Turbo and external wastegate?

J-Pipes

Truck used as dd and tow rig, currently has an oversized "bastard" turbo, traded a chainsaw to a buddy far an ats manifold that's setup for an external gate. Truck is supposed to have 125 injectors, a smarty, and airdog 150. Need to figure out a better turbo option as this one doesn't feel spooled until about 2000-2200 rpms, which is useless on a vp tow rig. Was thinking maybe a he351cw, or since the manifold is setup for a gate, find a gate, and run a cheap ungated housing charger. Looking for suggestions for a turbo, and gate, budget is very limited. Also what wastegate should I look for?

If money is limited buy an he351cw and block off the gate port on the manifold.

If you've got close to a grand to play with you have SOME options.

I have whatever I can get out of the old hx35, and the oddball that's on it! There's a guy on here that just started a turbo shop, wonder if he'd be interested in t 2 for 1 trade? Anyone remember who it is?

I have whatever I can get out of the old hx35, and the oddball that's on it! There's a guy on here that just started a turbo shop, wonder if he'd be interested in t 2 for 1 trade? Anyone remember who it is?

Yeah I know who he is LOL

You'll probably have a hard time pushing an hx35 on him though LOL

Any numbers or pictures of the oddball?

I can get pics tomorrow, had columbus diesel run the numbers when I got it, was told by previous owner, it's supposed to be a "small" 64mm charger, from what I remember, the tag on the center coded out to originally being 67mm titanium turbo from a mack. I'm hoping to get a chance to pull the cover and measure to see what it actually is, may not happen till a week of vacation in November!

Last edited:
Pssssst.... your talking to "the guy that just opened a turbo shop"... lol

Was thinking it may have been him, just couldn't remember for sure.

You open for business?

Yessir. As of monday. I have been working on getting back to you guys slowly but surely.

I have been trying to fly under the radar on here as much as possible as I am not a sponsor...yet ;)

What about Hx-35/bastard twins? As long as the bastard turbo's exhaust side is large enough, could be one of the cheaper options to get you where you want to be. Even if it ends up being a "peaky" setup should be fine on a VP tow rig.

What about Hx-35/bastard twins? As long as the bastard turbo's exhaust side is large enough, could be one of the cheaper options to get you where you want to be. Even if it ends up being a "peaky" setup should be fine on a VP tow rig.
I've thought about that, have to see what it actually measures. Only worry is will I nickel and dime myself into spending more with all the little things to button everything up.

I used to love building bastard twin setups or less than ideal twin setups. Was a fun process but I have found myself much happier with a single turbo. compounds can be fun but they can be a real headache as far as tuning goes. You can chase your tail in circles trying to combat drive pressure and over speed issues on the secondary if not sized properly in terms of wheel, housing, and wastegate sizing.

That being said it is hard to beat an hx35 and HT60 twin setup for a tow rig.

What are opinions of rebuilding the hx35 to a 60mm? I'm thinking at that point I'd probably be better with an he351 for the 4" exhaust outlet, think that would make a difference in heat retention? Or possibly allow lower drive pressure?

I used to love building bastard twin setups or less than ideal twin setups. Was a fun process but I have found myself much happier with a single turbo. compounds can be fun but they can be a real headache as far as tuning goes. You can chase your tail in circles trying to combat drive pressure and over speed issues on the secondary if not sized properly in terms of wheel, housing, and wastegate sizing.

That being said it is hard to beat an hx35 and HT60 twin setup for a tow rig.

And this is EXACTLY why I'm looking at an S369 or S371 with a turbine diverter valve...

Here's a couple pics of what's on the truck now
192fb8de4e184f6d37ad557f24c9519e.jpg
8ba2f45273d488a8a82e532a5da5839e.jpg

Thats an E7 Mack turbo more than likely. Essentially a bastardized s300 variant.

That's kinda how I understood it, it's an s300, but different than the rest.

Yeah Mack did some funky things. for what reason i have no idea. I find s400 variants as well. If you notice on that one it is a typical s300 except it has a v band compressor. Probably a 62 or 64 mm wheel.

The S400 variants are basically an s464 except for an oddball turbine every now and then and the compressor cover is close to 2" narrower in diameter. Again, not sure what the heck Mack and borg had going on but they can be a pain to deal with.

Mack turbos can be converted with some CAT parts that biggy on here made mention of in a thread as well. Not really worth your time to twin with it. Nor is it really cost effective to buy expensive cat housings to convert it unless you have a buddy with a graveyard of engines to rob housings from like some of us LOL

Was told the exhaust housing is a cat housing, something about the wastegate shape? There is a local guy, actually a second cousin or something like that, that used to work for columbus diesel that has his own ag and diesel shop now, I'm planning on checking with him, he usually has a fair stockpile of stuff.

If it is a gated t3 housing it is more than likely a .8 AR housing. Common on S300 turbos found on smaller CAT engines. The exhaust housing is the expensive part and you have that covered.

Industrial diesel turbos are a nightmare at times. CAT and Mack felt the need to try and make it difficult and proprietary in some way.

I will look tomorrow at my spare s300 cat stuff. I had a couple of covers I think but they may have been s200 I cant recall right now.

Back