VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

How many times must you be made to look like a fool?

If you are ever successful, I'll let you know.

What happened to you anyway? couple years ago you would post good detailed info, but lately not much but negative BS. This board is supposed to be about a group of enthusiasts sharing info and experiences about the diesels they work on. If these guys are wasting their time, so be it, but they are willing to put themselves out here on an open forum to pool info to try to get to an end, good or bad. They simply want to learn more than they knew yesterday. If you have something to offer that can save them some time/effort (other than dont bother) feel free to enlighten us. But petty or nasty belittling comments help no one. $.02

The VP44 is the restriction, period. It was designed to work inside a certain set of variables, if it were only an electronic issue, it would have been solved by now. In some instances the '98-00 engines respond better to some of the before mentioned alterations, most likely due to the fact they have both the crankshaft and cam position sensors. However there was no certain result, and the absence of considerable gains left little hope for great advancements.

If you are ever successful, I'll let you know.

Smokem said:
Maybe a longer hotpipe with Chinese knock-offs is a good idea, slows down the parts of the turbine wheel before it reaches the other two.

They are waiting to go on on my '01, just need that PVP pump to wrap it up.

What happened to you anyway? couple years ago you would post good detailed info, but lately not much but negative BS.

Ignorance has driven me to this.

The VP44 is the restriction, period. It was designed to work inside a certain set of variables, if it were only an electronic issue, it would have been solved by now. In some instances the '98-00 engines respond better to some of the before mentioned alterations, most likely due to the fact they have both the crankshaft and cam position sensors. However there was no certain result, and the absence of considerable gains left little hope for great advancements.

OK, the vp44 is the restriction. I understand that advancing 10* will lose bottom end because the vp can't pull timing back far enough to compensate. That said, although it is now a complete dog, why won't it rev out past 4300rpm? How can the vp possibly know it is out of range? Doesn't make sense, I'm thinking it is because of ecm restrictions.

I will continue to do something productive, you, and the other people in this thread, continue debating the past.

"Thread killer" preaching on keeping the thread alive.

Ignorance has driven me to this.

It is not "debating the past". We are trying to learn "why" it doesn't work...instead of just saying "it was tried by higher powers "better than you" & they failed. So therefor you will fail." I mean c'mon, you never wanted to understand something for yourself after others telling you it didn't work?

Should I say "Owned" here? Or is that something only Mr. Koth and Mr. Shupe do?

Not yet. I just got my boost leak squared away last night, so I'm back in action there. And a good friend of mine just moved to a bigger shop with an in ground superflow dyno, so there will be some testing action pretty soon. Also I'm figuring out exactly what signals to look at between the pump and the ECM and the pump's ECM and the timing solenoid.
Sean

It can be, Mustangs can be accurate, but only with a good operator, same with the superflo units, there is some skill involved. Dynojets are likely the most "idiot proof" out there due to how they work.

HM, just curious. I get to run at the highschool for $30, 3 runs. I just wonder how accurate he is. All he does is load info on the truck, click a button and says go.

Should I say "Owned" here? Or is that something only Mr. Koth and Mr. Shupe do?

Hey Phil, The Diesel Garage not keeping you entertained enough these days? Still trying to convince me that Matt and I are the same person I see, your ignorance astonishes me. Well, I guess if this redundant thread must go on, let Phily here solve all your issues of lacking low end power by removing the intercooler, "it helps throttle respond."

OK, the vp44 is the restriction. I understand that advancing 10* will lose bottom end because the vp can't pull timing back far enough to compensate. That said, although it is now a complete dog, why won't it rev out past 4300rpm? How can the vp possibly know it is out of range? Doesn't make sense, I'm thinking it is because of ecm restrictions.

The VP44's advance is not infinite, it is limited, you are only raising the static portion, I doubt it has changed the upper limit at all. Did you not read previously in this waste of bandwidth, the ECM was diverted, both the lift pump and injection pump had their own power supply, Redline Unlimited, and no more RPM.

Screw it, Weston... I'm Jumping on the bandwagon.
Please let us know how this testing goes. I am very interested in the advancement for us VP guys! Glad to see some folks are still pushing the envelope for the VP44!!!!!!

Hey Phil, The Diesel Garage not keeping you entertained enough these days? Still trying to convince me that Matt and I are the same person I see, your ignorance astonishes me. Well, I guess if this redundant thread must go on, let Phily here solve all your issues of lacking low end power by removing the intercooler, "it helps throttle respond."

2 people, running 2 different public business's. And I'm going to be the conspiracy theorist and say it's just 1? OK sure.

Same state, same belief system, same arrogant attitude. You two will always get tied together, get over it. Although I was wondering where you were when Matt argued 3500 and 4500 GM's are the same except the cab. Or was that the 5th time you were banned?

You are the thread killer, stop crying about a thread getting de-railed. That only makes sense to you.

Or was that the 5th time you were banned?

You are the thread killer, stop crying about a thread getting de-railed. That only makes sense to you.

Very easily could have been the 5th time, getting banned from there is like escaping from a Mental Hospital. I don't care about this thread in the least bit, I learn from what's been done, some don't. And I do believe what you classify as arrogance, would be a distaste for ingorance instead.

The VP44's advance is not infinite, it is limited, you are only raising the static portion, I doubt it has changed the upper limit at all. Did you not read previously in this waste of bandwidth, the ECM was diverted, both the lift pump and injection pump had their own power supply, Redline Unlimited, and no more RPM.

It definately changed something with the powerband. It felt like the sweet spot was just hitting at 3700rpm when I was at 10*. The truck was no fun to drive before 2300rpm, but it definately felt like it changed the peak. Only dyno time will prove that though. If it shows to be at higher rpm, that is all I need. If not, I'll walk away knowing why & what caused it.

2 people, running 2 different public business's. And I'm going to be the conspiracy theorist and say it's just 1? OK sure.

Same state, same belief system, same arrogant attitude. You two will always get tied together, get over it. Although I was wondering where you were when Matt argued 3500 and 4500 GM's are the same except the cab. Or was that the 5th time you were banned?

Now im really confused i didnt know Matt Koth and Weston Shupe are the same guy. I will say ive meet them both and they both know a thing or two about the vp44. But they are both from iowa and no one around here knows anything about diesel performance. :hehe:

Back