Supercharger like whine

Can you unbolt the converter and slide it back enough to not make contact with the flexplate?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I just had this exact same issue on a new engine I put together. Only a hundred miles on it before it started the loud whine. Took the belt off and changed power steering pump and it was still there.

So off comes the the front cover. Found this...

IMG_0800_zpsrlh6ctek.jpg

The idler shaft on the oil pump completely came loose from the casting.

Moral of the story, DO NOT buy aftermarket oil pumps. I'll only use original cummins oil pumps now.

That's what my machinist said a guy he just talked to last week had the same issue ? Was it you ? Lol Shawn small does my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No ****. Lol that's awesome I'm Gettin ready to pull cover off mine

Ya I thought it would be a quality part. Maybe someone should make this a sticky so no one else has this problem.

Hey, at least it was a quick find! I'm pretty impressed you found this that quickly. I think you owe kxhonda a beer ;-)

Wow, didn't figure I'd see the same thing in the same week lol. I think mine came out of one of the rebuild kits I had. Looks to be the same pump tho.

Unfortunately, OEM pumps have China cast right into them. I tell customers that it's pronounced "Cheenah" and in West Virginia. LOL

Most all aftermarket pumps I've seen are priced higher than list on a OEM Cummins pump. That adds insult to injury in my opinion.

FWIW, yours does not appear to be a OEM pump.

Last edited:
Kxhonda where do you live. I'll gladly buy you a beer lol or of your goin to schieds I'll be down there.

Back