Turbo's and air density.

Gas yes....diesel, its a no no. For the level of power you are running , the only one I would bother bolting in is from Pressurized. Double walled....yadda...yadda.

Is your opinion based off boost because there are a ton of pulling tractors running precision coolers without problems that are above his power level.

Is your opinion based off boost because there are a ton of pulling tractors running precision coolers without problems that are above his power level.

why is it that the automotive aftermarket does not abide by ASME codes???

I wonder how heavy an intercooler would be if it was built per ASME Section VIII, Div. 1

Had a customers come apart, and it was quite scary. I wont sell one or run one that isn't double walled. All it takes it for one of my customers to pay the ultimate price for a hobby they love. Not worth the chance to us.

I suppose it's worthy to note whether the intercooler would be mounted in the passenger comparment or not, yes?

why is it that the automotive aftermarket does not abide by ASME codes???

I wonder how heavy an intercooler would be if it was built per ASME Section VIII, Div. 1

It would probably be like the old "Cowboy after OSHA" drawings.

Attachments

• osha-cowboy.jpg
    osha-cowboy.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I believe the secondary is a restriction and it seems like this would be a good way to allow it to more effectively move the air from the primary to the intercooler with a side benefit of having the air entering the air/air cooler be at a much lower temperature(and hopefully lower coming out). At least that's how my brain is seeing it.
Nitrous is not an option for me.

RonA

As long as you don't expect a big horsepower difference, I think you'll be OK.

Only nitrous will make more horsepower. Intercooling doesn't actually work.

We had to have a slight change made to the drawing, so as soon as i see the new one I'll place the order. I love dealing with people that know their stuff.
I know it won't make any more power, but 25-30 pounds of aluminum is going to nearly double the scrap value of my rolling chassis so it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
I'm willing to pay $.50 on the dollar more than scrap prices. Keep me in mind. There is aluminum in turbo stuff too so we might as well throw those in.

We had to have a slight change made to the drawing, so as soon as i see the new one I'll place the order. I love dealing with people that know their stuff.
I know it won't make any more power, but 25-30 pounds of aluminum is going to nearly double the scrap value of my rolling chassis so it's a no brainer.

So your rolling chasis is about 210lbs?

interstage cooling will decrease volume(flow), not increase volume(flow). In theory you need a smaller compressor impeller (less flow than if you didn't do interstage cooling) to do similar work(compression). Air is more difficult(requires more work) to compress when intake air is at 400 deg's F than 200 deg's F, because the air is become/or becoming superheated. Basically the fan laws become more difficult to predict with any certainly.

Got an email that they are getting ready to pressure test this thing so as long as it passes, I should have it next week. I think that for testing I may just lay it on the fender with a pad under it on the dyno. Seems like the easiest way. Just 2 water lines and 2 4" air lines. It would be fun to do a more involved test gathering more temperature and pressure data, but I won't be set up for it. Maybe a project for next year.

Got an email that they are getting ready to pressure test this thing so as long as it passes, I should have it next week. I think that for testing I may just lay it on the fender with a pad under it on the dyno. Seems like the easiest way. Just 2 water lines and 2 4" air lines. It would be fun to do a more involved test gathering more temperature and pressure data, but I won't be set up for it. Maybe a project for next year.

No problem send it to me after your finished.......:pop:

For testing purposes if the dyno shop has a good water supply it would be pretty easy to just garden hose it and dump to floor drain.

So... Where can a person find a compressor map that is calculated at 3.0PR and say 200* F inlet, instead of at 14.7psia and 70*F or whatever standards they use. Or how could a person recalculate a map to show this. With a map like that you could actually determine how many lb/min you are flowing in a twin circumstance and might help with tuning?

You have to recalculate the compressor PR maps, as they change quite drastically going from ambient conditions to a totally different air density.

Rona, I would hook-up a few air in/outlet temperature sensors (in/outlet coolant temps) just quantify the improvements of the discharge air. Best way to see the improvements is to measure the delta change as air temps change based upon the liquid to air coolant inlet temps. Obviously you colder you the coolant is better, as you don't want to increase air temps with warm coolant. I was going to rig up a smaller set-up for my truck, I sized mine for 600-800HP.

You have to recalculate the compressor PR maps, as they change quite drastically going from ambient conditions to a totally different air density.

Right, exactly, but how?? :doh: Have searched alot, but haven't been able to find anything?

There is some math involved. Do a google search on compressor fan laws, enthalpy and entropy. I have a few different thermdynamic matrixs (to predict the thermdynamic effects of different gas).

Just for inlet pressure of 25-50psi, there isn't to much map shift to worry about. Probably the biggest change is that as the air density increases, the power requirement increases.

Back