Truck drives like sh*t with good parts

TheSilverBullet

All the correction factor
Alright fellas nothing new here but I thought this was supposed to fix these turds

2001 Ram 3500
Borgeson steering box
3rd gen track bar kit from dss
Moog ball joints
Napa wheel bearings

All these parts were put on at 225-230kk.

Now it never did drive great after I did this but seems to be getting worse. Truck is at 255k now seems like I'm literally hearding cattle driving this pig.

So did some recon and the track bar does have a little movement in bushing. The damn box has more take up than any used one I've had. The ball joints have movement in them pretty good.

Are these trucks just a total piece of **** or do I just have bad luck? My first gen has over half a mil on her and it feels like Ferrari on the interstate compared to this 01.

Now what now? Yes considering driving it off a cliff bug also looking at other options.

08.5 steering upgrade?
Redhead box or something that feels like a first gen
Another set of ball joints? Maybe get an extra set just swap um out every 25k?

Idk maybe I'm over reacting. Discuss

Good luck, I've replaced nearly everything in my 99 and my 93 ford still drives way better.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Id say you just had bad luck. My truck is an 02 with 218k and is all stock still and drives very well.

Not being a prick but I don't think the damper will solve all the worn out parts with roughly 30k on it? My buddy keeps telling me these trucks are junk and I'm starting to believe him lol

I want to do Luke's links on mine and a 3rd gen track bar. Every 2nd gen I've ever drove is horrible. Mines so bad it drifted over the white line a little last night and gave my new wheels a good bit of curb rash. A lot of people are doing the '08 up swap, just curious how much does the stuff cost to do the upgrade?

Not being a prick but I don't think the damper will solve all the worn out parts with roughly 30k on it? My buddy keeps telling me these trucks are junk and I'm starting to believe him lol

What are the road conditions were you drive the truck as that makes an impact on how long parts last. I have at-least 70k on the front end parts of my truck now and would say although not like a new truck its definitely not bad.

Two Observations:

You did not mention when you changed your shocks out but I have noticed as my shocks get worn, my steering starts to feel more vague. Also when did you have an alignment done, as that has more affect on the front end handling then you would imagine.

I want to do Luke's links on mine and a 3rd gen track bar. Every 2nd gen I've ever drove is horrible. Mines so bad it drifted over the white line a little last night and gave my new wheels a good bit of curb rash. A lot of people are doing the '08 up swap, just curious how much does the stuff cost to do the upgrade?

Does the 08 stuff fit properly? What about swapping a 08+ axle under a second gen then you get outboard discs also

You have to move the spring perches in a bit on the 3rd gen axle IIRC. I would look really hard at the control arms, if the bushings in them are shot all the good parts elsewhere are not going to help one bit. I replaced everything you did on mine plus the control arms. Made an amazing difference, the 08+ steering helped a good bit too, I could tell the difference before and after installing it. On my 01 all I had to do was trim the stud on the tie rod down a bit to clear the rim.

I run this truck in Illinois about 1000 miles a week and the roads are pretty bad. I also haul a lot and pretty heavy loads. My grain trailer I pull I scale at 38k combined. I understand the stress but I think I would get more miles out of these parts?

The Shocks were new when I bought it at 198k but they are just cheap yellow Monroe Shocks and are pretty tired.

08 front end seems to be a good idea. Where are you guys getting them? Cheapest place?

I've been wanting to do the control arms and put poly in them. That should help.

The borge box needs attention though has anyone ever adjusted one? I have a brace I just need to modify it for the delphi box location.

Undecided on Shocks don't really have the coin for some 5100s and I've read all the stamped tube Shocks are the same.

Should be able to get ball joints warranty just need time to do all this lol.

The final thing is maybe different tires? I run klevers because they're cheap but maybe need to look into a little less aggressive tire?
I do off road with trailers and what not for work so traction is still a concern

Thanks for everyones input.

Plan B: buy another first gen?

No offense taken haha. I have a stock front end with what I say are not excessively worn parts(ball joints, tie rods, stock track bar w/luke's link(doubt it did anything, previous owner installed it) and it wanders a bit and I'm sure the steering damper's never been replaced so I'm putting the blame on it.

