Swole's Infamy of Carnage Continues!!

you havn't had a psi box on at all this time right?

Right!!

Took it off...But have played with the SSR press...But it never went above 25K even at WOT for several seconds.

Plus had my TCDiesel RV in place for the spikes...

Just got Word from Sticky (Kyle)...Jeff had him go ahead and pull the #4,5 & 6 injectors...They all look fine he said...As far as the tip to the naked eye....Jeff hasn't tested them though, or looked at them under an eye loop.

It just sounded like it came from the rear cylinders but who knows.

Anyone else have a clue what could have caused such a HUGE amount of white smoke and the clattering all the sudden....??

If a tip just cracked and didn't blow off, but dumped a lot of fuel...I guess that would make the smoke but would I have heard loud rattling/ clattering???

As if an injector hung open...? If this happened thank god you had monotherms! Tear apart the fuel filters and see if theres dirt already. Of course you were having a slight miss this hole time beta testing too right.

Maybe your surging issue was a symptom of something to come

On a different note, did your low end rattle go away on this build?

My truck sounded like what you are describing when I blew my MLS head gasket. IDK dude, I think after you get the injectors tested, pull the head and take a close look under there. I'm sorry to hear about your rotten luck.

Have you ever thought of just having a "race" truck, and regular truck David? It seems Don is saying those nozzles are really just for all out race motors, not so much street trucks.

I would either deal with less HP for a more reliable nozzle, or have a race only vehicle. Either way, I am sorry to hear about your luck man, you have got serious persistence.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Here is a man with wisdom beyond his years.

As if an injector hung open...? If this happened thank god you had monotherms! Tear apart the fuel filters and see if theres dirt already. Of course you were having a slight miss this hole time beta testing too right.

Good idea on the filter!

Very slight miss at low rpm / boost, but it kinda did that on my last build too....Always kinda chalked it up to my ecm...A Ghost in the machine if you will!

Maybe your surging issue was a symptom of something to come

On a different note, did your low end rattle go away on this build?

The rattle was less yes, but not gone.....However it did go away quicker with some throttle input this time too.

My truck sounded like what you are describing when I blew my MLS head gasket. IDK dude, I think after you get the injectors tested, pull the head and take a close look under there. I'm sorry to hear about your rotten luck.

Yeah, I figure the heads coming off either way....Just to be sure!

Thank you for your concern ( and everyone's )!

D45- Now I feel bad telling you how well mine worked out.... 2's are new stock Bosch modified (VCO I think). No worries man.

Ehhhhh, still feel uneasy about installing them after reading issues with Flux nozzles and melt downs and various other issues

It still makes me wonder why my stock nozzles would have 8 holes and the Flux 2s would have 5 holes......

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Here is a man with wisdom beyond his years.

I agree about the less hp and someday having a devoted race truck..Like said earlier, that was the goal, but always had to spend time/money to fix this one every time..

But as far as knowing anything about the nozzles being different from the get go, I really had no clue....Yes I did notice that they were shaped different a while ago but had no clue about the difference's and Plus vs. Minus....Just learned that.

If I had things to do over, I would have done MANY things differently!!
I'd love to have all my time and money back to put into a 12v race truck or at least a devoted CR race truck...

Oh well.....

If the injectors test fine with Jeff, are you going to want them too Don??

if he was wise beyond his years, he would have said "have you considered a 12v race truck?"

I think he was refering to SPEEDSHIFT.... He's know's I'm a doofus!!!:hehe:

if he was wise beyond his years, he would have said "have you considered a 12v race truck?"

Yeah, but I was considering all the parts hes already got in that motor. Put it in a linked 1/2 ton, it would be a bad little dude... maybe even keep up with a 12v...:poke:

Symptoms sound like a popped solenoid. Usually very obvious when you pull the cover. Will be more white smoke than you've ever seen in you life if you do it at full song.
Solenoids usually go at the front of the engine because that's where the most pressure is in the return circuit. Drill out the check valve at the back of the head if you haven't already.
Stuck pintle would net the same.......

Either case of that rail pressure would have dropped like a stone. And would of hardly ran.

The

Last edited:
Symptoms sound like a popped solenoid. Usually very obvious when you pull the cover. Will be more white smoke than you've ever seen in you life if you do it at full song.
Solenoids usually go at the front of the engine because that's where the most pressure is in the return circuit. Drill out the check valve at the back of the head if you haven't already.

???

Not heard (or paid attention to this) before...

Explain a bit more if you could please! Thanks Chris

Yep, this is possible. The solenoid explodes of the top of the injectors from massive volume and pressure spikes. The volume of fuel has to go somewhere. There are 3 passages inside the injector solenoid that are there to bleed of returned fuel. They can become overwhelmed. I have seen high pressure lift the ball off its seat and blast the solenoids off the injectors.

I replaced 2 last week and I recall at least 1 per month since big modded pumps or dual pumps came on the scene. Ive never replaced a solenoid on an engine that was stock. Or one that ran stock pressures/volumes.

That check valve...(that's what I'm going to call it).. is in the banjo bolt at the back of the head. Its a pretty small orfice and what happens is the combined return flow becomes to great and pressurizes the solenoid until it pops. More so as the leakage rate of the injectors goes to hell.

Drill out the banjo bolt that holds the return line at the back of the head so it can handle the excess flow if it arises.

Last edited:
I had a guy a while back that ran bio-diesel. The fuel was so dirty it clogged that little valve and would blow solenoids off every time you tried to start it. If that was the problem, her would just loose a injector rp would drop, and the truck would die. What about all his white smoke?

a buddy of mine just blew off an injector solenoid sled pulling. said he got a rail pressure spike on the 2-3 shift and it was crazy laud pop, **** ton of white smoke, then rattling till it died.

I had a guy a while back that ran bio-diesel. The fuel was so dirty it clogged that little valve and would blow solenoids off every time you tried to start it. If that was the problem, her would just loose a injector rp would drop, and the truck would die. What about all his white smoke?
When the solenoid pops you end up with a full ON injector. 100% duty cycle. All the white smoke is unburned raw fuel.

Don, still dodging the question about why your nozzles fail, you blame it on being sac type, so what is the real reason?

Back