Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I hate moving weight! I'm not a smooth bore tanker! Or tanker in general

If you chain the frame either compress the suspension enough so it won't move or make the straps long enough to swing with out getting loose... Which means
You have at least 6' long runs, short runs are more up/down than run length,
Chaining/strapping axles you have to make sure body doesn't cut the straps
Problem/danger with crossing straps/chains they can vibrate and cut each outher over long stretches

Outside high end stuff everything has T-bolt holes

It's a stationary tank, 4k gallons gasoline, 8k gallons diesel, double wall tank. Basically a tank inside of a tank, with the ~3" between shells filled with a concrete like substance for a "fire" rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's a stationary tank, 4k gallons gasoline, 8k gallons diesel, double wall tank. Basically a tank inside of a tank, with the ~3" between shells filled with a concrete like substance for a "fire" rating.

Wrong thread?

Why does the suspension need to move.. at all?!?
I pulled it down to bump stops, did the front put it in 4L idled backwards, did the rear, twice then put it in neutral let it settled then put it in park..

They don't move. I've blocked frames as well, and pulled a vehicle to the blocks

Most cars and compact suv crossovers can't get up these ramps without bottoming out or getting high center going from ramp to deck...
27907515_10214135990207316_6712998767772240069_o.jpg
I see. Makes sense to me.

Anything with a good front and rear axle available, I chain around them. Usually just two chains, one front, one rear. Though I've actually had chains slightly eat into a cast differential housing from multiple times being chained down. Started using thick card board between chain and diff housing to help separate the two.

I've hauled smaller cars and just run straps through the spokes on the rim, across to the other rim, then pull down via the closet stake pocket. Always keep some 1/4" neoprene rubber pieced in the tool box for strap padding and wheel protection. Seems to work well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We had a guy deliver a dump truck from a bed upfitter in West Virginia a few years back that ran the chains up through the gaps on the duals and back to the same side of the trailer. On aluminum wheels at that. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a guy deliver a dump truck from a bed upfitter in West Virginia a few years back that ran the chains up through the gaps on the duals and back to the same side of the trailer. On aluminum wheels at that. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've seen more than one like that, saw a guy hook the vent hole on a steel wheel and chain it down too. All the chains pulling in one direction is more common than it should be too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Couple of the big truck loads... You hook frame not axles last thing you need/want is that weight throwing you around
23669216_1874756265885549_1097450409024691962_o.jpg

15317858_1464946873533159_8400979569164448837_n.jpg

16473494_1554643581230154_8153407995494366014_n.jpg

Couple of the big truck loads... You hook frame not axles last thing you need/want is that weight throwing you around

23669216_1874756265885549_1097450409024691962_o.jpg

15317858_1464946873533159_8400979569164448837_n.jpg

16473494_1554643581230154_8153407995494366014_n.jpg

Frame on the rear of a semi and axle on the front of its spring. If not you’ll get a jerk on your chains from the springs when you hit bumps.
On smaller vehicles go around the axles if you can and if not take as much out of the suspension as you can .

Frame on the rear of a semi and axle on the front of its spring. If not you’ll get a jerk on your chains from the springs when you hit bumps.
On smaller vehicles go around the axles if you can and if not take as much out of the suspension as you can .

If vehicle chained by the frame is moving chains aren't tight enough

works on a golf cart..see it all the time..side by sides too....

Had to make a box for my sons Valentine’s Day party at school. He wanted a dirtbike on it so I took a toy bike and glued the tires down. Wonder if that would work on big stuff?

If vehicle chained by the frame is moving chains aren't tight enough

If you can take all the slack out of the front end of a semi springs I’d like to see it. No issue with chaining them by the front axle for us. Our roads are rough as shat.

We also haul water trucks and similar that can’t get a chain on the rear frame. Fuel trucks that don’t have ways of attaching either.

Last edited:
Can’t you just throw a strap through the doors?

Bare cabs I'll reverse belly wrap, and be able to close the doors without damaging it... the skids they're normal bolted to are questionable at best...
60" longer needs 2 straps

I'm sure there sarcasm somewhere there

I still do a strap on each corner, pulling crosways on my S×S.

Hell, as long as you have a landscape style trailer with short sides: no straps required. At most, just hook the winch to the front rail on the trailer. See it all the timeLOL

If you can take all the slack out of the front end of a semi springs I’d like to see it. No issue with chaining them by the front axle for us. Our roads are rough as shat.

We also haul water trucks and similar that can’t get a chain on the rear frame. Fuel trucks that don’t have ways of attaching either.
Refer to.my comment about cribbing, and blocking the frame...
Not knowing what equipment you have and how your said trucks are setup.. I still have a hard time believing it's impossible to hook to the frame without damage the body work...
Firetrucks are 15# of crap in a 2# bag and you can still get to the frame... Not saying you won't have to be creative but you can

70k firetruck bouncing with inches between road and bottom of the trailer is a very good way to tear stuff up

Last edited:
Refer to.my comment about cribbing, and blocking the frame...

Not knowing what equipment you have and how your said trucks are setup.. I still have a hard time believing it's impossible to hook to the frame with damage the body work...

Firetrucks are 15# of crap in a 2# bag and you can still get to the frame... Not saying you won't have to be creative but you can

Most those tank trucks have smooth frames with only suspension parts to hook to. I’d rather the axle over that. On a lowbed it’s tougher sometimes to find points to chain to. Stepdeck with rub rail and pockets are easier to tie stuff down on.

Always taught to chain axle and not frame so the suspension doesn’t effect the chaining. The vehicle can move on its own suspension on the deck as that isn’t hurting anything. A semi on a trailer isn’t gonna throw my truck and trailer around.

That said on halftons it’s tough to get to axles on the front so I use overcenter traps on the front frame and suck them right down.

We'll use axles for front/rear control, still need more to cover total weight and length to meet regultations...
Some of that is rather stupid though, ie 41' 1000lb
Part needs 5 straps...:doh:.
Chaining a 70k load to a ~60k truck/trailer whose secured to who?

Back