Super Stock Diesel 2012

Jason I don't know you, but I have done a good bit of reading on here. I would just like to carry this momentum into the next race and grow from there. I offered people parts off of my truck before I left, while I was there, and even still I'm willing to help any way I can. You have ideas and that's all they are. This was as close a group of guys as I have ever seen! We are better than all of this bickering that is about to begin, because it doesn't make 1 or 2 people happy. :Cheer:

Looks like keeping them as it is seems to be popular.

I think the ones that showed up and raced are the ones thats should have their voice heard the most.

But with all that Aron had to do to get to barely 6350, i think maybe a 6250 or 6500 limit should be considered..

Btw.. Jeff Garmon's was 2x4 and it weighed almost 6400...

Last edited:
You sure have a hell of alot of opinions for someone who doesn't even race:what:

I don't understand this obsession the diesel community has with trying to create a HEADS UP class for the average daily driven truck? It is just not going to happen!! The spectrum of trucks is just too varied and besides, there are already 2 classes of racing for those types of vehicles...ET and QD.

Guess what people...

RACING COSTS MONEY!!!!!

If you don't want to "pull out the tools" at the track, then race ET or stay home and play an internet racer:stab:

I like the rules as they are. Although I am torn between leaving my truck in ProStreet or building the parts for a "quick change" to Super Stock

I totally agree... I was only an internet spectator this round, but really love the concept and from EVERYTHING I have heard and EVERYONE I have talked to it was a huge success!!! Keep the rules the way they are... For the "Average Joe's" there is bracket racing! If someone wants a BIG MONEY race for Average Joe's then they need to host a Big Money bracket race... The SS class is a great format and with a few more races for people to run this year guys will be able to tune and get more passes on their current trucks and it will also give the guys that didn't finish their builds for this race time to finish them and get some passes on them before next year's Bradenton BIG MONEY race and maybe the field will be closer to the 100 trucks that they were looking for this year.

As for the advertising, remember that 100% of the entry went back toward the racer's purse so any advertising and promotion had to come out of pocket from Gary, Jeff and the track... Maybe next year they can get a title sponsor to come on board and that would cover the advertising and promotional costs... Also, for the locals that said not enough friend knew about it, why didn't you tell them??? Youy knew about it for many months and should have been spreading the word all along...

Anyway, a big CONGRATS go out to Aron and the Black's Diesel crew for a job well done and to Gary and Jeff for coming up with a cool race idea and executing it!!!!:Cheer:

I also think the Trucks should drive 20 miles to the beach and back to make sure they are streetable trucks! everything else is ok!

I just put my opinion in from my view. However its decided. AirDog will still be there to support the class and the racers.

Jason I don't know you, but I have done a good bit of reading on here. I would just like to carry this momentum into the next race and grow from there. I offered people parts off of my truck before I left, while I was there, and even still I'm willing to help any way I can. You have ideas and that's all they are. This was as close a group of guys as I have ever seen! We are better than all of this bickering that is about to begin, because it doesn't make 1 or 2 people happy. :Cheer:

I understand. This was a first event. and will leave this for folks to consider:

The problem with trucks, is it's not a car. :) Cars generally do not very 2000# from one option package to another. :) So finding an ideal middle group for a single class is something that needs to happen or you'll just have 20 trucks showing up to a race. The next race, will Bob/Marco be as generous? who knows.. When Gary and Jeff have to turn folks away....That's the holly grail right?

this is a high end race, why would you try to accomodate every one. if i remember right nothing said it even had to be a truck. just diesel powered and 2.6 clipped turbo. why some folks would want to run a crew cab heavy truck for a race like this is beyond me. but it still worked.
and congrats to aron on the win and great job to all that put it together.

if you cannot make the wieght than you are penalizing yerself and thats part of the game...what does wrongways truck wiegh in race trim

ill bet the heavy guys have some ideas for next round..dontcha aaron

idk if the deepest pockets one look at suncoasts truck. it never made a realy good pass and had hell all weekend

If you think that an 11.06 @ 124 after fixing the trans the night before is bad... You have to think about it this way, it's Ron's truck, he has the money and he had a blast. When he gets it dialed in and get's used to driving it then you'll see some mid 10 second passes I'm sure. Like I said Ron isn't a drag racer, but he sure is hooked now.

Also they built it to test their transmissions. What better way than to squeeze a trans between an engine that makes big power, and a chassis that puts it all to the ground.

