Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Obviously things can change but the V8s I've known guys to have and work every day weren't to reliable in my opinion. A Cat and a Mack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what is done about the later heads being taller, a standard body mechanical injector will not match up with the ports in the head for fuel.

Early celect may have similar heads to a big cam so what is gained being they use the same port design as the big cams, just slightly different manifold and air to air cooling.

Then how are N14 and M11 Celects converted to mechanical ? They didnt change heads but said N14 head looked much better for flow and bottom end also looked stronger. I asked him about fretting problem but had never even heard about it and didnt change bearings when building his pulling engine.

This may be a stupid question but do the fully electronic engines advance timing with RPM? Something similar to the mechanical cats with their mechanical timing advance.

They advance timing to rpm, load and emissions. Timing maps look very strange, it's easy to see at what point nox emissions are measured when timing is retarded a lot, sometives goes to negative. We just found out that Euro3 Scania V8 engines camshaft is so retarded that maximum advance you can get is about 15 degrees, Euro4 and 5 use DEF, their cam is much more advanced, you can get about 25-27 degrees advance, those can be programmed to burn clean at very high power levels, stock injectors and 74mm Garrett gets over 900 hp reliable.

Then how are N14 and M11 Celects converted to mechanical ? They didnt change heads but said N14 head looked much better for flow and bottom end also looked stronger. I asked him about fretting problem but had never even heard about it and didnt change bearings when building his pulling engine.

Let me look into the M11 STC body, could be something to that.

Obviously things can change but the V8s I've known guys to have and work every day weren't to reliable in my opinion. A Cat and a Mack

What was unreliable about the 3408, it has more in common with the 3406 than it has differences.

Also like to hear about these 998 issues.

What was unreliable about the 3408, it has more in common with the 3406 than it has differences.

Also like to hear about these 998 issues.

My experience is with one of each of the V8s that guys we know had.

The Cat I knew about had injector cup/ head issues. Would put water in the oil. He got a new head and solved the problem but said it was pretty common in the 3408s.

The Mack had cylinder liner issues, wrist pin issues and injector issues. That was when he was working it daily at 750 hp, before he took it off the road as strictly a puller.

If the nozzle adapter has issues in an 08 then it would have the same issues in an 06, parts are not different, the head is almost identical to a square port 3406 head with two cylinders cut off and different style intake.

Sounds like he had an oiling issue more so than anything, the nozzles I find hard to believe, Bosch parts just don't give that much trouble unless he had someone take them apart to work them over that didn't know what they were doing.

We have swapped the same set of nozzles between two engines that have been modified twice over the last 10 years with no issues, heck they have been out of the engine more than I care to count. Same goes for when the pistons were pulled a couple seasons back to have reliefs cut, no liner or pin issues.

If the nozzle adapter has issues in an 08 then it would have the same issues in an 06, parts are not different, the head is almost identical to a square port 3406 head with two cylinders cut off and different style intake.

Sounds like he had an oiling issue more so than anything, the nozzles I find hard to believe, Bosch parts just don't give that much trouble unless he had someone take them apart to work them over that didn't know what they were doing.

We have swapped the same set of nozzles between two engines that have been modified twice over the last 10 years with no issues, heck they have been out of the engine more than I care to count. Same goes for when the pistons were pulled a couple seasons back to have reliefs cut, no liner or pin issues.

I'd bet a combination of weight and fuel consumption has a lot to do with it, those V8's are thirsty motors, but my hell.....listening to a 3408 rumble through a set of 8" straight pipes is pretty damn close to a religious experience. Haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know a local fleet that preferred 903s to 855s back in the day for fuel economy reasons

I know a local fleet that preferred 903s to 855s back in the day for fuel economy reasons

On the ag side a 903 and 855 in identical tractors doing the same job the 903 would get double the fuel economy. That being said we have no 903s any more and 3 855s in our tillage tractors.

On the ag side a 903 and 855 in identical tractors doing the same job the 903 would get double the fuel economy. That being said we have no 903s any more and 3 855s in our tillage tractors.

Their biggest problem was parts availability after the 903 started being used in Bradleys

Their biggest problem was parts availability after the 903 started being used in Bradleys

One of the main reasons we got away from them (and they are a pain in ass to work on compared to a in line, which is the reason I think smaller v engine went by the way side). That and 855s are everywhere. Speaking of the Bradleys I've always heard there are hundreds of 903s sitting at the bottom of the ocean off the east and west coast has anyone else heard that?

Weekend updated version 3.0 or whatever number I'm at.
1b66f74817630e31187b8ec479de082c.jpg

add142ceb4184daebb0e712d9925255c.jpg

4a728f3b8f04bd4327ebe99ff9bbd4ce.jpg

ea8651880535024922768e5a306eccfd.jpg

338989ef53816eecd3d5e5804938a8cd.jpg

The 10 on the side are also gonna be wired to a switch to turn to clear on my command.

That makes sense. But why did they not catch on once the restrictions were relaxed? I know Cat uses a v8 in their d11r and we use them in our locomotives (but in a 16 cylinder) so I don't understand why nobody has made one to put in trucks in this day and age.

MB used V8 before they switched to DD world engine, Scania still has big V8, one of the best engines these days, reliable, powerful and fuel efficient. But inline engines have more space for all this emissions crap, like EGR coolers etc.

One of the main reasons we got away from them (and they are a pain in ass to work on compared to a in line, which is the reason I think smaller v engine went by the way side). That and 855s are everywhere. Speaking of the Bradleys I've always heard there are hundreds of 903s sitting at the bottom of the ocean off the east and west coast has anyone else heard that?

Anything United defense ever rebuilt for the military should be at the bottom of the ocean! Holy garbage batman

Sent from my flashscan v2

Back