Turbo coatings

Win slow

I am going to try coating my turbo housings with a thermal barrier coat i was wondering if any one had done this and had pics or suggestions on what to coat and what not to.

Exhaust housing I assume, I coated mine with white lighting from Nitro plate.

I will be using Cerakote a ceramic thermal barrier, black on ext and silver on compressor housing to reflect ext manifold heat. I used their products on my pistons with good results, at least applying it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440615707.609446.jpg

I just got these done by a local coater. Haven't put them to use yet however the guy said the heat won't be a problem with this coating. Only cost $200 for two housings and the t4 spacer.

I'm planning on going with Techline's Satin Black coating to match the Steed Speed. It's rated at 1700°F sustained and short bursts of 2000°F IIRC.

I take all my parts to Swain-Tech and have ceramic coated.
Some of these coatings you need to watch because they will flake
off when they get too hot.

On edit it was Swain tech who did the exhaust housing and nitro plate who did the exhaust manifold.

Has anybody seen gains from coating the manifold or turbine housing? I'd be willing to try pistons, fire deck, exhaust ports as well, but the only one I've seen pictures of that stood up was Swain's gold coat on the pistons. The others couldn't be done with the gold (to my understanding), and others wondered how tough the ceramic was (come off easy when lapping seat and valves). What kind of success have you all gotten with coating the manifold and turbo and did you end up with the external coating that some guys use or were you able to find an internal one durable enough?

I always get my piping coated.

Here was the last stuff:

imagejpg1-12.jpg

I still wrap the hot pipe with Titanium wrap...just to help keep the heat inside the pipe.

Here is the turbine housing on the secondary:
It's color is called Titanium, and supposed to be good for 2000*

imagejpg3.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ That 71/14 gated turbine housing you sold me a few years ago with the green/gray ceramic coating still looks amazing.

were you able to find an internal one durable enough?

This was my main concern about having the turbine housing coated. I figured that if the inside of the Steed Speed's are coated then the turbine housing should be less of an issue since the air is cooled from there on that it's less of a problem. The only thing that I will talk to my turbo builder about before doing so is the clearance to the TW.

Who do you use for coating?

Top Gun Coatings in Calgary, Alberta.

I get everything coated inside and out...have never had any issues at all.

Can't get much hotter than this area, and they still look brand new today.

imagejpg1-5.jpg

Last edited:
My father and I get just about everthing cerakoted. Here is a pic of my pops engine parts that were in our powder coater's magazine ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-09-20-15-30-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-20-15-30-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
I tried the Jethot coating once.

ShinyParts.jpg

It lasted about three months or so.

Rusty-JetHot.jpg

I sent it back (warranty), they redid it, and within the same time frame . . .

RustyJethotClose.jpg

Screw it, I sent it all to Carolina Ceramic Coatings And had the strip the JetHot and:
- Coat the exterior of the hot stuff with their stuff (I can't remember the name). It specifically retains heat (for the benefit of driving the turbos).
- Coat the interior of the hot stuff with a heat reflecting coating so as to better keep the heat from getting in the iron to start with.
- Coat the exterior of the compressor housings so as to better shed (radiate) the heat.

CeramicHotStuff.jpg

CeramicManifold.jpg

NOTE: The exterior of the new stuff is like that shown using the JetHot . . . . . . FOUR years later.

-

Last edited:
I tried the Jethot coating once.

ShinyParts.jpg

It lasted about three months or so.

Rusty-JetHot.jpg

I sent it back (warranty), they redid it, and within the same time frame . . .

RustyJethotClose.jpg

Screw it, I sent it all to Carolina Ceramic Coatings And had the strip the JetHot and:
- Coat the exterior of the hot stuff with their stuff (I can't remember the name). It specifically retains heat (for the benefit of driving the turbos).
- Coat the interior of the hot stuff with a heat reflecting coating so as to better keep the heat from getting in the iron to start with.
- Coat the exterior of the compressor housings so as to better shed (radiate) the heat.

CeramicHotStuff.jpg

CeramicManifold.jpg

NOTE: The exterior of the new stuff is like that shown using the JetHot . . . . . . FOUR years later.

-

Whose hot pipe ? What's the average cost of this. My steed doesn't look good anymore

Back