Trans alignment dowel pin cause this to happen?

Trans Failure

• alignment dowel pin missing caused it to fail

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • alignment dowel pin missing did not cause it to fail

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Sanger

Had a shop do a full build on a 48RE transmission, they install my transmission and they missed putting in one of the alignment dowel pins on the transmission to the engine adapter plate, not knowing this at the time. I drove it around town and made some passes at the track, putting some miles on it, things seem to be good for a shot time and then the torque converter starts slipping. I take it back to the shop and find out the torque converter failed a long with the Stator was damaged. Had the torque converter fixed and the Stator replaced a long with the Trans gone through and freshen up. They re-stalled the transmission and I go and drive my truck on the street, driving it normal let it go through its shift sequence, six miles down the road and I hear a boom in the transmission, I knew right then something broke, truck would not move at all, so back to the shop I go. They pull the trans to find the input shaft shattered this is SunCoast OM3GA input shaft. What in the world would cause this to happen? Was not even accelerating hard at all.

Very hard shaft! tend to snap instead of twist You shocked it "Shear Crack" at the track possibly them drove it as you said normal but the damage was already there just took a few take off's to finish the break!

This is on a SunCoast OM3GA shaft, I'm nowhere near 1500hp.

Was that the input shaft that was in the Tran's with the dowel missing? That shaft would have been compromised pretty bad with a dowl missing and you'll fight with it forever if the facings got *****ed out.

Shock load can exceed "ratings" easily. Having a missing dowel is most likely the culrpit. The trans needs to be centered otherwise it can side load the internals.

Was that the input shaft that was in the Tran's with the dowel missing? That shaft would have been compromised pretty bad with a dowl missing and you'll fight with it forever if the facings got *****ed out.

Yes, this shaft was in when the alignment pin was missing.

Can a Moderator setup a poll.

Alignment dowel pin missing cause it to fail.

Alignment dowel pin missing did not cause it to fail.

poll added, any thought that 7500lb truck running 10's has effect on trans failures?

poll added, any thought that 7500lb truck running 10's has effect on trans failures?

Only if the truck weighed 7500lbs, couple hundred less maybe.:poke: Its was built with all the best parts, so I thought it would hold up better. What do all the big HP guys do to make them last?

Only if the truck weighed 7500lbs, couple hundred less maybe.:poke: Its was built with all the best parts, so I thought it would hold up better. What do all the big HP guys do to make them last?

buy regular cabs.

I have seen missing dowel pins break a billet flex plate in 20 miles. So I am all for the failure being because of the pins.

Alignment Pins are a MUST HAVE item.
If they are compromised or missing failure will happen,especially with power.

Dowel pin, they really did put them in there for a reason. We broke several transmission cases in race cars because we were missing a dowel pin and didn't notice it/didn't realize it was that big of a problem.

I went through eight transmissions in just over three years, until finely number seven was built to hold up to the power, now from a missing alignment pin, two more transmissions are dust. It would be nice if a shop makes a mistake would step up and own there mistake.

Back