Switchblade turbocharger

how about a video of the mechanical gauge showing 86psi. I still call bull****

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think you should invest in a set of mechanical gauges before making such outlandish claims.

I can fully believe "oldcarnut" forgot more about turbos than I know, but he will probably tell you the same..... any compressor making 6.5-7.0 PR is a pretty uncommon, much less with a 63mm on 359cid.

I'm reading boost from 3 locations and back pressure from 2! I have a actual gauge for boost and back pressure, as well as transducers for both, then also reading boost at the map sensor off the quadzilla. Now in these logs, they are reading off the transducers which the boost one is located on the compressor housing right before the boot. The gauge is on the intake elbow and its a 60psi gauge and it pegs it out. The back pressure when it's pegged is usually somewhere around 50-55 psi.

Guys, you know there's gonna be a drop in pressure when it flows through the intercooler! I should of stated the location of the transducer earlier. But still, we really don't know cause my gauge is only a 60 but still if it was only a hair over 60, to have even 10 more psi of boost than backpressure would be saying something.

For comparisons sake, here is a compressor map of Garrett's new GTX wheel, 62.5mm inducer.
a0391bf1.jpg

Notice how the highest mapped spot is just shy of 4.0 PR at 125,000 rpm? This is what I'm trying to convey here. You're almost doubling that pr with a similar inducer size. A much larger exducer than the 88mm of the Garrett would allow for increased PR's, but at the expense of mass flow.

The other way, which seems to be happening here, is that you spin it up to 1.21 jiggawatts and hope the wheels are balanced GOOD! LOL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFT7hNhop7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFT7hNhop7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not calling anyone a liar, and I've said that it's very possible that "Oldcarnut" knows something I don't, but this is just a lot to put out there on faith and random number "data logs".

i am at 83psi manifold boost at 71psi drive boost with my twins. no way in hell a single 63mm turbo is going to make 86.5 psi of boost with only 54psi of drive. just dont buy it. what injectors, what pump, what box, what other work is done to the truck?

I understand sir. I will say that obviously this only happened when conditions are perfect but constant every time I get on it I can get 70-75+ psi.

Here is a graph, EGT was scaled(divided by 10)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 13 11.24.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 13 11.24.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
It's "OLDTURBONUT".....

As far as balance goes these are balanced perfect before they are built.
At 80psi there is no doubt this turbo is way out of it's efficiency range.
I know this turbo is probably hatin life and we'll see how long it survives at 80psi.................
RANDOM DATA??????????? I don't see how this is random, the 80 psi is out of the norm but there has been lots of data posted showing drive is less than boost.

It's "OLDTURBONUT".....

As far as balance goes these are balanced perfect before they are built.
At 80psi there is no doubt this turbo is way out of it's efficiency range.
I know this turbo is probably hatin life and we'll see how long it survives at 80psi.................
RANDOM DATA??????????? I don't see how this is random, the 80 psi is out of the norm but there has been lots of data posted showing drive is less than boost.

take a look at the graph stroken just posted. if you look at the 106 to 127 mark on the bottom you can clearly see the throttle % was 100%. now look at the boost to drive in that area. its close to 1 to 1 and then all of a sudden boost spikes up almost 10psi at the very end of the full throttle run while the blade is at 0%. now take a look at the last full throttle % run. how is the egt, blade %, throttle %, AND DRIVE #s relatively the same but boost goes up almost 20psi with out changing the other factors? i think something is reading wonkey here

I'll keep posting new logs as well, I'll try an upload it today. As far as mods go, I had a hot rod vp when I first installed this thing, I now went back to a so vp. Fuel box is quadzilla adrenaline with 4k tune, built head( studs,110lbs springs, chromeoley pushrods,o-ringed), stock bottom end. Oh an ats3 piece. Injectors are still just 70hp ones. I didn't go bigger because I wanted to see how it'd spool and I have no problem so I'm leaving them alone for now.

take a look at the graph stroken just posted. if you look at the 106 to 127 mark on the bottom you can clearly see the throttle % was 100%. now look at the boost to drive in that area. its close to 1 to 1 and then all of a sudden boost spikes up almost 10psi at the very end of the full throttle run while the blade is at 0%. now take a look at the last full throttle % run. how is the egt, blade %, throttle %, AND DRIVE #s relatively the same but boost goes up almost 20psi with out changing the other factors? i think something is reading wonkey here

The other factor may be the load on the engine, I know where he does some of his test runs there is some pretty steep hils invoved. Maybe cummins41 can comment on that.

Here is a graph, EGT was scaled(divided by 10)

Oooof, that graph is showing me the switchblade is doing dick. Its akin to the magical camshaft that brings in so much "spool" LMFAO......LOL

80 LBS BOOST on 60 LBS DRIVE.......:bang dreamer's be a dreaming......

IMO the idea is flawed from the get go. Sure it chokes down the flow, but reduces the effective area that flow acts on the turbine.

Last edited:
chit even when you go to their website and look at the video of their turbo on a dodge running 53-55ish psi of boost drive is still at 50ish. no way in hell your making 30psi more boost than drive. like i said in my above statement. no way your boost is going to jump up 20psi in that graph with all other variables staying the same.

The other factor may be the load on the engine, I know where he does some of his test runs there is some pretty steep hils invoved. Maybe cummins41 can comment on that.

The run where I hit the 86 was actually running down hill at about 85-90 mph

Here is a close up of the 260-300 range. Most things are staying the same except you can see EGT is still climbing. Is that the extra energy that is spinning the turbine more?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 13 12.11.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 13 12.11.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
IMO an adr and 70hp injectors isnt enough fuel to make 80psi boost no matter what voodoo is going on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Here is a close up of the 260-300 range. Most things are staying the same except you can see EGT is still climbing. Is that the extra energy that is spinning the turbine more?

but look at a close up at the 106-127 mark. if you look at the egt for the given drive and % of the run, things should be the same but boost is WAY higher in the 260-300 range with everything else being the same. no way in hell everything is staying the same as far as variables and its picking up more than 20psi with blade %, throttle %, egts, and drive almost the exact same.

Back