Truckers, lets see your rigs!

My straights on my w9l aren't that bad. But the series 60 is gonna be quieter than a bigger cat. My dads acert is louder with the identical pipes. You can't hear my truck while its moving and your inside. If you have the windows open an use the jakes with a big load and high rpm they are loud but not crazy loud. My pipe is sch 40 stainless with I think .28" wall.
Detroit Jakes are way louder than a cat. We put long 6" straights on a series 60 and ended up putting a muffler under the cab because it was so bad. I pretty much have the switch on always, if something goes wrong I like to have all the braking power I can get. I drive bare foot so it's not hard to just hold enough pressure on the pedal to keep them off.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Detroit Jakes are way louder than a cat.

This. My Pete with a Detroit came with straights and i was embarrassed to use the jakes til we put a muffler under the cab. It is still louder than I'd like but tolerable.

Detroit Jakes are way louder than a cat. We put long 6" straights on a series 60 and ended up putting a muffler under the cab because it was so bad. I pretty much have the switch on always, if something goes wrong I like to have all the braking power I can get. I drive bare foot so it's not hard to just hold enough pressure on the pedal to keep them off.

It does take a light foot to shift without letting the jakes kick in on my binder.

This. My Pete with a Detroit came with straights and i was embarrassed to use the jakes til we put a muffler under the cab. It is still louder than I'd like but tolerable.

My 99 international with series 60 ddec 4 and 5" pipes is higher pitched than my dads 07 cat and it can be louder.

My 94 kW with the same thick wall stainless 6" stacks as my dads Pete is not louder than his Pete which has twin turbo acert. It has a ddec 2 series 60.

Last edited:

I at least wear slippers haha

It seriously feels weird to me to get in my truck without kicking my boots off on the step

Depends how long I'm driving whether I take my boots off or not. And I always let the Jake on, if you can't feather the throttle enough between shifts to keep it from coming on you don't deserve a truck with Jakes.

Depends how long I'm driving whether I take my boots off or not. And I always let the Jake on, if you can't feather the throttle enough between shifts to keep it from coming on you don't deserve a truck with Jakes.

The hell with that, just power shift it all the time. LoL

Well I wouldn't want a guy detuning my truck because he don't like the sound my truck makes. I don't degrade the way I do my work because I don't like the attitude of my client.
You use the jakes on a straight piped truck in front of the shop and annoy the neighbors after you've been told not to, you'll be lucky if your truck will pull a greasy needle out of cat's azz when it leaves.

I have time or I wouldn't have the trucks. But it takes a lot of time. I never said I was a douche on how i operate my jakes. I said earlier I respect when I used them. My point is detuning a truck or changing someone's tune because they used their jakes is ignorant. I have respect using mine so take it easy before you start calling people douches. Just because I've got straight pipes and jakes don't mean I'm a di*k about it.
Jakes with straight pipes in a residential area is the definition of ignorant.

Being there is a house along the driveway to the shop there I would have the same attitude.
You mean you don't think your neighbors would think it was cool? BRRAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last wrecker douche used it in at least the last 5 gears approaching the drive which lit the fuse. But using the jake 3 times in reverse backing in really got the fire going. I'm sure he thought there wasn't a dry pair of panties in the county.

My truck has a little resonator in it behind the turbo and it does literally nothing, getting up to speed or going down the road my straights don't bother me, but my engine brake drives me batty, I use them as little as possible because they're obnoxious. I thought straights were cool as hell for about a month and then I was over it. I'd love nothing more than to be able to have a good throaty sound on acceleration and a little rumble with the Jakes but still be able to carry on a phone conversation. I can't wait for the day this sum***** gets the mufflers rammed down the stacks.
A straight piped acert isn't terrible, andmost with a VGT isn't bad but if I can't talk on the phone under a load it's too loud IMO.
I'm working on container cranes now..... Does that count?!?

I could mash so much stuff with that.

Brakes are $50 or little more per set up here with no spring kit. When your an owner/operator doing your own repair work and own 2 trucks and 3 trailers, the less repair work you have to do the better. Sometimes I don't have time to drive never mind the work needed for maintenance and repair work. I take of my stuff and drive to make sure stuff lasts. It's the only way to make money.

