Truckers, lets see your rigs!

What he said is about the same for bnsf. We call it job insurance though (I've got it). And I'm not sure about you but a big problem with the people we have as trainmasters (management) is they have never had experience on "the ground". They usually come straight out of college where they have absolutely no idea how a railroad works but a book tells them it should work this way and when it doesn't they want to get someone in trouble for it. The railroad hates promoting from the ground up in this day and age.

Turbos aren't the issue same as with the C15, once you get the IVAs disabled with a proper tune it pulls the pressure down and everything works great.

Except for their idle oil pressure issues. The CAT rep we use said there still isn't really a fix from CAT as of yet. His advice was watch oil pressure and watch idle time. I lost a little bit of respect from them on that response. Drivers these days are lucky to remember their boots in the morning. Unlikely they are going to keep an eye on anything.

I assume the reason we have had better luck with single chargers is the tune that comes along with it more so than the turbo after hearing about the IVA issue. The simplicity of the single charger is still appealing to me.

Are C12s known for oil pressure issues? The 2 we run always seem to have lower pressure than I would expect a motor to have

What he said is about the same for bnsf. We call it job insurance though (I've got it). And I'm not sure about you but a big problem with the people we have as trainmasters (management) is they have never had experience on "the ground". They usually come straight out of college where they have absolutely no idea how a railroad works but a book tells them it should work this way and when it doesn't they want to get someone in trouble for it. The railroad hates promoting from the ground up in this day and age.

I have a friend who worked a year and a half or 2 years as a BNSF conductor straight out of college then was indefinitely furloughed a couple months ago. Seems like a crappy way to treat and retain employees

Last edited:
Are C12s known for oil pressure issues? The 2 we run always seem to have lower pressure than I would expect a motor to have

I have a friend who worked a year and a half or 2 years as a BNSF conductor straight out of college then was indefinitely furloughed a couple months ago. Seems like a crappy way to treat and retain employees

I love the C12 for our applications. We haven't had any issues with them minus the typical wear and tear and the plastic end caps on the wrist pin at times being an issue.

Yeah I was furloughed for 13 months when I first hired out back in 2008 and it sucks. They definitely show you the true meaning behind the saying "being railroaded" Where did your friend work out of?

Yeah I was furloughed for 13 months when I first hired out back in 2008 and it sucks. They definitely show you the true meaning behind the saying "being railroaded" Where did your friend work out of?

Out of Seattle I believe. He moved to Seattle after getting the job at least

Thank you, yup cat uprated it to 470 for me. Next step will be a Single charger with tune and a EGR Delete from PDI or someone similar. But @ 7k installed for the kit. It'll need to prove its worth this fall before I do that. However it will get some bling sooner than later inside the cab and maybe a few more lights here n there. To me it's the best of both worlds @ 244". I can still maintain good ride quality while still having the ability to swing in small hate holes and do farm pick ups. Plus I love the color a lot.

DO NOT TAKE THE TURBOS OFF!! It's a collisional waste of money. Flash the ECM and drive it. 550hp to the ground all day and embarrass the stock 15L guys. Also if it's got around 500k miles and the oil cooler is original get it replaced before it comes apart. There is nothing wrong with the C13 other than the higher cost of overhauls and the idiots at Cat that decided to change rod design and are too stupid to put a matched set in the overhaul kits.

People get "fired" all the time on the the railroad. We call it getting run off. It's getting terminated that you have to worry about. The amount of rules we have to comply with is unreal. I have to carry a three ring binder that consists of our rule book. Then you have bulletins and notices for the area you operate in and system wide they put out quarterly that you have to print and comply with. Basically it's IMPOSSIBLE to work a full day without breaking some kind of rule no matter how hard you try and it's designed to be that way. We even have a rule that states you must know and comply with all rules at all times.
Anyway, whenever somebody derails or tears something up the company's solution is to send a "hit team" to refocus everyone on safety and rules compliance. But, everyone is too worried about where these guys are hiding and it does just the opposite. The hit team is a group of managers from other terminals that show up with the sole purpose to write people up for any kind of rule violation they can find. So when you get written up the way the railroads discipline people is to fire you for however many day depending on the severity of the rule violation you were written up for. It can vary anywhere from three days to a year. Some are worse than others, what may get you fired at one railroad may get you run off whereas if you worked for someone else they may just talk to you and tell you not to do it again as long as it's not and FRA violation. CSX just loves to fire people I guess. We've got at least 25 people I know of in our terminal that are fired right now.
The insurance I was talking about most of us have is to cover us if we get fired. That way you don't go broke. You pay a monthly premium based on the amount of coverage just like any other insurance and if you get fired you get payed a daily amount for whatever number of days you don't work. Some guys I know carry as much as $500/day. So whatever you're covered for, that's how much they'll pay you every day you're fired. Sorry for the novel but takes a lot to explain all that.

Thanks for explaining that. That sounds like a ***** of a job to deal with, always worries about getting fired or anything for any stupid little thing. Its crazy that they "fire" people for days to weeks etc, my jobs are all if your fired you dont comeback, thats why I was kinda confused. That insurance is pretty cool though. Could you collect unemployment along with that as well?

Thanks for explaining that. That sounds like a ***** of a job to deal with, always worries about getting fired or anything for any stupid little thing. Its crazy that they "fire" people for days to weeks etc, my jobs are all if your fired you dont comeback, thats why I was kinda confused. That insurance is pretty cool though. Could you collect unemployment along with that as well?

I could if I wasn't doing this while I'm off.

It's like that at a lot of places. Seems more in the union shops. I know steel mills are bad about it. A new girl was operating a large forklift at a steel mill. They have an 8mph speed limit and she felt her lift was going faster than that (no speedo). Called her supervisor and told him about it. He had her drive it over a set distance and timed it. Found it was doing over 8mph and wrote her up for operating faulty equipment.

Thats ****ed up..... she brought a problem to their attention and got in trouble for it? That is what is wrong with management type people these days.

Thats ****ed up..... she brought a problem to their attention and got in trouble for it? That is what is wrong with management type people these days.

I see both sides, either way that situation was wrong. However the unions love to push buttons so the management pushes back. I know guys that work at non union plants and they don't have any of these issues. I think it's hard for the company to get rid of people at union shops so they pick on everything they can to get dirt on employees.

Here she is all put together! My 2012 Wilson Pacesetter 41x96x66 Full Light Package with Extra lights on rear. Stainless front and rear, 2 rows of 9 lights with 24.5 rubber. I love it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks good! I pulled a set of black Wilson's for a bit, nice trailers but they sure are heavy
46f89dc6b3e63833a5ac651d0b0bacbf.jpg

My lightweight with that setup was right about 36,000 pounds. I could carry 70,000 pounds legally in most states we operated in, 74,000 legally in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. My tractor wheelbase was 21" over legal for British Columbia

Back