The Silver Bullet's build rebuild

FB_IMG_1446906083017_zpsofdpzvu8.jpg

Nothing to add to this. Super busy at work and the farm. I bought a new 472 to try and check timing

Truck is up and running. Timing didn't slip it is at 17. I had two injector lines leaking at higher rpms. Still having a slight miss in the 2200-2800 range but comes out of it after?

I'm amazed at how responsive the turbo is. Very easy to drive builds boost easily at 1800 rpms. I'm going to leave it as is for now and try to get the motor broke in.

Few issues I'm having is the damn belt squalls like a dying raccon. Everything is new alternator belt water pump and a gates belt. I'm thinking it's the tension which I replaced 3 years ago. If you take pent rating oil and spray directly into the bearing part it quit for a while....

Only builds about 170 degrees coolant temp. It has a new cummins Stat and the heat absolutely sucks. I have an oil temp Guage and it sets at 190. Hoping it's not a heater core issue as I don't want to pull the oem uncracked dash out lol.

Guess I'll order another tensioner and pull the Stat again. Which the old motor wasn't reaching full temp either.

Just thinking I redid my heater lines when it had twins is it possibly I hooked them up backwards??? I check that in the morning I guess and get some pictures posted up.

Also truck seems slow for all the work done. I did a couple pulls rolling down the highway and hit 60 boost. Still a lot of tuning left to go though.

Truck is up and running. Timing didn't slip it is at 17. I had two injector lines leaking at higher rpms. Still having a slight miss in the 2200-2800 range but comes out of it after?

I'm amazed at how responsive the turbo is. Very easy to drive builds boost easily at 1800 rpms. I'm going to leave it as is for now and try to get the motor broke in.

Few issues I'm having is the damn belt squalls like a dying raccon. Everything is new alternator belt water pump and a gates belt. I'm thinking it's the tension which I replaced 3 years ago. If you take pent rating oil and spray directly into the bearing part it quit for a while....

Only builds about 170 degrees coolant temp. It has a new cummins Stat and the heat absolutely sucks. I have an oil temp Guage and it sets at 190. Hoping it's not a heater core issue as I don't want to pull the oem uncracked dash out lol.

Guess I'll order another tensioner and pull the Stat again. Which the old motor wasn't reaching full temp either.

Just thinking I redid my heater lines when it had twins is it possibly I hooked them up backwards??? I check that in the morning I guess and get some pictures posted up.

Also truck seems slow for all the work done. I did a couple pulls rolling down the highway and hit 60 boost. Still a lot of tuning left to go though.

The OEM 12V TStat is a 180deg one that opens between 170-180 in my experience. I've played around with a few and that's been my experience.

That being said, I just put a new Cummins one in and now I'm never getting to even 140deg... Must have gotten a bad one that stuck open.

i felt the same about mine but the gate had zero tuning and i killed a boot in the first 15min. need to go get the damn thing and put some time into it.

So was it the turbo causing the noise you heard ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OEM 12V TStat is a 180deg one that opens between 170-180 in my experience. I've played around with a few and that's been my experience.

That being said, I just put a new Cummins one in and now I'm never getting to even 140deg... Must have gotten a bad one that stuck open.

It rides just a little above the mark between the 140 and 190 so I'm guessing that's about 170. The heat when you go to full blast it's hot for a few seconds then cools to look work and the heater core is still really hot. I got a guy down the road that's done a few heater cores I might just take it to him.

So was it the turbo causing the noise you heard ?

Yes after me and a buddy got to looking at it you could see where the compressor wheel touched the cover. Everything inside seemed really good though. Both chargers are still 270 thrusts but I have a 360 if I decide to stay single s400.

I have a htt 62 we have had for years and a got a JEB 475 drop in wheel considering using this to make a towing setup since a sold my ton truck this week and just down to my old Gen 1 and this 98.

Thanks for the replies

Gotcha, at least you got that figured out.

It rides just a little above the mark between the 140 and 190 so I'm guessing that's about 170. The heat when you go to full blast it's hot for a few seconds then cools to look work and the heater core is still really hot. I got a guy down the road that's done a few heater cores I might just take it to him.

This is the fastest way I've found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4B-Nhd6ik0

Good luck!

Well boys she's got a new mopar heater core and still an uncracked dash!
I'm still fighting a slight miss with the motor but it does run really good. I still have a leak with injector 1 and 3 the lines are tighter than I feel comfortable with. Going to try another set of lines then maybe check the over head again. Truck builds exactly 60 pounds of boost but sounds like a common rail. Noticeable change in exhaust note after 2200 rpm. Free Rev at 2000rpm to the floor it will miss and come out of it at 3000rpm.

It doesn't seem major I hope anyway. I have about 500 miles on the motor

Well boys she's got a new mopar heater core and still an uncracked dash!
I'm still fighting a slight miss with the motor but it does run really good. I still have a leak with injector 1 and 3 the lines are tighter than I feel comfortable with. Going to try another set of lines then maybe check the over head again. Truck builds exactly 60 pounds of boost but sounds like a common rail. Noticeable change in exhaust note after 2200 rpm. Free Rev at 2000rpm to the floor it will miss and come out of it at 3000rpm.

It doesn't seem major I hope anyway. I have about 500 miles on the motor

Did you get the engine temperature situation fixed? Did the heater core fix the cab heat problem?

Engine temp still runs the same but it has very hot heat. I always thought these trucks ran right on 190? Mines about 170 on the guage I need to shoot it with my temp gun and see what I actually have.

Engine temp still runs the same but it has very hot heat. I always thought these trucks ran right on 190? Mines about 170 on the guage I need to shoot it with my temp gun and see what I actually have.
Ok, mine runs in the middle between the 170 and 190 lines when I have a 185 thermostat installed. Last couple years I've been running a STANT 195 thermostat. Helps with the heat situation in winter. With a 195, it runs just a hair under the 190 line.

sounds similar to what mine runs with the a cummins 180* stat. been a bit since i have driven it though and the scale is different on the gas cluster.

So would this concern you guys as far as power? Should I get the aftermarket one and run it a little warmer?

She's going in the shop today. I'm triple checking the timing and going to try to change some lines and try to get away from this miss.

I actually sold my ton truck couple weeks ago and considering making this a daily. I tow a lot for work and looking back into the twin route and ditching the 472. I'll try to get some pics up today threads kinda boring lol

i wouldn't worry about it running cool unless you are after fuel mileage. just my .02

^^Agreed.
I notice with my 190 on hot days the rad can't keep up when towing hard. I put in a Mishimoto and that seems to have solved the problem.

Back