To batmoto, or stick with billet.

I was told that most of the failures involving the batmo chargers where due to the turbo manufacturer defect. Something along the lines of over hardening of the shaft and it becoming brittle if you will. I'm no metalurgist so take it for what its worth.

And I thought double bats where modification on the inducer and exducer side of the compressor wheel.

I was told that most of the failures involving the batmo chargers where due to the turbo manufacturer defect. Something along the lines of over hardening of the shaft and it becoming brittle if you will. I'm no metalurgist so take it for what its worth.

The shafts and BW parts have no such problems. Beware of that messenger.

How can you say for certain that there was not an issue? Has Borg never had one quality control problem? Do we have proof that a batmo equiped charger is less durable than a standard billet charger?

Just seems like there is a lot of he said she said on these things and its pretty interesting. Just want some cold hard facts

How can you say for certain that there was not an issue? Has Borg never had one quality control problem? Do we have proof that a batmo equiped charger is less durable than a standard billet charger?

Just seems like there is a lot of he said she said on these things and its pretty interesting. Just want some cold hard facts

If you want I can put you in touch with some of the engineers at BW, or the head one if you like. We test MANY units and have never seen a repetitive shaft failure due to a manufacturing problem from BW or Garrett or Holset...etc, and we test them to purposely explode them for other testing parameters, which if their was a shaft issue it would have definitely arose by now. Now over spinning or just plain not balancing is another issue. If it wipes the shaft out because of that, its not a manufacturing defect, but assembly defect due to balancing or just plain running a turbo outside its limits.

since it was brought up....I learned back when I began learning about turbos that the entire rotating assembly must be a ballanced unit. Which makes perfect sense to me. What does not make sense is swapping a wheel and the assemlby remaining balanced.

Or is my thought process flawed? It usually is. LOL
CompD Mobile Device

since it was brought up....I learned back when I began learning about turbos that the entire rotating assembly must be a ballanced unit. Which makes perfect sense to me. What does not make sense is swapping a wheel and the assemlby remaining balanced.

Or is my thought process flawed? It usually is. LOL
CompD Mobile Device

Yes flawed.....ONLY way to zero balance a turbo is by ASSEMBLY balance only BY reference as well. The wheel and shaft have to be referenced to each other as well, and some units require the wheel, nut and shaft have to be referenced. Component balancing is not effective.....same thing as balancing a rotating assembly for your motor, then merely throwing a new crank in, or using the same crank and throwing new rods in. Now can it be done.....yes, can you get lucky and a turbo survive, .....yes, would I take the chance....umm no. To much money at stake.

I had a batmo S366 failure in less than 300 miles. It was a shaft failure supposedly due to overspeed and or high drive pressure. Bill, at Bullseye Power, took care of me. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with the folks at Bullseye again.

I think yours is one of the ones I was reading about, where you hitting it with spray?

I think yours is one of the ones I was reading about, where you hitting it with spray?

I had before. When it failed, I was just driving home from work. The nitrous may have done some irreparable damage in the few instances it was actually used.

Just heard Batmo to standard billet wheel gained 11hp, no filter single charger, same cover.

Wouldn't the different contours of the wheels require use of a cover designed for each to be 100% optimal? Or are the contours near identical between the wheels tested? I just want to make certain there is nothing missed in the comparison or atleast try to do so.

Why would the cover need to be altered to accept a different leading edge? A 75mm profile is a 75mm profile, I don't care how Batmo(E) it is.

Why would the cover need to be altered to accept a different leading edge? A 75mm profile is a 75mm profile, I don't care how Batmo(E) it is.

Correct, both wheels are the same contour, so covers are interchangeable.

Yes flawed.....ONLY way to zero balance a turbo is by ASSEMBLY balance only BY reference as well. The wheel and shaft have to be referenced to each other as well, and some units require the wheel, nut and shaft have to be referenced. Component balancing is not effective.....same thing as balancing a rotating assembly for your motor, then merely throwing a new crank in, or using the same crank and throwing new rods in. Now can it be done.....yes, can you get lucky and a turbo survive, .....yes, would I take the chance....umm no. To much money at stake.

I thought that was what I meant. LOL

After I retire form the Air Force and get a degree in fluid mechanics can I have a job? LOL

That may be true in this case but that is not always a guarantee with other brands.

Oh, OK....so batmowheels are made to a common BW profile....so you can drop a batmo in a BW cover of the same size....but if you drop it in a Garrett, you need a cover because the profile isn't the same.

Do I got that right?

I see what you are saying, and yes. The inducer/exducer profiles will often vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Back