I wouldn't think it's a very good idea changing someone's computer around because ur being Pissy about noise lol I do love the sound of a good set of straights and a jake. I used a heavy wall stainless pipe used for potable water on series 60. It's nice and deep. There are some loud obnoxious ones for sure though.
Look I get what your saying but I'm going to vent a little so not all this is directed toward you. You mention brakes cost $50 meaning you price shop brakes. I don't EVER buy based on price alone because this is why you can't get good parts anymore. Everyone has beat up the parts companies to the point everything is junk. NEW name brand starters that don't work out of the box, brake chambers that don't last a year, reman transmissions that won't make it 30K miles. It's all BS and caused buy everyone trying to save a dollar. Used to be you had a choice, you could buy the off brand for $50 or the quality part that won't fail for $75. Now the quality part is gone because paying $3 more for a brake chamber that didn't fall apart was too much.

Had a local guy try an aftermarket Chinese Cat head. Looked good and the price was $1000 cheaper so I was curious. He got it all bolted down started the truck and fuel pissed out of the exhaust manifold because of a porous casting. Wasted $1000 headgasket set, $1000 worth of machining work to the head plus hours of labor pulling it back off and at least another week of downtime waiting on another head to be done. Was it cheaper?

Friend owns a big truck salvage yard, the same guys that cut the rates on the stuff we haul are the ones stopping in wanting used brake shoes, clutches off scrap pile. (no I'm not joking) Had a guy buy a junk used clutch and install it in his gravel driveway. Another bought a core head and thought he was going to run it.

Bottom line, if you have to buy cheap parts to stay in business you need to get out of the business because you are the problem.

You do realize that he owns a few trucks himself?
Keep that chit to yourself!:hehe:

Love the 3am calls that your brand new Delco starter won't even click and your driver is blocking the busiest door at the steel mill. And did I mention your not allowed to fix it on the property you get to have your truck unloaded and towed out the gate by the only approved tow company in town $$$. :bang

My binder is almost impossible. It's doable but it's so touchy.

You use the jakes on a straight piped truck in front of the shop and annoy the neighbors after you've been told not to, you'll be lucky if your truck will pull a greasy needle out of cat's azz when it leaves.

Jakes with straight pipes in a residential area is the definition of ignorant.

You mean you don't think your neighbors would think it was cool? BRRAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last wrecker douche used it in at least the last 5 gears approaching the drive which lit the fuse. But using the jake 3 times in reverse backing in really got the fire going. I'm sure he thought there wasn't a dry pair of panties in the county.

A straight piped acert isn't terrible, andmost with a VGT isn't bad but if I can't talk on the phone under a load it's too .

I get what your saying. I said I use mine respectfully. Meaning I don't mash em in and round people's homes. Up where I live isn't crazy populated. On top of that if was asked not to use them I wouldn't. If it bothered someone.

A little more detail in the first post would have avoided some confusion.

If I was in a residential area an had customers using jakes I wouldn't be a happy camper.

Your a pair of pee stained sweatpants away from pulling a reefer I swear!!!:hehe:
Been there, done that haha.......
00c7188b8ee6670fba61a0e7bad3eb50.jpg

Look I get what your saying but I'm going to vent a little so not all this is directed toward you. You mention brakes cost $50 meaning you price shop brakes. I don't EVER buy based on price alone because this is why you can't get good parts anymore. Everyone has beat up the parts companies to the point everything is junk. NEW name brand starters that don't work out of the box, brake chambers that don't last a year, reman transmissions that won't make it 30K miles. It's all BS and caused buy everyone trying to save a dollar. Used to be you had a choice, you could buy the off brand for $50 or the quality part that won't fail for $75. Now the quality part is gone because paying $3 more for a brake chamber that didn't fall apart was too much.

Had a local guy try an aftermarket Chinese Cat head. Looked good and the price was $1000 cheaper so I was curious. He got it all bolted down started the truck and fuel pissed out of the exhaust manifold because of a porous casting. Wasted $1000 headgasket set, $1000 worth of machining work to the head plus hours of labor pulling it back off and at least another week of downtime waiting on another head to be done. Was it cheaper?

Friend owns a big truck salvage yard, the same guys that cut the rates on the stuff we haul are the ones stopping in wanting used brake shoes, clutches off scrap pile. (no I'm not joking) Had a guy buy a junk used clutch and install it in his gravel driveway. Another bought a core head and thought he was going to run it.

Bottom line, if you have to buy cheap parts to stay in business you need to get out of the business because you are the problem.

Keep that chit to yourself!:hehe:

Love the 3am calls that your brand new Delco starter won't even click and your driver is blocking the busiest door at the steel mill. And did I mention your not allowed to fix it on the property you get to have your truck unloaded and towed out the gate by the only approved tow company in town $$$. :bang

I could let it out that you might hold a steering wheel from time to time. LoL

Back