Truckers, lets see your rigs!

This may be a stupid question but do the fully electronic engines advance timing with RPM? Something similar to the mechanical cats with their mechanical timing advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm suspicious that the answer is not so much due to emissions. Advanced is higher peak pressure which means high NOx

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

c127457f8a06d60274d37ac31ac4db56.jpg

I gots boost :D

Full rack travel would require the same voltage no matter the setting, the solenoid that moves the rack is locked in place, if 5v allows full movement of the rack then it would take that same 5v on the other engines to get same movement as the solenoids are identical.

I would say it has more to do with when the ECM starts pulling fuel in relation to boost and so on. Maybe upper rpm limit because PEEC truck engines are limited to 1900 rpm and the marine 3408 would be 2300 rpm.

Yes, but it's all about voltage. Different maps control it. Those should be easy to modify, there are not many maps in there.

Yes, but it's all about voltage. Different maps control it. Those should be easy to modify, there are not many maps in there.

No one is going to invest that time on something so unreliable, I only know of maybe a handful of these engines that run right that still have the electronic controls on them.

Buddy and I were having a discussion the other day about which would be more desirable a 400 Big Cam or a mechanical N14? The N14 is intercooled but it seems we couldn't dig up much info on adding fuel/power to them...or much info in general really. Are they relatively similar to the later Big Cams? Which has better power potential or strength?

The application would be occasional farm use, mostly screw around/pull truck.

Buddy and I were having a discussion the other day about which would be more desirable a 400 Big Cam or a mechanical N14? The N14 is intercooled but it seems we couldn't dig up much info on adding fuel/power to them...or much info in general really. Are they relatively similar to the later Big Cams? Which has better power potential or strength?

The application would be occasional farm use, mostly screw around/pull truck.

If mechanical N14 has Celect block and heads then it has more potential.

A buddy of mine just got his new truck, its a 2012 glider with a 550 6NZ, he's worked damn hard for the last few years to get where he is and went through a lot, i couldn't be more happy to see his hard work finally paying off for him.

Out with the old
01526344988911d67b70610624128aac.jpg

And in with the new!
a31f3def3a2196c1ea7329bb665f5fad.jpg

A buddy of mine just got his new truck, its a 2012 glider with a 550 6NZ, he's worked damn hard for the last few years to get where he is and went through a lot, i couldn't be more happy to see his hard work finally paying off for him.

Out with the old
01526344988911d67b70610624128aac.jpg

And in with the new!
a31f3def3a2196c1ea7329bb665f5fad.jpg

Sharp looking! Not sure about that moose guard though lol

Sent from my flashscan v2

If mechanical N14 has Celect block and heads then it has more potential.

And what is done about the later heads being taller, a standard body mechanical injector will not match up with the ports in the head for fuel.

Early celect may have similar heads to a big cam so what is gained being they use the same port design as the big cams, just slightly different manifold and air to air cooling.

Last edited:
So I have a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyhow. How come v8's (or v cylinder engines in general) never catch on in the big truck market but they are so prevalent in the light duty market?

So I have a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyhow. How come v8's (or v cylinder engines in general) never catch on in the big truck market but they are so prevalent in the light duty market?

They were very popular when there were overall length restrictions and cabovers were much more prevalent.

Sharp looking! Not sure about that moose guard though lol

Sent from my flashscan v2
For where he runs it doesn't make sense to NOT have one. They save truck owners a lot of money and downtime after even one animal/vehicle encounter

They were very popular when there were overall length restrictions and cabovers were much more prevalent.

That makes sense. But why did they not catch on once the restrictions were relaxed? I know Cat uses a v8 in their d11r and we use them in our locomotives (but in a 16 cylinder) so I don't understand why nobody has made one to put in trucks in this day and age.

That makes sense. But why did they not catch on once the restrictions were relaxed? I know Cat uses a v8 in their d11r and we use them in our locomotives (but in a 16 cylinder) so I don't understand why nobody has made one to put in trucks in this day and age.

Weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet a combination of weight and fuel consumption has a lot to do with it, those V8's are thirsty motors, but my hell.....listening to a 3408 rumble through a set of 8" straight pipes is pretty damn close to a religious experience. Haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back