Vw carnage

That thing has some excessively long injection duration. You need bigger injectors.

Its a customers car bone stock dont see much more then an intake upgrade at my work
Maybe a alh with injectors or an intake and a diffrent turbo and a short throw shiftet but 95% of what i see is stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know of a tdi passat wagon manual trans in the mid atlantic area they wanta sell ill take a blown motor car...

Ill bet it was already on the way out with the old injectors. Or he got her really hot are they bigger then stock?

110 horse european nozzles from bosch. Been using them for years and never an issue. The car did pick up fuel mileage and had slight power increase with the new nozzles exactly as we see on every install. The engine ran smooth as well.
I assume you pop tested the new ones?

Did you test the main pressures? I'm assuming you didn't - takes special components to do that. What nozzles did you install?

I find that installing new nozzles of a different manufacturer messes with the pilot and main pressures, If the pilots come out near perfect, the mains are usually +60bar or more, not really sure why.

I do pop test the injectors after a nozzle swap to be sure they are balanced. If adjustments are required I do adjust them. The boy left here the day after the nozzle swap and drove 800+ miles to a temporary job transfer, it averaged 50+ mpg and ran well. After a few weeks of running around locally it started running rough and smoking white out the tail pipe, the garage he took it to suspects that it melted a hole in a piston.

all lifters punched, 1 bent rod. everyone told him it was bad fuel :doh:

After a few weeks of running around locally it started running rough and smoking white out the tail pipe, the garage he took it to suspects that it melted a hole in a piston.

Sounds like another one of those ridiculous shops.

It could be that it isn't holding timing or something jumped, so many possibilities.

I understand all those posibilities quite well however I'm in PA and the car and owner are in Bama. I have to talk with the owner yet, he is a member here maybe he'll see this.

5 for 5
seda4ebu.jpg
duma7a8e.jpg

jujy2uga.jpg

#6 and the 7 th one is on order

Mopar, have you seen any turbo failures on the CKRA motors in the Passats yet? Seems to be more common in the cold climates.

Yep we just had one 2012 passat 3000 miles. They have alot of them going up i think its lack of oil

Not my 2 photos but it seem to be a common issue
evenu4ab.jpg

eja2e7y8.jpg

Alot of snapped shafts and chewed up turbines

You must not be in USA? that manifold doesn't look like a standard CR140

You must not be in USA? that manifold doesn't look like a standard CR140

Like i said not my pics but those are from here in the usa washington state is where the tech took the pics.
And its not for a tdi 2.0l jetta its the passat 2.0l tdi they are different

Any confirmation from VW about the failures or is it too soon to tell?

A lot of turbo failures happen due to improper cool down, mainly while at 1900 degrees during regeneration. Keep in mind there is no warning light for regeneration, a scan gauge or the torque app is your best friend since it'll read EGT. I wish VW could be more like Fiat sometimes, Fiat made sure to install an oil pump for the turbo to keep oil flow for a few minutes after shut down.

Last edited:
A lot of turbo failures happen due to improper cool down, mainly while at 1900 degrees during regeneration.

While I agree, I will say that the reported failures I've been hearing are from owners who take very good care of their TDI's and know well enough about cool down procedures regardless of regen or not. I've been following over on TDI Club.

Not yet im sure itll be a tsb or update.

Hopefully so. I plan on buying one in the next 4-5 months. I've read that VW is sending replacement turbos from Germany to the dealers who are receiving the vehicles with failed turbos. Whether they're updated or not, I don't know at the moment.

Last edited:
Got my first one today fault for wg actuator checked it out and the turbo is done feels rough to spin and oil in the intake
4500 miles
Called tech line and they are upgraded units better bearings and oiling

Last edited:
Back