Truckers, lets see your rigs!

You want to drive an FL80 before you buy? I have one...fukking rattle trap.

Never another freightliner
Chris

Ummm... What kind of truck are we talking here?

May guys have put modern electronic engines in older class 8 trucks.
I've thought about a 90s pet/kW/freightliner MD and swapping a isl/isX or 11L S60 series Detroit in it. While mechanical would be relatively easiy, the electronic part I have absolutely no clue about..

Adam, I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but there are several medium duty freightiners around central Texas. May be worth a look if you're ever that way.

02'FL70 Freightliner
Something similar to that, but to get away from the government crap has to be 99 and older

You want to drive an FL80 before you buy? I have one...fukking rattle trap.

Never another freightliner
Chris

Unless things change, I'll be are your shop tomorrow to pick up a F30 bean head heading to KY

I've thought about a 90s pet/kW/freightliner MD and swapping a isl/isX or 11L S60 series Detroit in it. While mechanical would be relatively easiy, the electronic part I have absolutely no clue about..

Something similar to that, but to get away from the government crap has to be 99 and older

Unless things change, I'll be are your shop tomorrow to pick up a F30 bean head heading to KY
Heavy truck electronics are way simpler than automotive. Most of the engine is self contained.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Heavy truck electronics are way simpler than automotive. Most of the engine is self contained.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never played with them much.. went to school to be a wrench, just wasn't fast enough, then got my CDL and landed a 65% pay increase.. driving..

Class 5/6 truck would be plenty truck frame/axle/brakes wise. But usually comes with a class 2/3 engine, 6-7L engines which arguably pretty much maxed out and under powered in stock form at 35-36k and the 3116/3126 cats that are common

Kinda wanting to bet against the plethora of ISB 5.9mechanic tech that can be transferred to the mechanical 8.3

Repower a medium duty?? Just thinking of that makes my head hurt. Haven't seen one yet that looked easy to pull an engine. We do plenty of class 8 engine swaps but shy away from the little stuff. If I can't see #6 cyl I don't want to touch it. Working on the engine from inside the cab isn't for me. Done some turbo replacements on a few and hated every minute of it.

Drove this truck in, pulled hood and cooling pack and had the red junk out in 3hrs. Take that long to find the back of the engine in a medium duty.
342233fbd449e77295d7d1a0f47adb8f.jpg
4c39eb37d786ce3aa00c9e164f6cbb31.jpg

You might as well have them toss that clutch out on the ground, won't be needing it anymore.

I am more surprised at the love for the Cummins crap than the love for the medium duties to be honest. They all have their problems but the electronic cummins stuff has put many of people dam near out of business. That is not an exaggeration. I think alot of that is attributed to the fact it appears Cummins no longer teaches techs how to troubleshoot. They must tell them at school:

First suggest to replace the turbocharger
Next replace every sensor on the engine
Suggest an in frame
Finally pressure check the charge air
Now you've fixed the over speed code

Repower a medium duty?? Just thinking of that makes my head hurt. Haven't seen one yet that looked easy to pull an engine. We do plenty of class 8 engine swaps but shy away from the little stuff. If I can't see #6 cyl I don't want to touch it. Working on the engine from inside the cab isn't for me. Done some turbo replacements on a few and hated every minute of it.

Repowering was in relation to putting an engine in that has most likely have parts on the shelf...
As for turbo swap.
It doesn't get much easier than this
14595633_10209916707927896_3480708258446163440_n.jpg

Probably not my place....must be Wilmington.

I repowered an FL80, but actually went smaller. I did toy with the idea of swapping in an M11, but that looked entirely too long and too much work.

When the FL80 dies, or we get tired of the rattling, we will probably find a big truck (Kenworth or Peterbilt only) and convert it to single axle instead of going back with another medium duty.

Chris

I repowered an FL80, but actually went smaller. I did toy with the idea of swapping in an M11, but that looked entirely too long and too much work.

When the FL80 dies, or we get tired of the rattling, we will probably find a big truck (Kenworth or Peterbilt only) and convert it to single axle instead of going back with another medium duty.

Chris
Yep Wilmington
14900498_10209916795010073_396261725691849065_n.jpg

Drove this truck in, pulled hood and cooling pack and had the red junk out in 3hrs. Take that long to find the back of the engine in a medium duty.

What's goin in its place? 2250's suck. Nice lookin rig

Chris

Get a nice old truck with a newer power train to haul all of your old iron.:rockwoot:

What's goin in its place? 2250's suck. Nice lookin rig

I still don't see the cummins hate. We don't see problems if people take care of them

I love them. They keep us quite busy. Rusted out ISX pans, every fitting on the engine crumbling to nothing on them, EGR valves, camshafts/cam bearings, and obviously turbochargers. Get more ISX specific calls than all other brands combined. I love it. The dealers are where half of the problems come from for the owners. "Well I don't know if my turbo is bad but the dealer has replaced every sensor, the wiring harness, the egr valve, and now they are telling me the turbo is bad." That statement is far too common from customers. Dealers run up a $5000+ bills diagnosing an ISX and people tend to hate them.

Back