twin turbos on a manual truck

I can agree with that, except for the part about belittling the other guy. He did that himself by offering nothing in the way of information or explanation for the OP, and instead made bs playground comments to me. If someone wants to make comments like a 6 yr old who wants the sandbox all to himself I'll treat them that way. If you haven't noticed, I don't participate in any popularity contests, so I don't give a damn what anybody, or any "group" feels about something. I just deal in tangible things. Feelings and emotions are a waste of time in a discussion like this one. They don't make engines stronger, nor truck's faster.

I learned years ago that arguing with idiots is a waste of breath and typing.

We agree.

What does low 500's have to do with the damn thread? Or anything in it?

And why do you guys keep making these brilliant arguments that a 7.3L Powerstroke is better than a P7100 equipped 5.9 for a street truck? You and Forrest have now both made the same argument. Maybe you should sell your pos with static timing, that won't breath and is lacking displacement then. They seem to work great to me, but to hear you two describe them you'd swear they were the biggest pieces of crap on the planet.

Because that's what the OP said he was wanting. Yeah, stupid us for giving him advice that will help him accomplish his goals. You are completely right, we'd be way better off helping him spec out a set of turbos for a pro street 7.3

I'd much rather have a 5.9 for any use. As would Forrest. That's why we bought them. But we are also realistic, 12v engines have limitations just like anything. And you have to build with those in mind. I'd rather deal with static timing, and a head that doesn't flow so great to have a very simple, durable mechanical injection system on a truck that will run with almost anything combustible in the tank.

Because that's what the OP said he was wanting. Yeah, stupid us for giving him advice that will help him accomplish his goals. You are completely right, we'd be way better off helping him spec out a set of turbos for a pro street 7.3

I'd much rather have a 5.9 for any use. As would Forrest. That's why we bought them. But we are also realistic, 12v engines have limitations just like anything. And you have to build with those in mind. I'd rather deal with static timing, and a head that doesn't flow so great to have a very simple, durable mechanical injection system on a truck that will run with almost anything combustible in the tank.

The first power goal number that comes up on page one is 600's, and the second 700's.

Wow i didnt think the responses would be like that. I enjoy the reading. I have to say not all turbo setups are for everyone. I wanted to know if it was feasable for a compound setup with a manual truck. I thank all of you for the responses and wonder would an hx35 with an s400 like the one majestic sells be a good setup. I really want just a daily driver with some power. I was hoping to be building about 500hp to the wheels. I have a single 66 71 12 on it now and it is fairly laggy. I have been kicking the idea of compounds and wondered what you guys would have to say. I have to say you have a lot to say on the matter. If i was to use the hx 35 as the top what would be the downside to using a 480 vs a 475? Would the turbine housing on the hx 35 create a restriction at that point? Would i have to get a turbine housing on the 36 in the 16cm range? Thanks all :rockwoot:
Those were theoretical numbers for suggested setups. This is where the guy that started the thread threw out what he wanted for the first time. I made it a little easier for you to find.

Those were theoretical numbers for suggested setups. This is where the guy that started the thread threw out what he wanted for the first time. I made it a little easier for you to find.

Correct. He had already been coerced into your way of thinking by then. Congratulations, you beat him down to your level by telling him how insane the thought of a 600+hp daily driver would be, and how laggy, peaky and what a dyno queen it would be.

Congrats.

I was referring to what he wanted before Forrest got ahold of him.

My way of thinking? I beat him down? That's pretty funny! My first post in this thread was well after that...

And we all like Forrest, but he isn't quite that influential around here. Maybe all you Ford boys are that easily influenced but most of us are capable of thinking for ourselves...

My way of thinking? I beat him down? That's pretty funny! My first post in this thread was well after that...

And we all like Forrest, but he isn't quite that influential around here. Maybe all you Ford boys are that easily influenced but most of us are capable of thinking for ourselves...

Um, I'm not the one that changed my tune from 600.... 700 and then went, well, I guess I'd just be happy with 500, the OP did. Don't think he's a "Ford Boy", yet he was most certainly influenced by this thread. If 500hp for a 12v on the street is simply more realistic than 600 to 700 fine. Although if that's the case, then I just lost a lot of respect for the 12v.

Maddog drove his 12valve on the street, and it made what 1100? After 500 though smoke is a thing you need to deal with.

OP didn't say 700, 600, 500. Other people threw numbers out there that various setups would support.

