twin P-pump?

It looked like the benefit was having one pump set at a relatively low timing, and the other pump set at high timing, the pump with higher timing coming on later in the RPM range. Kind of a ghetto variable timing setup.

Well, some of the biggest advances in technology happen when an idiot tries something stupid, maybe someday I'll get to be that idiot.

I may have come up with an idea here, but it would require belt driving the pump. Pain in the ass I'm sure, but I may try it anyway. At least it would get the pump out of the way of my intake manifold.

This has been around for a while now. It's exactly like you were stating. The benefit is timing.

I think a chain driven ppump would be great too. Then you could do valve timing like DOHC engines do between cams (I'm not familiar with the internals of it, but one spins at controlled degrees forward or backward).

I was thinking single pump driven by a toothed belt off of the crank snout, with a moving idler setup to vary the timing.

I've seen where people say it's been around, but I can't seem to find any examples of a working setup.

I was thinking single pump driven by a toothed belt off of the crank snout, with a moving idler setup to vary the timing.

I've seen where people say it's been around, but I can't seem to find any examples of a working setup.

Adjusting the idler would only adjust timing while the idler is giving or removing tension, (so maybe a couple firing events at most) and would give the opportunity to skip a tooth (or more).

That's exactly the setup I have been thinking about for a number of years. Put two idler pulleys on it that both move at the same time to move the "excess" belt length from behind the pump gear to ahead of it to advance the pump timing in relation to the crank.

Picture a long travel spring loaded idler on the slack side, then another idler with an actuator on the tension side. As the actuator pulls in the tension side of the belt, timing would increase as the slack got pulled around to the tension side of the belt.

Here's my idea, and in reality it wouldn't take much movement to get the timing advance needed.

variable%20timing_zps0xpwvg22.jpg

Last edited:
Adapt a cam phaser to the original p pump gear. Oil pressure controls advance in the gear itself.

My thought was the same idea except with the idlers positioned close to the pump, and pulling in rather than out. Not that it would male much difference. I've been thinking an air cylinder off of the secondary would do nicely, low timing for torque and to light the turbo(s), as soon as you have boost let it advance.

Why not just build a centrifugal advance like a Caterpillar?

Last edited:
Why not run a 12 plunger pump with a modified cam, allowing pilot/main events?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

If I recall the cat system is pretty bulky, I might be able to copy it, I was just concerned about any slop in the linkages letting the torsional pulses of the pump hammer the gear apart, and/or causing the governor to do funky things.

The cam phaser idea intrigues me, I'll look into that.

A 12 cylinder pump seems like it would be hard to fit, hard to find, and expensive, but very cool.

The belt drive just seemed like something I could build with a welder and lathe without getting into heavy duty math to machine helixes and such into a gear

Back