Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Tops a pretty damn good hill at 50mph and weighing 118K and you want to go changing things. Okay Les. :kick:

It runs strong but as you know with the single you have such a narrow useable powerband. With a big load you have to grab gears fast on a hill or rpm drops too far to pick it back up unless you like smoke and heat. Much below 1400 and your done, with compounds 1100 rpm and they light and go.

Luckily for me the single turbo kool-aid drinkers have left us with piles of perfectly good sets. The look on guys faces when they pick up their newly singled out Acert sitting beside a 800hp 3406e with the same turbos is priceless. Customer is always right, even when they're not.

Speaking of Les, he said he's got a local guy wanting to lose the turbos for a single so I told him to trade. Hope he does.

It's the spare truck no one ever drives. I gave my daycab to a driver because he's pulling a hopper so I took this one. Had enough of the narrow power band of a single turbo, getting an acert set when I get time.:st:

Got a friend with a 2ws with 58's, a 1000 cam, ported/coated manifold, and what I believe is an s586 (says Perkins on it). Is there another turbo that could be used with it to make a nice compound setup to compliment the proper tune? Stock 550 tune at the moment, just lookin for some good input

It runs strong but as you know with the single you have such a narrow useable powerband. With a big load you have to grab gears fast on a hill or rpm drops too far to pick it back up unless you like smoke and heat. Much below 1400 and your done, with compounds 1100 rpm and they light and go.

Luckily for me the single turbo kool-aid drinkers have left us with piles of perfectly good sets. The look on guys faces when they pick up their newly singled out Acert sitting beside a 800hp 3406e with the same turbos is priceless. Customer is always right, even when they're not.

Speaking of Les, he said he's got a local guy wanting to lose the turbos for a single so I told him to trade. Hope he does.
stock C16 turbo is still good up to 900 hp or something but I recommend GT50 with 80 or 82 mm compressor and stock Cat exhaust housing. Works from 1000 rpm in Volvo, should do same with same displacement Cat, they are not so different, just needs software done right.

My dad is looking to rebuild is 3406C this coming winter, I've been trying to convince him to find a round port head, an ACERT manifold and throw a set of ACERT turbos on his engine. But he has this conception like all the other guys do that the ACERT turbos are junk.

My dad is looking to rebuild is 3406C this coming winter, I've been trying to convince him to find a round port head, an ACERT manifold and throw a set of ACERT turbos on his engine. But he has this conception like all the other guys do that the ACERT turbos are junk.

For 800hp and below on a working truck you can't beat them. Compact, and easy to find parts. Custom is great until your 2k miles from home on a Friday night.

For 800hp and below on a working truck you can't beat them. Compact, and easy to find parts. Custom is great until your 2k miles from home on a Friday night.

My dad is in heavy haul making around 500 hp to the ground with his C. I think he would have a lot more working power ban and maybe more power with an ACERT set up. Just can't convince him.

Does Borg Warner by chance make an ACERT replacement set?

My dad is in heavy haul making around 500 hp to the ground with his C. I think he would have a lot more working power ban and maybe more power with an ACERT set up. Just can't convince him.

Does Borg Warner by chance make an ACERT replacement set?

No. I wouldn't want anything to do with them anyways unless they offer a titanium wheel for the high pressure side like the OEMs. We rebuild the OEM stuff and occasionally we get the aftermarket cores in and they typically have a failure of the aluminum replacement compressor wheels.

If you guys you have been a fly on the wall at the trucking show you would have been sick. I probably spoke to 200 people who had just spoken with a couple of other shops down the aisle about a single turbo kit. They were instantly sold and I could do nothing to talk them out of it.

So any pullers:

We are working on building a semi to toy with but would like it to be "legal" to pull. The way I read it if the engine appears to be an acert from the outside we can run factory appearing compounds. Is this fact?

No. I wouldn't want anything to do with them anyways unless they offer a titanium wheel for the high pressure side like the OEMs. We rebuild the OEM stuff and occasionally we get the aftermarket cores in and they typically have a failure of the aluminum replacement compressor wheels.

If you guys you have been a fly on the wall at the trucking show you would have been sick. I probably spoke to 200 people who had just spoken with a couple of other shops down the aisle about a single turbo kit. They were instantly sold and I could do nothing to talk them out of it.

So any pullers:

We are working on building a semi to toy with but would like it to be "legal" to pull. The way I read it if the engine appears to be an acert from the outside we can run factory appearing compounds. Is this fact?

Depends on who you're pulling with. Are you pulling with a club with a set of rules or are these brush pulls?

Our rules state they must be factor Cat turbos with no modifications.

Depends on who you're pulling with. Are you pulling with a club with a set of rules or are these brush pulls?

Our rules state they must be factor Cat turbos with no modifications.

Question is how are they determining the high pressure is stock?

So any pullers:

Who's rules?

A lot of the people I talk to want the single turbo because it's "simple." No matter if it runs better with twins or is more drivable, they just "think" it's less clustered

A lot of the people I talk to want the single turbo because it's "simple." No matter if it runs better with twins or is more drivable, they just "think" it's less clustered

It is cluttered, but a lot of that has to do with the precooler, something that can be deleted, makes for a much cleaner look.

Anyone know the size of the compounds on an mxs? Are they all the same sizes on a BXS, MXS, NXS, and SDP?

All turbos are GT5518s and GT4294s, the SDP versions are dual ball bearing, and I believe on the 600-625hp sets the 5518 has a billet compressor.

correct they are all gt55 and gt42 based. The mxs, nxs, and bxs are all the same. Journal bearing. Titanium compressor on the high pressure cast aluminum on the low pressure. The turbine wheels on the gt42s are not the same design as a standard gt4294. Bearing setup is slightly different as well. They use the gta45 style bearing with a spacer.

SDP has dual ball bearing chargers. The turbine wheels are a different design on the high pressure slightly. Low pressure turbine is the same. Both on the sdp have titanium compressors.

Last edited:
Never seen a Ti wheel on a cat.
What changes on the HP unit on 600/625?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
High pressure SDP (ball bearing) and High pressure standard

IMG_20160518_132504409_zpsil4lmmzj.jpg

Low pressure SDP (ball bearing) and Low pressure standard (diked up)

IMG_20160518_132509430_zpsqpwducdw.jpg

Backside of wheels

IMG_20160518_132438885_zpsruwu6fsa.jpg

The only aluminum wheel in the pictures is the standard low pressure. The Ti wheels are ridiculously heavy. The sdp high pressure has a slightly larger inducer but I doubt it flows much more than the standard Ti wheel as it has a much larger hub to it.

Last edited:
Back