yryqe7a6.jpg

Black smoke low power...
hysu5equ.jpg
y9yma3ub.jpg

Snapped off oil pump drive gear...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Yes yes I've seen all that before. They're little so when they go boom it sound more like tin man taking a fart.

No the turbo squealed like a 6.0l ps till it popped and the head/egr one well went just like a 6 leaker does

Maintenance is your friend. All those pictures show lack of maintenance.
A bunch of my friends and myself have been running VW diesels for years and we've never blew a head gasket. We've seen an occasional turbo failure but that was from a major overfuel condition, not lack of maintenance. The first set of ARP head studs I installed in one was back in '02, the kit wasn't even made for a VW tdi diesel but it worked well. We even put a complete tdi drivetrain under the front of an old rabbit and converted it to a mechanical pump, talk about a fun little car!

Bottom line is, you treat any vehicle like **** and it will **** the bed on ya.

Last edited:
Thats what keeps me employed folks can play me now to take care of it or pay me more later to fix it.

It hit 16° here in DE and going from 50° with humidity to below freezing in a weeks time aint good 2nd one in two days froze solid came in on tow as a no start

Usually there isnt that much water but when it gets this cold really fast the moisture builds up

TDI's like to have the **** out of them and they'll last forever.

I beat the **** out mine 2.5x as hard as stock
tn_IMG_20121231_221439.jpg

TDI's like to have the **** out of them and they'll last forever.

I beat the **** out mine 2.5x as hard as stock
tn_IMG_20121231_221439.jpg

Yes i tell folks you gota lean on em at least once a week they like being run hard

If mine sits for more then 3 days the gremlins seem to come out. The turbo vanes stick and will go into limb mode.

Since my car is red its only fitting to beat on it like a redhead step child. :)
Since this is a thread about TDI carange I thought I would add some of my own. Stock clutch with 260k on it. One day leave working she just gave up the ghost.
IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

And my intake when I bought the car
IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

All welded back together
IMG_0225.jpg

No more flap
IMG_0226.jpg

I have a question for you VW guys. A friend of mine has a 99 Jetta ALH with high miles. A few weeks ago I pulled the injectors and pop tested them, they leaked very bad and had a 200 psi spread on pop pressure. I replaced the nozzles with the same thing I've been using for years and now it has a hole melted in one piston. My feeling is that damage had already been done with the old nozzles and just took until now to rear its ugly head. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have a question for you VW guys. A friend of mine has a 99 Jetta ALH with high miles. A few weeks ago I pulled the injectors and pop tested them, they leaked very bad and had a 200 psi spread on pop pressure. I replaced the nozzles with the same thing I've been using for years and now it has a hole melted in one piston. My feeling is that damage had already been done with the old nozzles and just took until now to rear its ugly head. Any ideas?

Ill bet it was already on the way out with the old injectors. Or he got her really hot are they bigger then stock?

I assume you pop tested the new ones?

Did you test the main pressures? I'm assuming you didn't - takes special components to do that. What nozzles did you install?

I find that installing new nozzles of a different manufacturer messes with the pilot and main pressures, If the pilots come out near perfect, the mains are usually +60bar or more, not really sure why.

Some carnage:
HZXoI.jpg

KW1P6.jpg

bYr2g.jpg

1IULi.jpg

Diagnosed by a mechanic as "bad injection pump"
onQ1XQG.jpg

I assume you pop tested the new ones?

Did you test the main pressures? I'm assuming you didn't - takes special components to do that. What nozzles did you install?

I find that installing new nozzles of a different manufacturer messes with the pilot and main pressures, If the pilots come out near perfect, the mains are usually +60bar or more, not really sure why.

Some carnage:
HZXoI.jpg

KW1P6.jpg

bYr2g.jpg

1IULi.jpg

Diagnosed by a mechanic as "bad injection pump"
onQ1XQG.jpg

Timing belts work better with a tensioner..... where all the lifter buckets punched thru? And how many of the rods bent?

Back