Those of you who have went from a hrvp to so pump....

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
What was your first impression?

I had an so vp given to me off a fire motor a buddy had and i swapped it out to try and bring mileage back up some.....the pump fires right off, idles quiet and smooth.....but when you hit the skinny pedal it just makes noise, like it just revs quick and hard but doesnt pull near as hard as the hrvp......the reason i changed was the hrvp is just a smokey pig at light throttle.....anyone had anything like this.....

stupid phone

makes sense to me..the hrvp should eliver more fuel sooner..ummm..duh?

No, it doesnt pull near as hard on the topend....

stupid phone

I ran an SO, a HRVP, and an HO pump on my dodge. The SO had a better top end but less bottom end than the HO. The HO had the better bottom end but less top end than the SO. I've always been told that a HRVP is nothing more than an SO pump with HO electronics for the higher timing for a best of both worlds situation. Having run all 3 pumps, I'll have to agree with that statement.

i must not understand the question..the so isnt as strong as the hrvp right? or i got it backwards cuz idk wtf yer saying

Im saying the so pump is not pulling near as hard on the top....im wondering if there may be a problem, or if its just the nature going from an hrvp to an so pump.....

stupid phone

The hrvp is an old scheid pump from like 06'

stupid phone

I put a so on my sh!t box, and while I do love how quiet the so pump is, I cant wait to put my hot rod pump back on. the so pump does seem like it falls off a bit on the top side.

Last edited:
Have you played with tuning any? My truck is quiet, but honestly it doesnt drive much better...topend and snappiness is worse....so i think ill go back to my 150k hrvp.....hopefully until a pee pee pump

stupid phone

My truck is a '00 235hp engine how do I find out what type of pump it is? I think HO engines are 245hp

I ran an SO, a HRVP, and an HO pump on my dodge. The SO had a better top end but less bottom end than the HO. The HO had the better bottom end but less top end than the SO. I've always been told that a HRVP is nothing more than an SO pump with HO electronics for the higher timing for a best of both worlds situation. Having run all 3 pumps, I'll have to agree with that statement.

There was a write up on here awhile back. IIRC an HRVP is an HO pump with an SO cam. The SO has a bigger cam and an HO has bigger plungers. Or vice-versa.

I thought it was the other way around.The SO had bigger pluggers and the HO had a bigger cam.

Hence why kevin said vice-versa.....yall, i know the differences in the 2 pumps...the question is, all you hear about is people making good numbers with an so pump, better than with a hrvp....but my hrvp seems to pull harder, so reckon there is a problem with my so pump? Or is it just the nature of the pump.....

Yesterday after being at lowes the truck had a random hot hard start.....for the third day in a row, but it cranks normal everwhere else ive been.....also when you let off the throttle anytime the it idles real low then high then low a couple of times.....almost like its gonna die but it catches itself...

stupid phone

The so pump I have does the exact same thing. And yes, I did some tuning with the smarty and tst. Seemed to smoke its balls off more than move. I know at the same positions of pedal movement(work with me) with my hrvp this thing would have been snappy and easier to drive.
Hence why kevin said vice-versa.....yall, i know the differences in the 2 pumps...the question is, all you hear about is people making good numbers with an so pump, better than with a hrvp....but my hrvp seems to pull harder, so reckon there is a problem with my so pump? Or is it just the nature of the pump.....

Yesterday after being at lowes the truck had a random hot hard start.....for the third day in a row, but it cranks normal everwhere else ive been.....also when you let off the throttle anytime the it idles real low then high then low a couple of times.....almost like its gonna die but it catches itself...

stupid phone

Our Hot Rod pumps not only come with new electronics but they are built with a new large head and rotor, new high lift cam, upgraded advance and the most aggessive programming possible. These pumps are as close to a new pump as you will find. Thanks, IIS

People have said that a SO pump will make more power than any Hot Rod pump. The truth is, there is NO WAY that is true based on fuel delivery. The Hot Rod pump of ours flows more fuel than any SO pump on the market. Someone may not have enough air pressure to make the HP or they may not have the right injectors to maximize the out put of the Hot Rod pump. The right components always need to be in place to get what you are looking for. Thanks

When I found out that a reman so pumps' electronics where old electronics that tested within Bosch's specs and shipped out to be used I thought this to be unacceptible and chose my Industrial Hot Rod pump. And have been happy ever since.
Our Hot Rod pumps not only come with new electronics but they are built with a new large head and rotor, new high lift cam, upgraded advance and the most aggessive programming possible. These pumps are as close to a new pump as you will find. Thanks, IIS

yesterday I swapped back to the ole' trusty scheid pump..... just to find that the SO had thrown a 0216 code... so I guess I wasn't a good pump....

although the hrvp rattles alot more, its a hell of a lot more driveable, and makes a ton more power on the topend...but maybe its all because the SO was bad... I dunno...

My HRVP has over 150k on it, with 150's or larger, and It might be worn out, but its ran strong since i got it and never failed me (knock on wood)... I just don't know what I want to do when it does **** the bed...

Back