The EDGE Race Truck

HP is still HP

Gears will not change your HP. They will change your RPM. A 4.90 1/8 time is just badd A$$. What does that truck weigh?

If gears won't change your HP then how can they affect your RPM? RPM is how you find HP, right? We are speaking of applied HP, RWHP, ET or trapp speed....right?

Check out a dyno graph, HP will follow torque AND RPM.
Gears convert RPM to Torque. HP will remain the same because HP is based on RPM and Torque.

For example: If a motor makes 10HP and 17.5 Ft/lbs of torque at 3000 RPM and is connected to a 4.88:1 gearbox the output RPM will be 614.75 RPM but the torque will be multiplied by 4.88 (minus the loss through the gearbox)
HP at the input of the gearbox is: 3000RPM X 17.5 ft-lbs / 5252 = 10HP
HP at the output of the gearbox is: 615RPM X 85.4 ft-lbs / 5252 = 10HP

The reason to change gears is to match the peak HP of the motor to the vehicle. This is more apparent in a motor that does not make a lot of torque.

to Start....HP is HP. 100 HP @ 3,000 RPM is 100HP. Now, put a trans, driveline, wheels and junk behind it (Parasitic drag or load) and you'll have wheel HP @ 3,000 RPM, say 80 HP. If you're on heavy fuel and your engine revs @ 200 RPM per second...... Then again, if the engine runs a little lighter fuel and has 600 RPM per second..... gears start to mean even more.

Now I'm just all mixed up...... I have two engines making 80 RWHP @ 3,000 but one has more Torque, why?

Stingpuller said:
Gears will not change your HP. They will change your RPM. A 4.90 1/8 time is just badd A$$. What does that truck weigh?
wrong they will change hp at the wheels, HP is acceleration, taller gearing is more acceleration= which makes for more hp to the track. thats why on a dyno the faster the rollers turn the more hp you make...............

KBennett said:
Check out a dyno graph, HP will follow torque AND RPM.
Gears convert RPM to Torque. HP will remain the same because HP is based on RPM and Torque.

For example: If a motor makes 10HP and 17.5 Ft/lbs of torque at 3000 RPM and is connected to a 4.88:1 gearbox the output RPM will be 614.75 RPM but the torque will be multiplied by 4.88 (minus the loss through the gearbox)
HP at the input of the gearbox is: 3000RPM X 17.5 ft-lbs / 5252 = 10HP
HP at the output of the gearbox is: 615RPM X 85.4 ft-lbs / 5252 = 10HP

The reason to change gears is to match the peak HP of the motor to the vehicle. This is more apparent in a motor that does not make a lot of torque.
your right, TQ x RPM = horse power and that is your acceleration

well i just got off the phone with a leader in the diesel world, and it seems this thread has sparked interest in the EDGE race truck's owners. a long storie short---it's soon going into the race mode again, and going to be built by one of the best names in the country. if all goes as i was told it will be awesome.................:evil :rockwoot:

That is Great News!!!

DIESEL POWER said:
well i just got off the phone with a leader in the diesel world, and it seems this thread has sparked interest in the EDGE race truck's owners. a long storie short---it's soon going into the race mode again, and going to be built by one of the best names in the country. if all goes as i was told it will be awesome.................:evil :rockwoot:

I sure didn't know it would come to that,....

Bet a lot of people are happy about this. Nothing like good competition.:tree:

If the Wolverine is really going to run, then I just have one question...

Who will we see on the track 1st, the Wolverine or Comps ride?

I wanna see wolverine vs. racingduallie's truck

if it was comp it would be comp bs wolverine

if you see it it may not be untill the end of the season, they need to get the motor straight first.:rockwoot:

DIESEL POWER said:
if you see it it may not be untill the end of the season, they need to get the motor straight first.:rockwoot:
does anybody know any particulars on the engine...if they got a big dp article how come racingduallie hasn't gotten a big article?*bdh*

2001shrtbedcmns said:
does anybody know any particulars on the engine...if they got a big dp article how come racingduallie hasn't gotten a big article?*bdh*
yea it's going to be faster than RD's.................thats a article in itself.......:hehe: :hehe:

DIESEL POWER said:
yea it's going to be faster than RD's.................thats a article in itself.......:hehe: :hehe:

:umno: many tricks up my sleeve that no-one has a clue about.....:rockwoot: I'll play around with the first engine program that I started- the NEXT program will be C/R.:evil :evil

But for starters I'll have some fun with this setup I have going on now.....:rockwoot:

sounds like this is a deathmatch in the making. Where's timmy when ya need him?

2001shrtbedcmns said:
sounds like this is a deathmatch in the making. Where's timmy when ya need him?
No deathmatch needed I'll remain quiet in my lair.....:evil :evil

And honestly it's about time they dragged that program back out. Is Keith gonna be the driver again?

Just busy building the program..... I'm no corporate funded deal here LOL

RacinDuallie said:
No deathmatch needed I'll remain quiet in my lair.....:evil :evil

And honestly it's about time they dragged that program back out. Is Keith gonna be the driver again?
i dont have a clue who's driving---------for all i know i may be driving:evil

but knowing the builders of this im sure it will be very impressive.....:st:

Back