Tore the engine down in my puller (pics)

I really think now that guys are putting some miles and time on the aftermarket cams they are gonna find issues. #1 thing I feel is most are running to heavy of a spring. I feel near 200lb on the seat in a 12 valve street truck is too much. #2 is if you have to run an additive you are not running the correct oil or the cams metalurgical properties are not what they should be to hold up with over the counter oils. Just my thoughts

I think you have a great point with #1!! You once made a comment about my old motor regarding the way it was still making power up past 4k and you hadn't seen that before...stock valve springs.

Good point with #2 as well. But cheap tried and true additives are great in a street truck when over the counter oil is what one has to settle for. And there isn't much us little guys can do about metalurgy...that has to something the suppliers care enough to fix, if they can.

So instead of looking at who's cam has gone bad how bout lets see a poll of what valve spring you were running with a cam that went bad. Maybe there is a certain brand or spring pressure that's killing them more then the quality of the cam itself.

Exactly...there is more to it than just the cam itself.

high pressure springs and new tappets
high pressure springs and used tappets
low pressure springs and new tappets
low pressure springs and used tappets

for failed cams only?????? then add cam brand????

High pressure springs, helix 2, used tappets (252k) 40k miles and no wear on the cam.

I might have just gotten lucky, who knows. I was even late on a couple oil changes and only using rotella 15w 40.

Back