Truckers, lets see your rigs!

One of your fellow mouth breathers make it to Michigan Leiffi? Probably the ride that’s gonna win that race.
1420e2eb2cf8da004d7cd92ddc1ddd06.jpg

That has to be a Canadian truck.

Still think we need a wall on the north side. At least Mexico was smart enough to keep the French out.

I still like the idea of shipping em high speed from the southern border straight across the northern. Let emhave fun with it

After screwing around on the internet today I see that steed speed makes a manifold for the c15 (new news to me). What do y’all think of this? Another spend money for the name or do y’all think it’s actually worth it? I still run a old mechanical engine but just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After screwing around on the internet today I see that steed speed makes a manifold for the c15 (new news to me). What do y’all think of this? Another spend money for the name or do y’all think it’s actually worth it? I still run a old mechanical engine but just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been discussed by Cody and Faulkner... however I don’t remember what the verdict was. Don’t believe Faulkner cares for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This has been discussed by Cody and Faulkner... however I don’t remember what the verdict was. Don’t believe Faulkner cares for them.

At first I liked them because it could be ordered with an external wastegate port. However his cocky attitude about how awesome they are online, and he blew off any concern Cody had about breaking studs. There’s no joints so the entire manifold grows when it gets hot. Seems like a great recipe for broken studs. Also it was flow tested and was worse than a stock manifold. Pdi offers an extrude honed version of their manifold and will admit it’s only good for a few HP IF your well above 1000hp. Steed was making Leiffi sized HP claims on his.

We’ve used PDI and Full Tilt and up until PDI started using Cummins seals (instead of being press fit) they were almost identical. The slip seals are a way better design.

I had intended on using a full tilt if ours ever needed/got one.

At first I liked them because it could be ordered with an external wastegate port. However his cocky attitude about how awesome they are online, and he blew off any concern Cody had about breaking studs. There’s no joints so the entire manifold grows when it gets hot. Seems like a great recipe for broken studs. Also it was flow tested and was worse than a stock manifold. Pdi offers an extrude honed version of their manifold and will admit it’s only good for a few HP IF your well above 1000hp. Steed was making Leiffi sized HP claims on his.

If manufactured properly (stud holes being drilled to proper size) and studs and spaces are used wouldn't there be enough room for thermal expansion? Are the joints needed in something like a steed?

I always questioned why a Cat used studs, spaces and nut and not bolts like a Cummins (855). I was told the studs, spacers and nuts allow the manifold to grow, expand and move with heat and vibration.

EDIT: Not questioning your concerns, just looking for your thoughts and opinions.

If manufactured properly (stud holes being drilled to proper size) and studs and spaces are used wouldn't there be enough room for thermal expansion? Are the joints needed in something like a steed?

I always questioned why a Cat used studs, spaces and nut and not bolts like a Cummins (855). I was told the studs, spacers and nuts allow the manifold to grow, expand and move with heat and vibration.

EDIT: Not questioning your concerns, just looking for your thoughts and opinions.

With 3 pcs they can grow at different rates. With Steed it’s a one piece plate and the holes are slotted. So your hoping the plate can slide behind the spacers and not break the studs. On one of my trucks I drilled and tapped for 7/16 bolts and they’re doing good. But I think people over tighten the nuts and don’t allow for expansion.

The problem with CAT's manifold design is that it assumes thermal expansion will be consistent across the entire part. This would work if the friction holding the manifold to the head was consistent, but then what happens when the highest coefficient of friction is not centered along the manifold? The manifold grows away from that point, leaving the other points on the manifold to compensate for the growth. The other issue is joint locking, where the slip joints can't slide inside one another. This compounds the other issue, because if one joint is locked, not the entire thing is expanding like a single piece.

We had hundreds of manifold repairs on a fleet of C13's. One night I got the idea to drill out the bolt holes to the same diameter on all of the ports. (cat didn't do this) so that the sections could slide farther without striking the studs. It seemed to work fairly well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The problem with CAT's manifold design is that it assumes thermal expansion will be consistent across the entire part. This would work if the friction holding the manifold to the head was consistent, but then what happens when the highest coefficient of friction is not centered along the manifold? The manifold grows away from that point, leaving the other points on the manifold to compensate for the growth. The other issue is joint locking, where the slip joints can't slide inside one another. This compounds the other issue, because if one joint is locked, not the entire thing is expanding like a single piece.

We had hundreds of manifold repairs on a fleet of C13's. One night I got the idea to drill out the bolt holes to the same diameter on all of the ports. (cat didn't do this) so that the sections could slide farther without striking the studs. It seemed to work fairly well.

This is why PDI’s slip seals are better than the OEM and FullTilt’s press fit. Cummins got one thing right.

Maybe I misunderstood here... which is superior? Full tilt or pdi?

This is why PDI’s slip seals are better than the OEM and FullTilt’s press fit. Cummins got one thing right.
Have you looked at the slips on the CT/Maxxforce 15? They have piston rings on them.

Also... these idiots have no clue. I even tried stopping them before they were done loading because I knew it wasn’t gonna work. The response I got was “have to finish loading you, then we’ll fix it if it’s wrong”. Ok!!!!
21c4adeedd6eb2115b7d16c0ce82785a.jpg

With 3 pcs they can grow at different rates. With Steed it’s a one piece plate and the holes are slotted. So your hoping the plate can slide behind the spacers and not break the studs. On one of my trucks I drilled and tapped for 7/16 bolts and they’re doing good. But I think people over tighten the nuts and don’t allow for expansion.

What did you drill the holes out to on the manifold?

I think torquing the manifold properly play a big part in it. We always torque ours to Cats recommendations in the sequence they recommend. We haven't had an issues with studs on a B or C model. I think a lot of times a shop thinks two ugga duggas with the air wrench is proper torque.

What did you drill the holes out to on the manifold?

I think torquing the manifold properly play a big part in it. We always torque ours to Cats recommendations in the sequence they recommend. We haven't had an issues with studs on a B or C model. I think a lot of times a shop thinks two ugga duggas with the air wrench is proper torque.

Didn’t need to drill manifold, the holes were already oversized. Just drilled head for larger bolts.

Have you looked at the slips on the CT/Maxxforce 15? They have piston rings on them.

Maxxforce is a dirty word here. I try and not look at them.

Maybe I misunderstood here... which is superior? Full tilt or pdi?

Between the two PDI because Full Tilt still uses press fit joints like OEM.

Back