Turbo and external wastegate?

Ok, the other variable I forgot about is the wastegate is stuck. I un bolted it, put compressed air to it, the actuator would move, but the lever that goes into the exhaust housing would not move. I don't know where it's stuck at, open, closed, somewhere in between? Have wondered if that's my real problem? If maybe it's not too big, just not working right.

Freeing up gates can be a real pain in the azz. A mix of ATF and acetone works wonders to free things up. Heat cycles with a welding tip on a torch can be used. Just be careful as the bushing in there can spin in the housing rather than free from the shaft. Once it is nice and hot you can feed some paraffin wax in as well.

Best to pull the turbo and pull the plate off that covers the gate so you can see what you are doing.

That's my plan, wait till I get it off the truck and pull the plate to see what's going on. I guess if it's stuck open, or partially open, if you guys don't think it's too big for my setup, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another try?

Actually could be a fun little turbo. They like to freeze closed rather than open more times than not. They spend their life on a stationary engine or in a truck driven easy they just never open much. Could be frozen open a hair though.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet given you don't have anything in it right?

Think I have around 500 to 600 in it and the downpipe, I got it from a friend who went to compounds on his 12v, ran really good on it. Also plan to double check for boost leaks as well, checked before and didn't find any, but you never know. This truck has never shown over 38lbs boost, checked the gauge, it's good, friend made 60+ psi with this turbo on his 12v.

Has an interesting thought while mowing, say this turbo does measure out at 64mm, and the wastegate is messed up, if I got the gate working, would I be better off (cheaper) to step up the injectors to match, or step down the turbo? If injectors was wondering what size, and who? Thinking just change tips and have them checked out?

Back