TC or Transmission Issue at End of Run

BlackCloud86

Here is a video of my pull from over the weekend. Tires completely stopped spinning at the end, can't tell if my TC isn't holding up or if the transmission could be slipping that much. Is there a way to tell the difference? It is a fully built auto with a goerend triple disk converter, only have about 8 pulls on this setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEr5Ye3m4vQ

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What's the stall on the TC? Also, did you lock the TC?

Im guessing that it shifted to 3rd?

Looks like a power issue, maybe. What's done to the engine?

Looks like you shifted to 3rd gear and never locked the converter. Whats your axle gearing?

What's the stall on the TC? Also, did you lock the TC?

Im guessing that it shifted to 3rd?

TC Stall is 2250. Didn't get it locked up only locks in 3rd seemed like I had a boost leak and was worried I wouldnt have enough to stay on top of the charger. Yes I shifted to 3rd about 175 ft

Still was turning 3500 at the end

You need to lock the converter in 2nd and then grab 3rd when you have the RPM for it. Its essential to lock the converter with an auto because they just lose power through the converter if you dont. 4:10's might be a little tall depending on your engine/charger setup though. 4:88's would probably be a better bet.

Is your truck a manual valvebody? It really should have downgeared and spun at the end unless its a manual VB and you left it in 3rd.

Last edited:
Yes its a manual VB I left it in third would have shifted down but I thought the tires were spinning

I see. Id reccomend locking it in 2nd, and hitting 3rd when you feel like the RPM's are right. If you run out of steam at the end you can either unlock it or jerk it back to 2nd(or both).

You may find yourself wanting 4:88's if you cant keep the RPM's up in 3rd.

I see. Id reccomend locking it in 2nd, and hitting 3rd when you feel like the RPM's are right. If you run out of steam at the end you can either unlock it or jerk it back to 2nd(or both).

You may find yourself wanting 4:88's if you cant keep the RPM's up in 3rd.

Does that require VB modification? As it is now it will only lock up in 3rd.

Yes it does. The vb will not allow lockup in manual 2nd without it being modified.

Do you have a TV cable hooked up?

I did but was having trouble getting 3rd to shift firm enough, was told to just wire the valve open on the trans to get full line pressure. Seemed to fix the problem.

I did but was having trouble getting 3rd to shift firm enough, was told to just wire the valve open on the trans to get full line pressure. Seemed to fix the problem.

Wiring it open will work fine then. Have you checked to make sure it didnt come loose?

Maybe its just me but that didnt really sound like 3,500rpm at the end of the pull??

I think your transmission is fine at this point. You just need to modify the VB for 2nd gear lockup and then work out any power/gearing issues from there.

Wiring it open will work fine then. Have you checked to make sure it didnt come loose?

Maybe its just me but that didnt really sound like 3,500rpm at the end of the pull??

Yeah it was still open, and I think it was somewhere around there could have been a little less

I think your transmission is fine at this point. You just need to modify the VB for 2nd gear lockup and then work out any power/gearing issues from there.

I hope that is the case I will see if I can find someone who can modify the VB and see where that gets me.

Thanks for all the input

I cant see u not having a fried converter or welded forwards.

X2, I'm thinking more the converter is hating life. That was painfull to watch and hear. Unless your converter is SUPER loose, I'm thinking you have already done some damage. Most trucks even unlocked will still pull the motor down some as the tires slow down, your motor barely sounded like it cared.

Granted it's a video so it may be a little deceiving.

it looked like sparks coming from around the transmission at 26 sec of the video

Back