Truck wont fire

MOPSD250

Ok got engine in finally. Engine cranks over fine just wont start. If I give it a shot of ether she will fire till she runs out of ether. Is it possible that im 180*off on my pump or my engine? Or is it possible I dont have enough timing All my mods are in my sig. Worked on the damn thing all day frustrated any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked the fuel shutoff? Do you have fuel to the hpc tubes? Is it smoking when you crank it?

Sounds like your timing is off. Does it run like **** when it does fire with ether? If so, your pump, pop it off and turn engine to tdc again and start over. sounds 180 off.

Are you getting fuel out of the injection pump? make sure the shut off lever is pulled up

Have you checked the fuel shutoff? Do you have fuel to the hpc tubes? Is it smoking when you crank it?

Dont have the fuel shut off solenoid wired up. Im able to push it and pull it.Yes fuel to the tubes cracked all the lines to verify. And ya it spits out white smoke. Thanks

Sounds like your timing is off. Does it run like **** when it does fire with ether? If so, your pump, pop it off and turn engine to tdc again and start over. sounds 180 off.

I only give it a lil squirt of ether so cant really say if it runs like ****. I have an adjustable pump gear. Thanks

Are you getting fuel out of the injection pump? make sure the shut off lever is pulled up

Yep getting fuel out of the pump. dont have fuel shut off solenoid on im able to move the lever with my hand. Thanks

I did the screw driver method of TDC cause I was second guessing myself for awhile. It is a TDC on the compression stroke

Ok I barred engine over from the harmonic balancer turning the engine clockwise until I saw #6 exhaust close and #6 intake just start to go down. I pulled the pin on the pump and verified the pump was a TDC. I will be honest I have never had this much problems timing a freakin motor! Im at the point Im bout ready to pay some one to come and do it!!

on tdc compression both valves on number one cylindar should have lash.

allright then are you sure the pump is good. We had a guy bring one to us having the same problem. We double checked everything. Set the timing to 18* and it would fire then but not hardly run and white smoked terrible. come to find out the pump was junk.

Yes im sure the pump is good. I had IFS (International Fuel Systems) out of Findlay Ohio go through it

on mine i set the pump and motor both at tdc not realizing that the pump needs to be whatever degree timing you want before tdc. wouldnt start and just white smoked to beat hell.

when IFS went through the pump they pinned it at 20* for me. I cant even get mine to fire. Only time it does is if I give it a lil shot of ether

Last edited:
That would be the cae if the pump shop pin timed it at zero. By his sig i would say they set it at 20* so once the motor is tdc lock the pump down and it should be ready to fire. If the pump is fresh and it is timed right, then it has to be fuel related. Thats all it can be. 1 inch of damper movement counter clockwise is about 12-13* of timing. If you havent allready, make a timing pointer, go pin to tdc then rotate the motor back 1/2-1 inch and try that. Use whiteout to mark your spots so you can see it and go back to them if needed.

Back