Tore the engine down in my puller (pics)

I really think now that guys are putting some miles and time on the aftermarket cams they are gonna find issues. #1 thing I feel is most are running to heavy of a spring. I feel near 200lb on the seat in a 12 valve street truck is too much. #2 is if you have to run an additive you are not running the correct oil or the cams metalurgical properties are not what they should be to hold up with over the counter oils. Just my thoughts

I've got over 50,000 miles on a regrind now...kinda curious about how it looks. It's coming out next month...guess we'll see. I've run either Rev-X or zinc additive at every oil change...hoping for the best.

Rich,

When it comes out shoot me a picture of it if you don't care and don't wanna post it. PM me when it comes out and i will shoot you my number.

Also, sorry for multiple posts, i don't know how to do the multiple quotes. This thread is making me feel alot better about going with an aftermarket cam!!!NOT!

It's one of Hogues cams. Believe me I'm gonna post pics.
If his stuff is holding up I'll be the first to say good job. If its falling apart...then everyone will see that too.

I went Stock...All the Cam threads didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling at all.

If his stuff is holding up I'll be the first to say good job. If its falling apart...then everyone will see that too.

I hope it is holding up an I don't care who made it!!

My helix 2 was installed in 2006 ran 3 seasons lots of hooks. Pulled it out looked great, sold it to a guy on here.

I also ran a helix 2 for 2 seasons and about 4000 miles prior to that. Sold it to a member on here as well. Looked good when it came out. Rotella oil then went to Brad Penn.

I'm sure running increased spring pressure on a flat tappet this is bound to happen on any cam.

Just a thought remember that seat pressure is totally different from nose pressure. I have never seen a cam wear the heck out of the base circle.

The nose pressure is what you need to be looking at. Seat pressure needs to be as high to keep reversion from happening. Nose pressure needs to stay under 450lbs(competition) with todays oils and 400lbs on a street truck. The if you have a regrind, even less and if you are running lobe widths around .700" I would not go over stock pressure.

Another thing to factor is that on the exhaust lobe, spring pressure is less than half of the total strain that the lobe will see. The biggest percent of total pressure that is transmitted to the lobe comes from the exhaust valve opening against very high cylinder pressures. It is not uncommon for the exhaust valve to have over 2,000lbs pushing on it. Multiply that by your rocker ratio of 1.7 and you have 3400lbs on the tappet! The 300-400lbs of spring pressure on the exhaust is small taters.

Zach

Last edited:
Im running a maxspool cam its fixing to some out as well. Will post pic's of it.

Glad to see you getting the truck bad togather Josh, always enjoyed watching you make a pass down the track.

A week before diesel power challenge we had Dustin west's motor torn down due to a tappet that had broke the face off running one of Hogues cams. All the lobes were chewed up and pitted, this motor had roughly 20k miles since the install.

A week before diesel power challenge we had Dustin west's motor torn down due to a tappet that had broke the face off running one of Hogues cams. All the lobes were chewed up and pitted, this motor had roughly 20k miles since the install.

What size tappets? Were they new?

I just pulled out a Helix 2 and it had 40k on it, lobes looked great. Just running 15-40 Rotella changed every 5k, sportsman springs and the tappets are the stock ones with 293k on them. I had it sold to a guy but UPS decided to drop it and it is now a 2 piece cam.

For whoever was looking for a 4bt cam, I will see if enough remains for you.

I just pulled out a Helix 2 and it had 40k on it, lobes looked great. Just running 15-40 Rotella changed every 5k, sportsman springs and the tappets are the stock ones with 293k on them. I had it sold to a guy but UPS decided to drop it and it is now a 2 piece cam.

For whoever was looking for a 4bt cam, I will see if enough remains for you.

I would be interested in it for a 4bt cam if it is still useable. Thanks

Wouldn't the valve timing be way different between a 4bt and 6bt? Don't really see a cut off 6bt cam working in a 4bt.

all the junk oil we have now + all the increase valve spring pressure = time to go with a roller cam.

Back