Tires

Fahlin Racing

We have any tire companies jumpin into diesel powered drags yet? We just may have the tire wars that existed many moons ago?

True, maybe they won't bite trying to be top dog again in the ranks of a race cars shoes to cross the finish line first.

A drag race is a drag race. If AA Fuel cars can run what they run and door slammers can run 3's in the 1/8th on radials we have all the tire technology we need. The issue isn't tire technology...it's suspension technology.

A drag race is a drag race. If AA Fuel cars can run what they run and door slammers can run 3's in the 1/8th on radials we have all the tire technology we need. The issue isn't tire technology...it's suspension technology.

Agree with 90 percent of what you said... There are alot, including me who need some size changes... A taller drag radial is what ive always needed.. I realize, i have 410's, and i realize i could easily do a gear swap.. But as you know that puts more pressure on tranny and driveline.. Im not a ps guy like some of you guys, just a 11.99 racer that can possibly cut a 10.99 streching it... I need a 32in drag radial... That can be safe...:Cheer:

Even cool days versus warm days in racing may effect different compounds so I suppose you could have a track-tire specific set too.

Just a thought on would we see Goodyear, Hoosier, M&H or other mostly out at the track? Or just a follow the leader in using tires as to who wins?

I think its crazy that there is basically one common Diesel Street/Race tire. I want a soft compound 32" tire that will fit a 20" wheel. Its 2015. Not that interested in buying a set of wheels and tires that look like they came off a 1979 chevy 1 ton.

I think its crazy that there is basically one common Diesel Street/Race tire. I want a soft compound 32" tire that will fit a 20" wheel. Its 2015. Not that interested in buying a set of wheels and tires that look like they came off a 1979 chevy 1 ton.

How many of those do you think they would sell per year? Do the math from a tire company's perspective.

It would take more than a handfull to make it a profitable venture for a tire company.

Someone has to be first right? I probably live in the state with the least amount of track and street racers and I know, just off the top of my head, half a dozen diesel guys that would definitely buy a set. Probably a couple more that don't drive diesels. Clearly the few people guys posting here know don't represent a very big segment of the necessary market, but this website doesn't cater to, or represent a very big market.

I've done the "math", and I think there is a market. For example... Calvert racing makes a Caltrac Bar kit specifically for 03-07 dodge 2500's. Not quite apples to apples, but close. I bet that application is less than 5% of their market, but they still felt is was worth while.

If its street legal, reasonably durable, and looks cool, it will sell quite well as every wanna be and weekend warrior will want a set. I don't think a track only tire would sell very well at all, but I'd love to have one.

But... what do I know, I don't sell tires for a living, and the people that do obviously don't agree with me. :p

If I could buy a set of sticky 305/50 R20's for $1000-2000, I'd buy a set tomorrow, and another before years end. Probably another two sets in the next 2-3 years. Hell, Nitto could use the exact same mold as the 420s and use a sticky compound, sell them as track only, and likely make very good money.

If you read up on drag tire technology, you'll quickly learn tremendous traction penalty that comes from short side walls. A sticky compound will help, but it will never hook well with short side walls, especially when built on the carcass of a nitto street radial rated to haul around light truck sized loads.

Back