To everyone else b!tching about the class rules, Jeff Dean said it best. Brackets are for street trucks. This class is for people that want to graduate from there. This class is like pro-street was 4 years ago. 10.50 is fast enough to keep the adrenaline up but not so crazy that you break every weekend.

Look at 2.6 sled pulling.. If you don't have 1000hp you aren't going to be at the top.

There is always going to be somebody spending crazy money to be the first in their class.

Brayden

I support the growth of Diesel Motorsports in any positive fashion, and I am glad to see this event draw a sizeable field and crowd as compared to previous events. Yet I think there are some real issues that are being overlooked, and although I'm not trying to be negative, they should be a concern.

1. 38% paid entries of the desired amount.
2. 55% of the paid entries competed.
3. Purse reached 50% of desired payout due soley to a large donation from one sponsor.

Now, I would assume any promoter of any event of any type that had a result such as this would not consider it a huge success.

These debates are often seen in Sled Pulling, and the truth remains; you made the rules, now you must adhere to them. There will always be arguements to the fact that the rules could be better, it is a constant, but changing them every race won't gain you entries either.

S300 limit will not make the turbochargers any cheaper, increasing weight only adds to breakage, watching trucks break is less entertaining for the crowd. At some point it will be realized that to have a successful event the spectator count means the most, and the rules will reflect this by having an event that is competitive, exciting, and minimal mechanical failure. This class has the potential to get things moving in the right direction, but let's not get the cart in front of the horse.

Now that I'm sure I have offended most people, carry on.

Last edited:
I told Doug we'll put a 66 on mine and I'll just take off the Procharger belt for the race. :D

Hmm makes me want a 66 for my truck... I think the rules are good as is, minus maybe a 20 mile drive like some one else said before

id like for the rules to stay the same. i didnt make the race due to mechanical problems. my truck weighed weighed just over 6000lbs with me and a half tank of fuel.

A structured payout instead of winner take all, if not allready mentioned. Leave the rest of the rules alone. People need to conform to the class, the class doesnt need to conform to them.

Gang,
before I get into the usual catch-up game in the shop I'd like to throw my couple cents in here.

From my personal point of view.
First of all, where else can you get involved in setting the rules for your class. Us guys make the rules for us. That alone is in my opinion HUGH.

OK, now let me look at this as a sponsor.
What I really find interesting in this class is the fact that average Joe can build his truck for this class and compete. In other words, get new folks involved in racing their trucks. BUT to do this, the build should be doable at a somewhat reasonable price.

I would tighten up the rules a bit in order to allow "everyone" to compete and not being scared away from this class by the big dogs with hugh funds.
Nothing against the big dogs! They're doing great for the diesel sport! BUT average Joe just does not have the funds to compete with them. The big dogs have other opportunities / races / classes to push the limits.

I believe the SS class is a good thing if it can get more people involved in racing. Let's consider this for a moment as an "entry level" into racing.

With this being said I would:

1) Weight 6500. It's easier to add weight to the older trucks than having to cut the new trucks to get to 6000. Aaron's truck is the perfect example. Even without the hood 'n stuff he was still way heavier than the trucks he had to compete with....

2) Stock axel(s). Any internal mod to them is OK.

3) Stock transmission with a converter, any internal mods allowed. With "stock" meaning any transmission as found in any diesel truck truck of that brand. ( In poor words, a 48 into a 6.7L that had a 68 behind it is OK. )

4) Stock ECM's, no standalones.

5) No ECM tuning allowed during the quick 16 eliminations. Get it dialed in during the test sessions....

That should keep the $$$$ needed to compete in the class at reasonable level.

OPS, I forgot to mention...

6) Anybody who does not behave himself in the after hours is out. LOL

Just kidding here! Yet, I really enjoyed the very friendly feeling we all had during and after the race. The Diesel brotherhood at it's best!

Let me get this clear one more time. The above is just my personal idea.
It's just food for thought for the guys who will have the burden to take the final decision.

Whatever you guys will settle on I will keep supporting this race.

Thanks for listening!

Marco

Last edited:
Very good Marco! I think it is imperative that this remains a affordable class.

X 1000 !!!!

Other promoters, PLEASE reconsider allowing Non-Stock tranny's and other expensive options that will put this class out of reach of the beginning racer / budget racer!!

Let this class grow! Let this sport Grow!

Just my .02

Back