Tires

People keep saying that nobody is going to manufacture a 20" drag tire, but there are many already available, they are just too small in diameter for what most of us diesel junkies want to do. A larger one, say in a 32" O.D., a much taller sidewall, might actually have a market if people would ask for it. :Cheer:

Last edited:
These work great for me. Depending on your max RPM they might be a little short for you though. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 28x14.5/ 16's on 16x12's. I know you aren't into smaller wheels though.

385AF653_zps4616e0cb.jpg

248D7DC6_zpsb18a8472.jpg

The only problem is the larger brakes on a 3rd gen. There are decent option out there for a 17" wheel though.

Are you running beadlocks?

The only problem is the larger brakes on a 3rd gen. There are decent option out there for a 17" wheel though.

Are you running beadlocks?

There are people running 16's on third gens. Either modified 3rd gen brakes or 2nd gen conversion.

I'm not running bead locks. I had a tough time at first figuring out tire pressures. They spun on the wheel the first few passes.

We tried the Mickey Thompson ET street radial IIs 28x13.50R18 to be exact and I can tell you they were a waist. There was not enough side wall to get them to hook. Our best 60' ever with them was 1.61 which was only on one pass. We were cutting consistent 1.65s w old worn out 33x12.50 mud tires. So to me those short sidewall radials aren't worth anything.

These work great for me. Depending on your max RPM they might be a little short for you though. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 28x14.5/ 16's on 16x12's. I know you aren't into smaller wheels though.

385AF653_zps4616e0cb.jpg

248D7DC6_zpsb18a8472.jpg
But who cares how well they work, that's not the right look!

I couldn't admire any of the trucks/owners/builders who's pictures are in this thread any more. The things they are doing are the things I dream of. Their goals are just different than mine right now.

I'm pretty crafty, once I set my mind to something, I will do it. Eventually. If I can run mid to low 10's on 20's, without making over ~900 hp I will be happy. I believe this is attainable. If I cant do it, I'll pony up and get whatever tire I need to reach that goal. I rarely choose the direct path until I've learned everything I can for myself along the way. Never claimed to be smart. :evil

Not to High jack, but I'm in the market for Radials and Wheels for my truck. What do you guys suggest? I have 20x10 BMFs with 305/55 AT2's which are stupid heavy. I have a set of proxes St1's on order... but i really dont think I am going to drop enough weight for the track. I am looking for some 17x10s at least with a 390/40 17. but i just can't make my mind up... and would like suggestions. I'll run 16's if there is a decent tire option but I couldnt find one with a 30"+ Height. unless its way wide.

Looking to change mine and need opinions. Current tires are 29x15.5x16 Hoosier pro-streets. Aired down to 8psi I'm still burning threw second and chirping third. Looking at a set of 305/50/20 420s but don't know if I'll gain at all because of the loss of sidewall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
Would like to go with a 18" wheels to keep some sidewall but all the good street/strip tires you have to jump to a 20 to get the size I need

Looking to change mine and need opinions. Current tires are 29x15.5x16 Hoosier pro-streets. Aired down to 8psi I'm still burning threw second and chirping third. Looking at a set of 305/50/20 420s but don't know if I'll gain at all because of the loss of sidewall.

Why would going from a race tire to a narrower street tire help you in any way?.... And have you checked if they are spinning on the wheel at 8 psi?

Not spinning the wheels in the tires, I wouldn't call them a race tire. The compound just doesn't seem like it sticks like the 420's do. The tires almost seem hard only stick halfway decent with a good size burnout. In the process of putting a truetrac in the diff and thinking about changing the long bars for caltracs and hoping this helps.

Isn't the desire to run 20" drag tires into the 10s kind of like the desire to take an hx35 into the 10s? You can want something but if it isn't feasible then it will not happen.

For every diesel drag truck at the strip (which I have found many dragstrips despise us), there are probably 50 cars. The tire companies will target and market towards cars given they will sell an exponential amount more.

I still cannot grasp how you think a re-gear will put any more stress on the drivetrain than a taller tire?

Well, I'd say 420's would be a step backwards. I've ran quite a few different tires and I wasn't overly impressed with 420's. Is this a predominantly drag truck or a street toy? If you're going for a racing setup just buy cheater slicks, drag radials, or slicks.

Primarily a street truck, will see a little track time. If I just cannot anyway get a street tire to hook Im gonna get another set of tires for track. The compound on these Hoosiers feel like mud tires... Their hard

Back