It helps to read who posted what...

OP didn't say 700, 600, 500. Other people threw numbers out there that various setups would support.

It helps to read who posted what...

The OP suggested an HX35/HT3B combo from the start. Someone threw out 550 to 600ish hp and the OP's response to that was to note that it was only good for 600hp. Then good ole pipefitter suggested he lose the 35 and he could crest 700hp.

Forrest quickly smashed all that crazy talk though. That's what actually transpired.

Right or wrong I saw a guy that wanted some damned power and who got knocked back to "reality" for a mech street truck. If that's the reality for a 12v mech engine fine. My mistake.

If that's the reality for a 12v mech engine fine. My mistake.

I'm not sure what the limit is. But I really haven't seen any that put out much more then 5-550 rwhp without heat/smoke issues that are good for towing. And if there are some out there, it'd be great to hear the setups. But then it comes back to how much a person's idea of little smoke really is.

Charles, have you ever wondered why us Dodge folks recommend the setups that we do? Could it possibly be because we've worked on these trucks, we've dynoed these trucks, and we've driven these trucks and we know what works best for what combo? It has nothing to do with us wanting small turbos, just the fact that our engines can not spool a bigger turbo like a 7.3 can. 7.3's have 2 advantages over a 12v, dynamic timing, larger displacement. Both of those enable spool up. Look at a 24v. Better head flow and dynamic timing, and they spool larger turbos easier. A 66/big brother combo on a CR will spool 10x faster than that combo on a 12v.

Having personally run a 62/65/12, a 62/71/13ss, a 62/71/13ss with a cam, and now a 66/71/13ss with a cam, I can tell you that the 66 will make more power above 2000rpm but from 1400rpm-1900rpm the 62 wins hands down. And that 500rpm difference makes a BIG difference in power under the curve.

And excuse us for not wanting to tell this guy to over build a set of twins that he would probably end up hating and bringing him back down to reality. Some of us don't have the benefit of living in fantasy land.

Here's a question for you Charles, since you seem to think that us dodge guys think to small what size twins would you recommend for the OP's intended application?

And actually the OP wanted to know if twins were even worth running on a manual truck and was curious about the 35/3b combo. I recommended that those were great for 550 and under and would do 600 but were more suited to below it. The 35/3b combo is one of the most proven combinations out there. They spool great, they flow plenty of air for around 550hp, and they tow nice. With a 12v your not going to tow at 550+ (I'm sure there are folks who are but they aren't the norm). It's just not gonna happen without a valet switch and some other method of keeping things cool. Problem you run in to with a valet switch is that while your twins might spool great at 600hp, flip the valet switch and drop down to 400hp or so and cut your fuel in half and those big twins are no longer as much fun.

Us dodge guys have to run a smaller set of turbos to give us the same result as your larger set. We are dealing with less flow, less displacement, and static timing (at least in a 12v application). It's just as simple as that. We could tell the guy a great twin combo for 800hp if we wanted but that's not what he wanted so that's not what we gave him.

We could tell the guy a great twin combo for 800hp if we wanted but that's not what he wanted so that's not what we gave him.

How can you make a turbo suggestion that will produce > 500hp? I mean, since you've never been there, ever.

How can you make a turbo suggestion that will produce > 500hp? I mean, since you've never been there, ever.
Yeah, none of us have ever worked on a truck other than ours. And yeah, it's Tyler's fault his ECM is not fueling.

And what did he do to you to make your life become so consumed by belittling him and his truck? And to think that you are really bothering him and getting to him?

Lmao. Weston give it up. Your not gonna bother me or make me feel stupid just by saying I'm an idiot because my truck has never been over 500hp. I've got plenty of experience dealing with and driving and working on 500+hp trucks to be able to recommend a decent turbo. These trucks aren't rocket science (especially the VP's) so why don't you just give it up and admit it to yourself that I'm not the dumb SOB you think I am.

Believe it or not I'm not a drunk SOB or a dumb SOB. And I don't need a 500hp truck to recommend a turbo. If that's the case then every poster on this website under 500hp shouldn't be allowed to recommend a turbo. I mean, afterall, isn't that what your saying weston? That people under 500hp don't know what they are talking about so how could they possibly ever recommend a turbo?

I believe a few people reading this thread, including the man in particuliar that is making you look like fools, realize the "posse" who think post count means something.

Back