I was amazed at how flimsy the stock control arms are, you can flex them by hand, look at some good aftermarket units rather than new bushings. Better tires will help, I loved the Duratracs on mine and you can tell the difference between a cheap and not cheap tire.

I was amazed at how flimsy the stock control arms are, you can flex them by hand, look at some good aftermarket units rather than new bushings. Better tires will help, I loved the Duratracs on mine and you can tell the difference between a cheap and not cheap tire.

I've got Duratracs on my 3rd gen and I thought they wandered a bit, but maybe I better get mine in the air and see if it's got something gone loose again *bdh* Mine hasn't had the best front-end service either, but hearing the luck you've had, mine doesn't sound so bad.:(

I was thinking about boxing them. Bought a house this year so I'm going pretty conservative on truck parts haha. I was actually thinking about duratracs I really like that tire.

I was amazed at how flimsy the stock control arms are, you can flex them by hand

Wow, that's crazy. Yeah I'd box them and put some polyurethane bushing in them or even better Johnny joints, similar to what Carli uses in their arms.

Tires make the most difference on 2nd gen. Outside of that you can take the big hits out if your offroading .... not much you can do for the smaller stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've got Duratracs on my 3rd gen and I thought they wandered a bit, but maybe I better get mine in the air and see if it's got something gone loose again *bdh* Mine hasn't had the best front-end service either, but hearing the luck you've had, mine doesn't sound so bad.:(

Don't get me wrong, the truck still has a bit of wander to it, but no more jerking over with the ruts and you can let go of the wheel for a sec and feel safe. I ran 315's which happened to be the highest load rating version of the Duratrac and kept them at close to max on the front, bit lower (10psi) in the back.

I was thinking about boxing them. Bought a house this year so I'm going pretty conservative on truck parts haha. I was actually thinking about duratracs I really like that tire.

Boxing them should help them out a lot. I could grab them on both ends and twist hard, you could feel them giving.

Ok are all the 08 upgrades the same? I found this on eBay for $275.
For some reason when I go to add the link it closes out the page but here's the address if you want to copy and paste

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2003-2012-DODGE-RAM-2500-3500-UPGRADED-STEERING-DRAG-LINK-TIE-ROD-ASSEMBLY-/131337012707?fits=Year%3A2008%7CMake%3ADodge&hash=item1e944bc5e3:m:mCEiW69iy5LAiBsFcsQlfbA&vxp=mtr

Shocks.
I know 5100s are about the best out there but is there any mid run shocks that's worth a darn?
Brands like rancho,pro comp,Monroe, and rough country can be had on eBay for 160-200 for a set of 4. Yes I know you get what ya pay for.

Last question is anyone every adjusted the Delphi style box? Some where I read on the stock box and it seemed simple to take the slack out of it? :thankyou2:

Ok are all the 08 upgrades the same? I found this on eBay for $275.
For some reason when I go to add the link it closes out the page but here's the address if you want to copy and paste

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2003-2012-DODGE-RAM-2500-3500-UPGRADED-STEERING-DRAG-LINK-TIE-ROD-ASSEMBLY-/131337012707?fits=Year%3A2008%7CMake%3ADodge&hash=item1e944bc5e3:m:mCEiW69iy5LAiBsFcsQlfbA&vxp=mtr

Shocks.
I know 5100s are about the best out there but is there any mid run shocks that's worth a darn?
Brands like rancho,pro comp,Monroe, and rough country can be had on eBay for 160-200 for a set of 4. Yes I know you get what ya pay for.

Last question is anyone every adjusted the Delphi style box? Some where I read on the stock box and it seemed simple to take the slack out of it? :thankyou2:

Yep, looks like they listed the latest part #, 52122362AL, so you're good to go, this one might save you a bit:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2012-RAM-1500-2500-3500-Upgraded-Steering-Linkage-Drag-Link-Mopar-52122362-/181785046451?hash=item2a533badb3:g:uNoAAOSwu4BVr7Kq&vxp=mtr.

5100's are far from being the best out there.

I tightened up my stock box up some, it helped a little.

Back