / Garycos / Jeffcos or any other kinda CO tranny is NOT for a street class like Super Stock..

Yeah allowing an aftermarket transmission is dumb, this class will soon head the same direction as the sled pulling 2.6 class. Why not police it now while you can. Somebody comes up with a new class and a few weeks later someone else wants to ad their own personal rules. I think Garmon did an awesome job with this class! Almost makes me want to get into racing.

5) No ECM tuning allowed during the quick 16 eliminations. Get it dialed in during the test sessions....

even though i don't have a truck ready for this class yet,i don't think this rule would work out very good..in every form of dragracing you can tune between rounds..

unless there is no ecm tuning but p-pump tuning is ok:poke:

Jeff and Gary had an idea, they put it together and put the rules in place that were pretty simple to follow. The idea was for a street driven vehicle to come out and compete. The turbo rule was picked as it was already in place for the sled pullers. Right or wrong it was a damn good start. If you want to keep the price down place a claimer rule on the turbocharger. How many people are going to put on a $6000 charger if someone can claim it for $xxxx? Set the claimer price equal to the cost of an off the shelf turbocharger. This has been done in racing for years to keep the high dollars out of certain classes. It keeps it fun and as inexpensive as you can do and still race. As for changing the class rules at another event, that's just dumb when there are already trucks built for the current rules.

What ever happens it's up to Jeff and Gary.

Seemed to be a huge success, I'm not into the Drag Racing scene, but that was one good time. It worked, stop *itching, live with the rules or stay home. The problem is when rules are changed for the constant whining, trying to make everybody happy. You can't and that's life. Everybody thinks they're entitled to whatever they want. You want different rules, go make up your own race.

Somebody mentioned the Redneck Yacht Club. For you people from points north, there are no yachts, no lakes, no Gulf or Ocean. It's a mud bogging area. Down here when they have a mudding event, you'll lose half of your truck crowd, if not more. If the race didn't fall on a mudding event, there would have been a crap-ton more spectators.

Great job, good times already looking to next year!!!

Last edited:
Rules

First, I will run this class nomatter what the rules are. If we can run a danco can we also run a drop box? I really don't think a claimer rule will work. I have run classes with claimer rules and I will say now that if I can win 25K I will have the best stuff I can buy! If you claim it who cares!! I'm still money ahead. It just doesn't work. Then you will get the top guys all with the best stuff so nobody will claim the other. We just need set rules and run them and leave them alone. We don't need another Pro Street class with half the field broken all the time. This class had very little carnage which over time will help with the fans. Jeff

Consistency is paramount in Super Stock's nascent stage - minor alterations are OK, but don't change what makes SS both challenging & innovation-driven at it's core:

#2 only
6000#
Pro Tree
66mm inducer bore

Jeff and Gary had an idea, they put it together and put the rules in place that were pretty simple to follow. The idea was for a street driven vehicle to come out and compete. The turbo rule was picked as it was already in place for the sled pullers. Right or wrong it was a damn good start. If you want to keep the price down place a claimer rule on the turbocharger. How many people are going to put on a $6000 charger if someone can claim it for $xxxx? Set the claimer price equal to the cost of an off the shelf turbocharger. This has been done in racing for years to keep the high dollars out of certain classes. It keeps it fun and as inexpensive as you can do and still race. As for changing the class rules at another event, that's just dumb when there are already trucks built for the current rules.

What ever happens it's up to Jeff and Gary.

I have never heard of a "claimer" rule before. I like it and wish I had heard of it before now.

I didnt make the race but I put in 500.00 so I guess I can say what I think.

Dont allow Lenco's, the Lenco guys say there is no advantage to an aftermarket tranny because the turbo is the limit that makes everyone even. The advantage is not because the Lenco makes them faster, it lets them run laps w/o worrying about breaking the trans. Breaking tranny's is part of it, better build a good one or you are not going to win.

Leave the turbo alone, just because someone spends 5g on a turbo doesnt mean they are an automatic shoe in. Just because you make a rule that says it must be a true 66mm doesnt mean someone wont go out and spend 10k on a 66mm charger thats different then the normal for a leg up. You cant make rules to keep people from spending money.

And WTF with the no stand alones? So a Dodge guy is limited to a box tuner/stack deal but a Dmax can custom tune thier ecm. Seems like Aaron did just fine with a Smarty on his 6.7 against stand alones and EFI so why does it matter.

For the most part tweak it maby but LEAVE IT ALONE!

Cosistancy is key. You can watch any type of racing, and that's the one thing that all have in common. The good ones that is.

And WTF with the no stand alones? So a Dodge guy is limited to a box tuner/stack deal but a Dmax can custom tune thier ecm. Seems like Aaron did just fine with a Smarty on his 6.7 against stand alones and EFI so why does it matter.

Let me say this one more time just to make clear. My personal reasoning is to avoid as much as possible the high bucks stuff so to not scare away the guy that want's to enter this class. Or in different words, make the class attractive for as many Joe's as possible. Does a standalone have an advantage over the OEM? Maybe yes, maybe no, I'm not really convinced. BUT the average Joe will most likely think that he needs a standalone to compete. The standalone -alone- is already a hugh project for average Joe.

Anyhow, the discussion should not be ( again in my humble opinion ) about weather or not a certain mod is an advantage. The discussion should be about the budget needed to compete in this class. That's if we want to have the tallest field possible.

I think at this point the guys who really count, Jeff and Gary, have gotten the points everybody is making. They are the only ones that will have to take the final decision about what and IF to do changes to the rules.

At this point I will do something smart; I'll shut up my mouth and wait for them to talk.

Marco

But the problem is you cant make rules to keep people from spending money, they will spend it no matter what rules you make. If you dont have a big budget then work on consitancy and ingenuity. The guys that spend the most money are not always the ones that win, it probably the other way around.

If the class is going 10-11 seconds and 6000-6500# then why fool yourself in thinking its a "street" or "everyday truck" class. It is a purpose built class but thats fine, stop trying to make it something it isnt! Let the guys ***** that run 14 seconds that its not a class built for them!

hey man i run 14's..git offa me..jus kiddin man..i thuoght it went off perfect....

always someone to complain..notice aaron aint *****in..gary or jeff been quiet

yall keep this **** up and why would they bother again

yall quit yer fukin moaning and start building trucks...if ya spent as much time workin on yer **** as yall do criticizing something ya didnt even attend much less race youd all be alot better off

now git offa the friggin keyboard and onto yer tools fukers

Let me say this one more time just to make clear. My personal reasoning is to avoid as much as possible the high bucks stuff so to not scare away the guy that want's to enter this class. Or in different words, make the class attractive for as many Joe's as possible. Does a standalone have an advantage over the OEM? Maybe yes, maybe no, I'm not really convinced. BUT the average Joe will most likely think that he needs a standalone to compete. The standalone -alone- is already a hugh project for average Joe.

Anyhow, the discussion should not be ( again in my humble opinion ) about weather or not a certain mod is an advantage. The discussion should be about the budget needed to compete in this class. That's if we want to have the tallest field possible.

I think at this point the guys who really count, Jeff and Gary, have gotten the points everybody is making. They are the only ones that will have to take the final decision about what and IF to do changes to the rules.

At this point I will do something smart; I'll shut up my mouth and wait for them to talk.

Marco

Classic Classic Classic Post Marco!!!!

Bravo!!!

I dig the "Idiocracy" quote to boot!!! lol

what about gear vendors? I am going to build my truck to this class but need to know if i have to get rid of the gear vendors or if i can keep it.

Back